radiator hose lengths-MB

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
Ben
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

radiator hose lengths-MB

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:41 pm

This "G" Q&A stuff is addictive.
I have been trying to determine the correct length of the rad hose (steel tube type) pieces for my April 44 MB. My calculations from photos come up with 3.5 " each. Is this right?
If anyone is interested, the original steel upper and lower pipes that came with the jeep in a parts box were the semi-gloss (Were they supposed to be gloss black?)black as well as the rad itself. The upper straight one was rusted out so I bought a piece from a muffler shop for 2 bucks. It is a perfect size.
Since it is apart anyway, I was thinking of applying some type of primer/rust preventive on the inside of these tubes. Has anyone done that? I thought it might be a simple way to reduce cooling system corrosion.
Thanks y'all..............Ben.
Ben

The height of human nobility is the American soldier.

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:49 pm

Ben, All the black stuff under the hood is supposed to be semi-gloss. exept the Volt. Reg ( crinkle finish).
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

Ben
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Ben » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:04 pm

Mike-
Thanks for the note. I mentioned the gloss black because the GPW judging standards posted here on the G states that the pipes were "gloss black" for what that is worth. It does beg clarification, though. Also, Jon Rogers said that the oil filter housing was an eggshell black. I am familiar with "eggshell" from painting my house walls, so I am wondering about my previous understanding, like yourself, that everything under the hood was semigloss.
Anyway, this is a great way to spend dead time in a hotel room.
Ben

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:13 pm

Ben, Some call it satin black..we have had several threads on this over the years. I don't recall JR saying eggshell black but he very well could have...he says lots of stuff I don't understand :D I'm sure you have started a thread here that will get to the bottom of it though...
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

Alasdair Brass
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Alasdair Brass » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi guys,
Sparton horns should be gloss black and just to confuse, some of the items we say are satin black today were probably industrial gloss black. This paint has a lower sheen that modern gloss blacks.

Regards
Al
D. Alasdair Brass
New Zealand.
MVPA 5676
GPW 53126
MB 290463
Bantam T3 36501
Part of the G since early '98

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Post by Jon » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:04 pm

Mikey.....

Does this ring a bell.....now. would I lead you astray?......

The Purolator filter is identifiable by its dome shaped cover, marked COVER ASSEMBLY 25791 PUROLATOR PRODUCTS INC MILITARY STANDARD FILTER There are three decals on the filter assembly, a cover decal describing servicing procedures, a body decal with a script “f” and the part number “GPW 18660” and one marked PUROLATOR PRODUCTS INC CASE ASSEMBLY-26708 USE JUNIOR ELEMENT. The decal background is properly a deep red color as compared to the incorrect orange decals commonly available today. The oil filter body is stamped INLET in 1/4” block letters in silver paint above the inlet port. The body, cover and cover bolt of the Purolator filter are painted an eggshell finish black enamel. Oil filter bands are made of 1/8”x7/8” steel, slotted mounting holes have rounded ends. Bands, screws and square nuts are painted black.

Flex oil lines are lacquered cotton braid cover (not rubber).
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:41 am

Dang, JR..you don't have to yell! :shock:
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:34 pm

Sometimes it's the only way to get in into you big thick skull ya deaf bugger!.

Hey!. what's that?....what'd he say?...

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha....

But I have to disagee with one thing in the above....the Cover Bolt head......it's plated....not painted.....I'll whisper that one mate so you can come back at me later and ask again....

Onya mate..:lol:

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

Ben
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Ben » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 pm

Well, that about says the last word on that. Thanks, Jon for that stupendous oration. I will save that for future reference.
I appreciate your answer the other day to my private inquiry about my odd oil filter housing where I asked if it was an M38 housing due to the dark OD green paint. Well, something interesting turned up today. I took it apart and cleaned it with solvent in preparation for repainting. It is actually BLACK and not green. It is interesting that under the bands, the SATIN/EGGSHELL black is visible, but the top and sides and bands appear dark green due to the clear laquer sprayed over top seeming to yellow with age. It is readily apparent with a close up view and the way that the wire brush removes the top yellowed layer of shellac-type coating before getting down to the regular black paint. On my particular MB, there is much evidence still visible of the clear shellac overspray on most of the engine components. I enjoy seeing this proof of the process that I learned of here on the G503. Thanks to all.
By the way....................may I humbly ask my original question of several thousand words ago.....rad. hose lengths?
Ben

garys

Post by garys » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:55 pm

I would like to know the radiator tube lengths as well, both metal tubes and hoses. I am planning to make themetal tube sections available in stainless steel.

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Thu Apr 13, 2006 2:08 am

garys wrote:I would like to know the radiator tube lengths as well, both metal tubes and hoses. I am planning to make themetal tube sections available in stainless steel.

If you can wait until next week, I can measure ( in metric!) a set of original sintetic rubber and metal tubes I have stashed away in a drawer at the country house.
By the way, I do not really need them, including the original clamps, so if any original only freak needs them needs we can work out some trade.
Last edited by lucakiki on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

garys

Post by garys » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:35 am

Luca, I think the freight would be cost prohibitive for me although I would love to get a set of dimensions from you on both the metal tubes and the hose lengths. I know the metal tubes are 1 1/2" diameter OD's

When measuring the lower curved metal tube if you can also provide a "guess-ti-mate" of the inside radius and perhaps a straight line distance across the inside ends to help identify the bend angle that would be great.

Thanks,
Gary

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:40 am

I will, after easter. Do not worry about freight costs: they are for trade only, and both parties would pay their own postage,in case...
Luca

Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Hey Luca,

Why not trace the part on a piece of paper, fill in the dimensions & mail it?

BTW, I may be interested in that kit, I'll PM you later.

Also, for those that don't mind non-originality, I've found that a piece of 1 1/4 EMT is too darn close in size to distinguish from the original, especially after it's painted. It's not anywhere near as good as stainless (& I may buy this when it's done), but better than the the non-coated original from a functional point of veiw because it's galvanized. There's no practical way for even an electrician with conduit benders to copy the radius of the lower pipe, but the top one is simply a 9" (I think) straight piece.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:46 am

garys wrote:Luca, I think the freight would be cost prohibitive for me although I would love to get a set of dimensions from you on both the metal tubes and the hose lengths. I know the metal tubes are 1 1/2" diameter OD's

When measuring the lower curved metal tube if you can also provide a "guess-ti-mate" of the inside radius and perhaps a straight line distance across the inside ends to help identify the bend angle that would be great.

Thanks,
Gary
OK,here we are.
Rubber tubes come in two lengths: 77 mm. and 117 mm.
The straigt metal tube is 124 mm.
outer diameter is 36/37 mm.
The lower curved tube has the same diameter, obviously. Size C is 135 mm.
The angle is not 90°, as in the drawing,but a narrower 60°.
The metal tube max ( taken on the outside) length is 287 mm.: that is A + bend + B
Luca

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”