Gas can restoration-What did you do?

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
Dino

Gas can restoration-What did you do?

Post by Dino » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:56 pm

I have a 1945 gas can that I would like to use. But it has a little rust. I'm looking for tips on how one can clean/restore one to the point that I can use it without having rust get into my now clean fuel system.

Also, did anyone use those liquid tank coatings? I feel that's the only way to get it clean for use. I am currently using a new blitz can painted O.D. but want to get more original.

Thanks in advance,
Dino
'43 GPW

Bill C.
G-Spotter
G-Spotter
Location: Durham, in the heart of the Real Northern California

Post by Bill C. » Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:02 am

Dino, I have cleaned gas cans using the following method. Pour about a gallon of 3/4 in. crushed gravel into the gas can. Crushed gravel works best because of the sharp edges on the rocks. Add about a gallon of diesel and shake the can so that the rocks slide around inside and polish the surface. The more energy you have the cleaner the can will get. When you are finished, pour out the rocks and diesel and flush the can until all the rust and paint particles are removed.

I have the gas tank liner in my jeep fuel tank. It's been there for 10 years and no sign of trouble. I would recommend it for a can also. Just make sure you remember to blow out the air vent before the tank liner dries.
Bill Campbell
45 MB #431583
43 MBT #40981
Member Northern Recon Group

Keep America Green...Drive something OD

Ray Knight
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
Post by Ray Knight » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:50 am

If you chose to use a tank liner in a gas can, but very careful not to get it on the threads for the lid (if you have the screw type), if you have the cam type you can just close sit over some saran wrap, slosh around and pour out. (after going through the product specific cleaning recommendations). Ray Knight

pt22 flyer
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by pt22 flyer » Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:16 am

Dino,

I've had good success with the fuel tank sealer kit made by POR-15. It comes with cleaner/degreaser, rust removal solution, and the sealer.

Good Luck,
Greg
1944 Willys MB
1942 Ryan PT-22 Grand Champion Antique EAA/Oshkosh 1998

Dino

Post by Dino » Mon Nov 21, 2005 8:57 am

Thanks Guys for all the info. I think the por-15 route is for me. I have got the tank clean, but fear rust will form if I don't coat it with sealer. Like I said, I do use it and it keeps the gas fresh from time to time.

Thanks Again,
Dino
'43 GPW

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:06 pm

Here is what I did to clean the inside of the gas can. I didn't have any crushed rocks but I did have a lot of dry wall screws. I poured a large coffee can full into the gas can. I bundled the can up real good in old blanket. I put he bundled up can into the clothes dryer. (Do not turn the heat on). Put some pillows in their to take up any room so the can would be stablelized in the drum. Turn dryer on with no heat. Let tumble for hour or so. that does a pretty good job if you can't sand blast it.

Post by Guest » Tue Nov 22, 2005 5:14 pm

I posted the previous post. I logged in but it didn't take. Tried to log a few more times but still didn't take, so anyway this post if from
Cacti_Ken

Alasdair Brass
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Alasdair Brass » Tue Nov 22, 2005 6:50 pm

Hi Dino,
I use a de-rusting acid. After the rust is disolved, I wash the can clean with water, dry it and then treat it with sealer. It works well!

I have also treated a few oiler cans with gas tank sealer too, and I coat feul pump and strainer bowls too. Good stuff!

Regards
Al
D. Alasdair Brass
New Zealand.
MVPA 5676
GPW 53126
MB 290463
Bantam T3 36501
Part of the G since early '98

Dino

Post by Dino » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:09 pm

Cacti_Ken-I love that idea! What inginuity! My wife would love that one but what the hell, if it works, terrific!

Hi Alasdair- I did use muriatic acid and it slowly did the job. But you do have to coat it quickly as you rinse the acid out it, will flash rust. Pour in some motor oil quickly and slosh it around a bit if you aren't going to use the sealer for a while.

Thanks guys for the extra tips-take care,
Dino
'43 GPW

Alasdair Brass
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Alasdair Brass » Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:27 pm

Hi Dino,
The acid I use has a neutralizer, so it doesn't rust much. The acid is ocally made so there is no use me quoting a brand name but it is good. The slight rust color is no problem if you are to use sealer. POR 15 is a silver color too, so that will hide the rust colour.

Regards
Al
D. Alasdair Brass
New Zealand.
MVPA 5676
GPW 53126
MB 290463
Bantam T3 36501
Part of the G since early '98

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:16 pm

Dino, After I tumbled the can in the dryer, I also washed it out with water, then poured the acid from tank sealer kit that I purchased with POR15 to clean it out more thoroughly. Washed again with water,
Dryed it thoroughly, this is where I placed the can on the kitchen electric surface element on low to heat the can so moisture would evaporate.
Hey you gotta make use of what you can right!!
Let it cool then pour the POR15 into it and slouch it around. I did that two times after the first coat semi-dried. I also painted the outside of the can with POR15 then topped that with O.D. paint.
I have also used Ospho which you can get at the hardware store which is phosphoric acid to clean rust from metal parts.

Ken
Tropical Vet 67-68,
2nd Bn, 35th Inf. Reg., 4th I.D. VN

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:01 am

Dino, in case females in your house do not approve of the tumble dryer method, there is another way I had posted before: I welded four loops at the mouth of a cement mixer, where you can strap the jerrycan, filled with gravel, lenhts of not too heavy chains, and some liquid cleaner of your choice. Noisy, but it works wonders.Once clean, you use the protector of your choice.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

jeep-a-holic
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by jeep-a-holic » Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:27 am

What would be the best thing to do about dents? Should it go to a body shop?

Sean
1942 Stinson L-5 (0-62) Sentinal 42-98323 (under restoration to 100% factory configuration)
1943 Harley-Davidson WLA Type V USA 691171 (under restoration)
1944 MB S.N. 343955 D.O.D. 6-22-44
1945 Converto T-6 1/4 Ton Trailer (awaiting restoration)

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Wed Dec 07, 2005 10:51 am

Sean, I can't tell you how to get dents out of the can, and I see no one else has replied to your question either. I have a couple of cans that need dent removal also. I haven't gotten around to the task of yet. I am still on the jeep restoration. I have an idea that I am going to try. I have a screw cap that I took from a 55 gal drum that will screw into the can outlet. I'm thinking about drilling the cap and welding a pipe fitting on it so I can apply air pressure into the can, which hopfully will push it back into shape. I don't expect it to work on small dents, but only where the side of the can is pushed in. Maybe someone with experience will come in on this post and help out.
Tropical Vet 67-68,
2nd Bn, 35th Inf. Reg., 4th I.D. VN

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Wed Dec 07, 2005 11:00 am

Cacti_Ken wrote:Sean, I can't tell you how to get dents out of the can, and I see no one else has replied to your question either. I have a couple of cans that need dent removal also. I haven't gotten around to the task of yet. I am still on the jeep restoration. I have an idea that I am going to try. I have a screw cap that I took from a 55 gal drum that will screw into the can outlet. I'm thinking about drilling the cap and welding a pipe fitting on it so I can apply air pressure into the can, which hopfully will push it back into shape. I don't expect it to work on small dents, but only where the side of the can is pushed in. Maybe someone with experience will come in on this post and help out.
Did it, and blew the seams before the dents even moved. I wonder if it is possible ( but I am almost sure it is dangerous) to soften the dents with a torch, before applying pressure. After all some dents add character...so I would rather leave them alone than blow the whole she- bang apart.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”