military folding table

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.

military folding table

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:02 am

Hi :D
Can anyone tell me what this is?

Thanks,
Wendy

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:03 am

forgot to log in! That was me up above.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:37 am

It's a folding field table, Wendy! Great to usea at MV flea markets, etc. I have two, wish I had 4-5 more. I would guess they were part of the HQ company equipment. Not sure if this is correct, but was told once that the round legs are modern era, WWII legs were square all the way down....never seen one with square legs myself.

Roger Barrett
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Roger Barrett » Tue Feb 01, 2005 3:01 pm

Chuck / Wendy
I have a field table with the square legs. I got it around 1971. I just checked it for any dates but could not find any. I would like to know about the round & square legs. I did think this was current at that time. Anyone else with any ideas on this ?
RB

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi all,

Square legs are correct for WWII and (based on one I have at least) into the Korean War. They are typically stenciled in the middle of the underside.

Jeff Q.
AZ

lindyp38
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by lindyp38 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:06 pm

COOL....I CHECKED MY TABLES.....THERE ALL SQUARE LEGGED...COOL..

THANKS
MARIO...45MB(COOKIE)
407294,dod 1-16-45,106th Cavalry
05-1966 M-416 TRAILER
MVPA MEMBER 24420
1941 Plymouth sedan
1965 FORD GALAXIE 4DR SEDAN

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Post by Chuck W. » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:22 pm

I'm no expert on the square/round issue, but that's what I was told. I'll have to say, that little table is one thing the Army got right, handy as a pocket on a shirt! I may try to build some, and if I do, they will have square (tapered) legs (much easier to make)

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Wed Feb 02, 2005 8:01 am

8) Thanks! Can anyone go into more detail for me? What were they used for? Did they lay maps on them? Eat? Put radios on them?

I would have thought that a lighter version metal one would have replaced heavy wood ones early on, say after WWII or early Korea? This one is quite heavy and seems to be a lot of weight to transport around?

Are/were metal ones ever used?

Wendy

J Kcindub
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by J Kcindub » Wed Feb 02, 2005 11:01 am

Wendy, look at the web site below for the repro that Hector Rojas does. I was also told that the WWII tables used leather straps to hold them together when folded.

http://www.deadlydozen.net/replicas/wood/table.htm

Roger Barrett
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Military folding table

Post by Roger Barrett » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:26 pm

I found that interesting about the leather straps. Well, I have the square legs but web straps. Was it later or was it changed ?
As far as I remember these tables were used for about anything. In class rooms, & out in the field, for maps, field desks, radios, or what ever.
Roger B
1952 M 38

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:59 pm

Thanks for the link! And letting me know what they were used for. :D

Wendy

Quartermaster
Sergeant Major of the Gee

tables

Post by Quartermaster » Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:04 pm

What do you use your tables at home for? That's what Uncle Sam uses his for, too. Though more for military purposes and less for "frills" like dining tables, especially for enlisted men. That being said, if a GI folding table was available - it might be used in any conceivable manner - many "unofficial" - (think things like poker tables and the like!)

Remember, the military is not a democracy with all men being created equal, the higher in rank you are; the more support and amenities are available to you. Further, the higher in rank you are, the more enlisted men are available to move, set up, take down and transport your tents, field tables, field desks etc., etc.

During WW2, wood was available and there were metal shortages. Weight and bulk were not as important if there were enough trucks and laborers available. To borrow from the song often sung by the men of the Red Ball Express -- "Lift and load, lift and load, one for Hitler and one for the road."

From the start, these tables are pretty low tech compared to ones made from metal. Contracts were awarded for all things purchased by the War Department (now Dept of Defense) and the ability of the potential contractor to perform dictated the complexity of the item requested by the government. One of the original contractors of the M1 Carbine during WW2 was Rockola (the juke box company). Rockola bungled their contract - never really able to produce the carbine in a cost effective manner. The government finally pulled Rockola's contract for carbines and awarded them contracts to provide GI folding field tables - which they did very well, thank you very much!
Dwayne
1943 Willys MB
1945 Bantam T3

Kent Chipman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Kent Chipman » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:16 pm

I want one of those tables. Legs do not matter.
I will trade jeep parts, Garand ammo, cash, whatever.

Kent Chipman
Kent "Mad Dog" Chipman
GPW I36I8 4-6-42
42WLA 25392
5-45 BT3
Converto 0650924
click for all my pictures:
http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/showgal ... nt-chipman" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendy
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Santa Cruz Surf Siren
Post by Wendy » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:40 pm

Dwayne,
Thank you for all of your knowledge! Great to read and learn.

Wendy

TOM

Post by TOM » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:23 pm

Ok guys and gals, I am in the proccess of building a folding table and would like to know the nominal size of the wood , like the table top is suppose to be one inch thick , is it a full one inch thick ,or is it like the wood we use today not being quite an inch thick
The center board measers 4"x 2'7" x 1" thick , is it really an inch thick
just wanted to know if they are using the nominal size of the wood or the actual size of the wood
Wendy can you post another pic. of the underneath of the table I would like to stencil that on the bottom of my repo when I am done with it , with a few minor changes
Ok now for the hard part can any one give the amont of screws in the board under the table , like the 1"Strip on the underside of the table and the 6" board under the table top, and what the screw spacing is
Thank You
THOMAS STANEK JR.
1943 Willys MB

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”