Tower Park, Halftrack Display

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Tower Park, Halftrack Display

Post by steve1973 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 am

Hello All,
Just want to post a few photos of the display at Tower Park. We had a total of seven halftracks and one scoutcar! It was an awesome site to behold to say the least. I want to thank everyone who participated and brought their vehicles. Her is the brake down:
one M3A1 Scoutcar
Two M2 halftracks
Two M2A1 Halftracks
Two M3 Halftracks
One M3A1 halftrack

I will be putting more together on this during the week along with a video of two parades through the campground with all the halftracks and scoutcar. Here are some photos.Enjoy!!

More to come.....

Steve A.
1941 White M2A1 (90% restored)
1945 M10 ammo trailer (restored)

Wasp
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Tower Park, Halftrack Display

Post by Wasp » Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:04 am

Any more pictures, Particularly of the Scout Car?

Sam

jdmcm
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by jdmcm » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am

That is nothing short of awesome!!!
Tanks,Trucks and such...

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:53 am

A great gathering indeed. I hope some more detailed photos are coming. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

Bill H.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Bill H. » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Here is the post I made with a video:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=236524
Bill H.

Welfare, a modern day career choice.

1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1

2 Timothy 3:1-5

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:17 pm

So here is the link to the video I put together of that week. We did two convoys through the campground. Lots of fun.

http://youtu.be/hhWAckU7Yo4

Now, More photos.....

ROLL CALL.....

1941 White M3A1 Scoutcar, Owner Peter Fraser

1941 White M2 Halftrack, Owner Tim Sutter

1942 White M2 Halftrack, Owner Martin Jefferson

1942 White M2A1 Halftrack, Owner Steve Anderegger Jr.

1942 Autocar M2A1 Halftrack, Owner Tom Gunther

1942 Diamond-T M3 Halftrack, Owner Don Gleason

1944 Autocar M3 Halftrack, Owner Michael France

1944 Autocar M3A1 Halftrack, Owner Dennis Reid

I want to thank everyone who brought their vehicles out for this event. It was a sight to see. :D

I just want to mention that Tim Sutter took first place with a $200 prize from Hagerty Collector Vehicle Insurance and Tom Gunther took third place with a $50 prize. Congratulations to the both of you.

RocnTJ
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by RocnTJ » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:40 pm

Wow - great video Steve! That was the most fun I have had in quite a while. I cannot wait until we can all get together again.

Tom

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:19 am

I do believe I see my old M2 Half Track in that video, and photos...Outstanding! 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

steve1973
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by steve1973 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:47 am

TopKick wrote:I do believe I see my old M2 Half Track in that video, and photos...Outstanding! 8)
Which one?

yd328
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by yd328 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:55 am

Nice display guys and thanks for posting. 8)
Gary
MVPA Member
M2A1 Half Track ( Undergoing Resto)
M10 Ammo Trailer

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:22 am

steve1973 wrote:
TopKick wrote:I do believe I see my old M2 Half Track in that video, and photos...Outstanding! 8)
Which one?
Steve,

The M2 owned by Mr. Martin Jefferson. There are a couple of very distinguishable marks that readily say hello to me, the dent and hole in the left front fender. I also primed her with yellow Rustoleum primer after the sandblasting. She looks much nicer with the added correct front bumper/roller assembly and correct headlights, and partial support rail. She was always a great running Half Track. I actually had her running at 40 M.P.H. on several occasions.

When I first brought her home I lubed and oiled her. I took her for a test drive, but I could not get her to go over 25 M.P.H. This was my first WWII vehicle. I called a fellow MVPA (then MVCC) friend over for some helpful advice, as he owned several WWII trucks. He looked at the shifters and suggested I shove the shifters from low to high for two wheel drive mode. I had no idea. Wow, we headed down the road and blew our hair back! I do miss her from time to time. I used the funds she provided to pay some bills and help restore my M3A1 Scout Car. 8)

"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Tue May 06, 2014 9:51 pm

TopKick wrote:
steve1973 wrote:
Which one?
Steve,

The M2 owned by Mr. Martin Jefferson. There are a couple of very distinguishable marks that readily say hello to me, the dent and hole in the left front fender. I also primed her with yellow Rustoleum primer after the sandblasting. She looks much nicer with the added correct front bumper/roller assembly and correct headlights, and partial support rail. She was always a great running Half Track. I actually had her running at 40 M.P.H. on several occasions.

When I first brought her home I lubed and oiled her. I took her for a test drive, but I could not get her to go over 25 M.P.H. This was my first WWII vehicle. I called a fellow MVPA (then MVCC) friend over for some helpful advice, as he owned several WWII trucks. He looked at the shifters and suggested I shove the shifters from low to high for two wheel drive mode. I had no idea. Wow, we headed down the road and blew our hair back! I do miss her from time to time. I used the funds she provided to pay some bills and help restore my M3A1 Scout Car. 8)

TopKick, your story about a speed run reminds me of when I first test drove my 1941 Indian 640 in 1985. I had never ridden anything older than a 1962 Harley Scat 165 didn't know how far you have to push the shift knob forward on a Scout to catch 3rd. I was buzzing along in second for a while wondering what's up. When I finally found third it was like overdrive nirvana!

Martin was new to the Camp Delta meet and was talked into coming primarily by MVCC Regional VP Jack Valenti who knows him from Monterey County. Just goes to show what happens when you schedule a special display and folks decide to be a part of it. In this case a MVCC Spring Meet halftrack record since we started doing these in the late 1970s. To the halftrack and Scout Car guys, the M20, M50A1 Ontos, and the M577 APC were supporting cast!
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by TopKick » Wed May 07, 2014 5:32 am

I have never been to California, but I believe attending the Tower Park event would be one of the highlights of going there. I'm Glad Martin attended, as I got to see an old friend. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

BombFarm
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by BombFarm » Wed May 07, 2014 8:48 pm

I must say another thanks to Steve for doing the heavy lifting and helping to make the HT gathering such a success, even though it was less than desirable weather.
Martin

toadmanstankpictures
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by toadmanstankpictures » Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 pm

Steve, great set of pics! It was a fun morning, rain and all. It was nice seeing all of the half-tracks in one spot like that, along with the Scout Car, Ontos and 577.
Chris "toadman" Hughes
Volunteer, Military Vehicle Technology Foundation (http://www.mvtf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://toadmanstankpictures.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Always looking to photograph military vehicles and artillery pieces!

Return to “Tracked”