cckw cleaning behind the ears

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

cckw cleaning behind the ears

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:24 am

I Have been at this for some time now and would love to see this through! I will call it a scrub down versus a restoration because we all have our own idea of what is a true restore job....Here are some pictures of what shape she was in. It's is a 1944 GMC 6X6 CCKW 353 A1 D.O.D. 1-44. Note that she's longer by two feet due to after army alteration, and the arctic cab which is all that saved my steering wheel along with someone wrapping it with electrical tape!

this is me farting around with things i wanted to dig into the project but settled on painting some pulleys... wow

this is a shot of her after arriving home for the time being. Later on i constructed a shelter just for her to sit under.
Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1944 CCKW 353 A1 In restoration process http://www.flickr.com/photos/37254914@N06/

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: cckw cleaning behind the ears

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:39 am

In the next phase i got her running to find out the engine had been rebuilt just miles before it was parked, i think? When the truck came home i noticed that the engine was prepped for removal or being installed. The starter and radiator were removed and in the cab (as you can see in my eariler photos), the engine was sitting unbolted on the mounts but she was still hooked to the drive train...maybe someone wanted the engine for a project? When i put things together i thought i would be dealing with a tired cracked head engine that blew smoke... I couldn't have been more wrong upon pulling the valve cover i saw that the internals were as new as if they came from the machine shop yesterday. Removing the pan i saw the same thing, machining evident in the cylinder walls like she was still being broke in. I couldn't be more happy. when it was time to fire her off it didn't take long and she ran like a watch. I couldn't believe my ears! All this in a truck that looked and seemed to be dead under all that grease and dust was anything but ... the carb even idled superbly.

Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1944 CCKW 353 A1 In restoration process http://www.flickr.com/photos/37254914@N06/

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:55 am

Next, she sat for years as I gathered parts of all types and INFORMATION I accquired all the TM's i could get and started to read about the history behind these trucks.
I figured i would start on the brakes since they have long since been inoperable like most of the trucks you find after sitting and NO MAINTENACE...

Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:47 am

After I messed around with the old girl I drove her around the property I was on and down an old dirt road putting several miles on her and getting used to how she drives. My next step was to accquire a cab doner because the sheet metal was rusted out in all the wrong places... I found a suitable truck in Black foot,Idaho for 400.oo and i had to go get it. The truck frame was cut behind the cab by hydraulic sheer so i got half off! The truck was a 1944 shop van truck it still had her tags from the army corps of engineers. It was a treasure chest of good parts being over in the dry Idaho climate.
I did mange to get the old girl running before i parted her out #3 cylinder had a rusted valve but she ran better the longer it fired....engine looked to be low mile it just sat and condensated in the cylinders....

Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:03 am

My next phase is to strip down the truck to a rolling frame and clean her up a bit and treat the frame with some marine grade rust encapsulating paint (petite steel primer) I could not afford a nice sand blast job like i would like to, but i just want to get her better than she's been doing... you know, a good cleaning behind the ears...there's a lot more pictures i should have taken along with a better camera, sorry for the blury shots!

I regasketed the engine and she was beautiful to look at, I really lucked out on my budget project with this discovery. I regasketed and sealed the whole truck with few exceptions all the axles were sealed and greased new oil all around. I have to have the front axle sleeved and sealed later before my knuckles are flooded with 80/90sae.
I have a doner front axle that will be taken apart and sent to a shop to be machined and sealed with a new neoprene seal to suit.
Thanks for looking.
Brad
Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:20 am

Now time to suit up and get dirty! Wire wheel, grinder, degreaser, pressure washer and rust converter....

None of my pictures reflect it but afterwards i installed NEW Accsessories such as New rebuild carb, nos distributer, new fuel pump, new filter strainer, new water pump, New 6volt 40 amp genarator with pully french made in 69, new plugs wires and coil and a new napa belt.

Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:40 am

Now I started on moving her to a new house and a dry two car garage that my truck fits into with 18 inches to spare I couldn't have asked for anything better in my price range. Sheet metal and wiring were next on the agenda.

heres a picture of me getting her ready to drive onto a equipment trailer to bring here to her new home.

PS the brakes are fully functional!! :D
Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:10 pm

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u42 ... G_0192.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:29 pm

Now I had to deal with the frame and getting back to factory length, removing 24 inches of added frame...... and get the springs taken apart and repacking the trunion and new ubolts. Thanks To Ben Dover also, he has supplied me with plenty of other parts including a new set of oil lines for the engine! thank you :D

I had my father inlaw come and weld up the truck sleeve and all, he runs a boat yard in seattle so he was a good choice. He said it's not pretty but it won't go anywhere.

It's amazing how much that two feet allows me to turn easier... I can get out of the diveway onto the street without going off the road first :lol:
Last edited by bradcckw on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:37 pm

In the middle of this found quite a surprise from the past on the under side of the cab floor above the transfercase crossmember
the factory workers signed the truck in michigan. Talk about history talking to me.

Currently she is sitting in my nice dry warm garage with the tires yet to be put on and a bed that needs a good paint job but thats how its been this whole time i hope to have her road worthy this next summer for parades and camping trips....will keep ya'll posted and thanks for the info that this site and the many people have offered like Ben Dover AKA Joe he.

Brad

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by AZ Jeff » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:53 am

That's a great resurrection Brad! Thanks for sharing the project.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Sleeve
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Sleeve » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:10 pm

What an amazing transformation to start with a truck that rough and have it looking like it does now!Very detailed and very nice. I learned something here too, I've seen that roof and doors on other cckw's and some open Cab Over Engine Trucks but didn't know it is called an Artic Cab. Will your finished truck be open or use the roof and doors?
1945 G7163 Earth Borer

bradcckw
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by bradcckw » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:39 pm

Sleeve,
I would like to keep it the original open cab configuration. the cab cover was far to gone to use for much, it did its job and protected my steering wheel.

Spec4Don
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Spec4Don » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Very nice job on your restoration. Love the pictures.

Don G.
1942 M3 Halftrack Zelda MVPA # 31688
Clark CA-1 Airborne Dozer
Letorneau Model D-4 Airborne Scraper

cessna

Post by cessna » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:00 am

Fantastic job, you are a great motivator! Right now I am slowly stripping mine down and reconditioning each part as I go along. Transmission, propeller shafts and transfer case are completely rebuilt along with various panels, levers and rods. I cannot pull the motor since she is sitting outside the shop for about another month so I am stripping off more parts to keep me busy in the mean time.
Keep those pictures coming!
Brian
1942 WC-52
Willys MB DOD 12-26-41
Ben Hur (steel)
Clark CA-1 (reconditioning)
CCKW 353 183970-2 Restored
Restored M20, M8

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”