1948 CJ-2A Oil Filter Question

1945 - 196*, Willys CJ series, questions, discussions, regarding anything related to the post war jeep.®
Rufus
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

1948 CJ-2A Oil Filter Question

Post by Rufus » Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:49 am

Below are pictures of the oil filter unit that was on the jeep when I bought it back in 1981. So far I have not been able to find any photographs of any 2As with this filter canister on them though the parts book shows one of the two filters units used at the time that looks just like it. The engine was rebuilt in 1992 and this same filter was reinstalled at the shop. My question(s) is this:

1) Is this truly the correct oil filter canister/bracket for this jeep?
2) Is the long hose (from the engine block underneath the fuel pump) supposed to be connected to the fitting on the side of the canister?

I can't find a picture or diagram in the parts book or service manual that shows how this should be plumbed-up and all the photos I can find on the web show a filter canister with a different bracket and the fitting for the long hose in a different location (near the top facing the drivers side). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't have the jeep's serial number handy right now but I can provide if that would help.

P.S.

I didn't have access to the internet or color photos in 1992. I now know that a Fram filter would have been orange and the engine would have been black.
Last edited by Rufus on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:05 am

Jeep did not mount CJ Oil Filters in that manner. The bracket is not Jeep.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

lowenuf
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by lowenuf » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:38 am

the piece bolted to the head, and the housing IS jeep.. the bracket is 1 of 2 that make up a 3B bracket...the missing piece is a bit larger, and holds that very same size canister with 2 straps like an MB mount on a 3B motor...

i will post a picture just as soon as my image host decides to hop back on the infonet highway...

Rufus
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Rufus » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Thanks for the photo Low. I am glad to see that what I have is correct for some jeep.

I finished my research on the CJ2A Page and decided to update this post for those of you who may be interested, here is the short story of what I ended up with in pictures (as posted on the CJ2A Page):

Used oil filter canister that I got from Russell Deese Jeeps. I went with this type because it does appear on 1948 models and in the 1949 parts book. I could have gotten a larger or smaller one with the straps but I like the simplicity of the welded-on mounting tabs. I also got the mounting bracket with the special clips and screws. A little wet sanding revealed the layers coating it: OD, black, primer, blue, orange (original color) and then plenty of rust!

Sand blasted, acid rinsed, primed, painted and decals applied (Thanks again for the reference photos Jus* Jack from the CJ2A Page!).

I used PlastiKote engine primer and paint. Fram orange wasn't available so I went with Chevy orange. The decals are "stickers" that I got from a dealer on eBay. I had heard rumors of other sources for them but this was all I could find. I don't know how accurate they are but they seem pretty close to the original (I stopped by for a visit with Jack after he sent me the photos and saw his canister on "Turqoise" in person). I sure wish I could get the rest of the jeep to look this good . . .

Return to “CJ Technical Knowledge Base”