PBR 6927

Ships, Boats, Small Craft, Patrol Craft, Landing Craft, Amphibious Tracked Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base
D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

PBR 6927

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:32 pm

I've never been one for picture taking on a project, but many of you have been asking. Jeff Hain-Matson (Frontline MV) has been out several times to lend a hand; he likes to take pictures. I also found a few that my wife took. These should show a chronology of beginning to where I am today.

Getting Home July 2007

This is actually the 2nd PBR hull that I purchased. The original, PBR 7329 was sold to a museum in Texas after I completed a good bit of the damage repair. This is an unissued replacement hull for PBR 6927. I found this in Washington state after the 2007 Tower Park meet. As this hull needed no repairs, I estimated that it put me a good 2 years ahead on my progress. I had also previously purchased (Aug 2006) a Katrina damaged hull in New Orleans on a Levee Commission auction that was previously a static monument on the west shore of Lake Ponchartrain. I was able to salvage a few needed parts from it.

Engine beds Oct 2008. Lex Schmidt on Cushman hauling mounts to boat.
Mounts installed

Engines going in Nov 2008. We pulled the boat out of the gantry area, hoisted the engines, then backed the boat under the gantry. All of these lift points were designed in when we built the gantry.

These engines are British Fords marinized by Sabre Diesel in the UK. They are from the current Bridge Erection Boat that is in use by US Armed Forces. These turbo'ed diesel produce 215 HP at 2100 RPM and should use appx 10.5 GPH for the pair at full throttle. The original Detroits would burn more that twice that amount of fuel.

More Horsepower

Where we work. This work area was much taller before the massive snowfall in February. We were able to build an intermediate frame under the collapsed framework, then lower the cover to the new height. It could have been much worse! No snow got in the boat.

Jet Pump Compartment. Exhaust rough in also visible.

These Marine Jets are also from the Bridge Erection boat, and also made in the UK. The UK based manufacturer has a US Marine Division, UltraDynamics, in Columbus Ohio. They've been extremely helpful with parts, prints, info, etc and have rebuilt these pumps at a bargain of a price. They do want to play with the boat when it's completed.

Fuel Tank Compartment under Coxswain's flat

There has been quite a bit of work in this area. In addition to fuel tanks we fitted a bilge pump as well as cabinets on either side above deck. Control cables and wiring had to be run thru this area, as well as fuel lines and filters. The batteries will also mount in this hold. It was important to get all possible work done in this hold so that the middle deck section could be placed. Once this deck area is complete, the helm can be installed. This area consumed many hours.

Jeff and I got a whole day in on finishing up this area before we left for Texas for the Museum of the American GI meet, March 2010

Getting topside in Coxswain's Flat (finally)
Battery trays (Optima Military mounts) installed

Interior shots
This area will be mostly filled with the forward gun mount

Jeff will be back for 2 days of boat work before we leave for the Mobile Al meet in April. Hope to make much more progress.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

Jon
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.
Australian Army (Retired) R.A.E.M.E.

Re: PBR 6927

Post by Jon » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:02 pm

Dave,
That row boat is getting so big , pretty soon I should be able to see it on the Google satellite images.
Neat find on the hull and good choice on the engines...
Soooooooo. if I time my arrival say in about 3 years time I should be able to swing a leg over the side and get wet feet..
What's the ET of completion ?

JR
Jon Rogers
AUSTRALIA

http://jeepdraw.com JeepDraw Home Page & Drawings
Parts Colours Page http://jeepdraw.com/PART_COLOURS.htm
1944 GPW195611 20531384 ACM-2 17781
1942 MBT 19433W

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:16 pm

Jon,
We're really hoping to have it in the river this summer. LST 325 is making a cruise from Evansville to Pittsburgh around Labor Day this year. Should pass by my area on Sept 1 or 2. It would be a shame if I missed the rare opportunity of accompanying them on the final legs to Pittsburgh as LST were used as Berthing Ships for Riverine forces during the VN war.

It looks like there is a lot to do, but we should have all of the 2 man bull work done on Jeff's next trip. From there, it's tinkering with wiring and controls, final adjustments and paint.
David Pizzoferrato

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:39 pm

Very cool Dave! :D

So, you going to run it down to the Panama Canal and back up to the Bay Area to Tower Park this fall?

I want a ride! :wink:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

SURPDLR
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by SURPDLR » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:45 am

Mark Tombleson wrote:Very cool Dave! :D

So, you going to run it down to the Panama Canal and back up to the Bay Area to Tower Park this fall?

If you pay for the Fuel and canal fee, I would be up for tagging along with Dave for that trip. It would be even more epic than our plan of going down the Mississippi or the Tenn-Tom inland waterway to Mobile for a show.. (Followed, maybe by a trip to Key West :lol:)
JEFF HAIN-MATSON
FRONT LINE MILITARY VEHICLES
WRIGHTSVILLE PA
717-252-4489

INDIAN 741
INDIAN 841
MATCHLESS G3
MATCHLESS G3L
AND SEVERAL OTHER WHEELED AND TRACKED TOYS!!

MVPA #1833
IMPS #1726
MVT #9362

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Post by Mark Tombleson » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:46 am

That would be about 7000 miles?

How fast is a PBR? 30 knots.

So maybe 3 to 4 weeks, 2500 gallons of fuel and $1300 in fees.

You may have issues unless you can carry a lot of fuel. :shock:

Maybe if I win big in the lottery but not now! :lol:
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:25 pm

You're further along than I thought, David! Nice clean bilges....I like that in a naval vessel. Hope Chumlee and I can make it out for the launching. :D
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

Ron Fitzpatrick
OWNER OF g503.com
OWNER OF g503.com

Post by Ron Fitzpatrick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:30 am

the old man and I WILL be out for the launching!

Ron :wink:

Mike Seymour
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran
U.S.N. Vietnam Veteran

Post by Mike Seymour » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:30 am

Ron Fitzpatrick wrote:the old man and I WILL be out for the launching!

Ron :wink:

Just remember, Chum... "Never get outa' the boat." :D
Mike Seymour
'43 MB 'Blondie'
'53 M38a1 'Dagwood'
SOMVCC
COG
MVPA #24294

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:11 pm

Here are a couple of the pics of the Hurricane Katrina wrecked PBR on the levee.

I was bidding on this via an online auction figuring that no one in their right mind would have any interest in it. In speaking with the auctioneer after the fact, he had made a prior recommendation that the levee commission scrap it instead of wasting auction resources. He expected it, as I did, to barely attract the $50 opening bid.

As it turns out, I had to spend $550 to win this gem. I badly needed the ring on the foredeck for the front gun mount and a few other things. As it turns out, I was bidding against a vet's group that wanted to rehab it for a static display. My plan was to remove the parts that I wanted and saw up the residue to send to the landfill. I quickly found out that roll-off boxes were going for over $2000 each as FEMA was paying huge amounts for storm clean-up. Rod Nowland offered to meet me in New Orleans along with his dad and Chuck Watford. We were going to cut it up and Rod was going to haul it back to Alabama to dispose of it for a few hundred dollar landfill fee.

Just before my departure, the auction company called me and told me of the vet's group interest. I then offered that if they would help us unbolt the parts that I wanted, we wouldn't need to destroy the hull, and I would give them the remains. As I had some duplicate parts, and was interested in upgrading what I had, I further offered to arrange for them to get back my duplicates after I had chosen the parts I wanted.

Pics taken during the salvage of parts:

Here is a pic of the salvaged parts on my trailer at home:

I was able to get the parts that I wanted and also transfer the remains to the veteran's group for the tidy sum of $1.00 to use for their static display memorial. All of this took place several months before I found the new hull in Washington state. With my upgrade to the new hull, I only needed the front gun ring and a few smaller parts from the New Orleans' salvage. Exactly one year ago, I hauled all of the excess parts to the Mobile Alabama meet and transferred them to the New Orleans veteran group spearheaded by my new friend Stan Benoit.

The Katrina PBR gets moved from the levee:

Stan's group made arrangements with the city of Kenner Louisiana, to donate the PBR as a part of their Naval Memorial Park.

Stan sent these pictures several months ago just prior to the dedication:
David Pizzoferrato

Ernie Baals
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Ernie Baals » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Dave
Very nice
Can't wait to see her in the water
Are you keeping the same name, since you changed hulls?
Ernie
Rip Dad 1/22/24 to 12/21/11
I will always love and miss you.
Ernie Baals MVPA 104C and 3104, AACA, SJC MVPA

Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government
that requires every citizen to prove
they are insured……but not everyone
must prove they are a citizen”

Rod
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Rod » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:01 pm

Dave,

She's looking good. I can't wait till I get to ride in her.

See you in Mobile.
I want to live life, til the day I die.

podski
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by podski » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:43 pm

D Pizzoferrato wrote:Jon,
We're really hoping to have it in the river this summer. LST 325 is making a cruise from Evansville to Pittsburgh around Labor Day this year. Should pass by my area on Sept 1 or 2. It would be a shame if I missed the rare opportunity of accompanying them on the final legs to Pittsburgh as LST were used as Berthing Ships for Riverine forces during the VN war.

It looks like there is a lot to do, but we should have all of the 2 man bull work done on Jeff's next trip. From there, it's tinkering with wiring and controls, final adjustments and paint.
Very cool work Dave. I hope you get to make that cruise to PIttsburgh. I live near the 'burgh and I am eager to see the LST. It would really be cool to see you with the PBR in Pittsburgh as well. I met a VN Navy vet at a moving sale here recently who drove these boats with the Riverine force and I bet he would love to see your boat if it comes to PIttsburgh this fall. Please keep us updated on that possiblity.

BTW - should I call and cancel the shipment of my windshield cover so you can deliver it personally on the PBR? :lol: :lol:

PS - Kudos to you for supplying that hull to the Veterans group!
Ken
1942 GPW

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:26 pm

Mark Tombleson wrote:Very cool Dave! :D

It'd be cheaper if he joined the Air Force and became a loadmaster on a C17 or C5.

Seriously it's possible the USAF or Air Guard would consider transporting it to a big VN war commemoration. Most likely time would be when there isn't a shooting war going on, and with a different Commander in Chief.

We happen to have an air logistics base next to a river delta where the PBRs actually trained. Short tow from Travis AFB to the Sacramento River and then a quick cruise to the Tower Park meet. By then one or both of the PBRs we have in our area might be done, making a squadron. Imagine that. Dave you could sell enough rides at Tower to make a bunch of money. Or offer a ride with each jeep top sold at the meet. Your competition would be wiped out for months.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:44 pm

Jeff and I made some extra time to work on the boat before we left for the Mobile Alabama show last week.

We uncovered the front of the boat and got the gun tub installed with some extra help from Donna.

After the gun tub was installed, we began to erect a maintenance tent frame over the boat to make a better work area to finish things up.

These two show a better use for an M151 ROPS cage.

Tent frame build:

We had to quit here and leave for Alabama.

We finished up, with some extra help on Monday.

Here is a view of the steering nozzles of the jet pumps:
David Pizzoferrato

Return to “Boats, Ships, Landing Craft, and Tracked amphibian”