Building a Staff Car

Ford, Plymouth, Dodge - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
gpsigler@mwii.net
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Building a Staff Car

Post by gpsigler@mwii.net » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:27 pm

Hi All,

I'm new to this website and your discussion group. Now that I'm retired, I have time for my hobby of rebuilding cars. I am thinking of doing an Army staff car out of a '41 Plymouth P12. There is no indication that this was or was not an army car but I think it would be a good one.

What I'd like to know from you guys is if this is a worthwhile project since I can't prove its past. I do know that most were P11s and, except for the Navy, Olive drab.

What I do is build and sell after a while. I'd appreciate your comments.

Thanks.
Gary Sigler

p.s. I was a 6 year POW in Hanoi. You can check me out by googling my name if you'd like....not a phony wannabe.
Former Vietnam POW
USAF Pilot, Captain

rgus
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by rgus » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:55 am

I think it is a worthwhile project. In February 1942 all civilian auto production was shut down and the remaining stocks of autos were stockpiled for essential war service. The two types of staff cars were the contract cars, they were made especially to government standards and almost imposable to find and the procurement cars. The great thing about restoring / building a staff car for us, in my opinion, is the procurement program the government put into place. That program allowed them to go into the pool of autos and grab any of the available autos for government services. The military added the light kit and changed the light switch to the standard military pull switch. I am sure different auto had other items added as needed depending on their individual usage. I suspect all the bright work was them painted but I have seen period pictures of staff cars in this country during the war that were not all painted. That allows any car of the 1941/1942 period to potentially be a procurement car. I have a 1941 Ford with a flathead V8 that origional color is Lochaven Green, It is close enough to OD that I am going to take a little license and leave it that color. I think as long as it is marked according to military standards about anything could and probably was used.

gpsigler@mwii.net
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gpsigler@mwii.net » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:29 am

rgus,

Thanks for the reply...and the interesting information. Unfortunately, I lost the bid on e-bay in the last second last night so will have to look come more. There is currently listed a '41 Ford coupe that is claimed to have been one of very few used by the military. He wants more than I want to pay but something will come up. There is also a Packard that would do.

Fords like yours must be very difficult to find as so many have been used for hot rods. I'm sure it's very nice.

I originally started looking for a WWII jeep that could be re-done but haven't found a restorable one in my part of the country (Illinois) for a worthwhile price. I like unusual cars or trucks for projects but have to increase their value so I can afford the next project.

Thanks again,
Gary
Former Vietnam POW
USAF Pilot, Captain

68427vette
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by 68427vette » Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:24 am

welcome to the board, and thank you for you service,,, yes , staff cars are coming, in, to the cool crowd, and 4 door cars of that era, seam to be cheap,, BUY a rust free, or close as possible one,, it helps to shorten the resto process, by 6 months,,, good luck, jc

lindyp38
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by lindyp38 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:55 pm

MARIO...45MB(COOKIE)
407294,dod 1-16-45,106th Cavalry
05-1966 M-416 TRAILER
MVPA MEMBER 24420
1941 Plymouth sedan
1965 FORD GALAXIE 4DR SEDAN

lindyp38
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by lindyp38 » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:57 pm

HERES A FELLOW MEMBERS FATHER SERVING IN VIETNAM LIKE URSELF....AND NOTICE THE CAR.....A 65 FORD GALAXIE.....SO WHILE U MAY NOT FIND A WW2 STAFF CAR......MAYBE A 50 OR 60S CAR MIGHT DO THE TRICK....UNLESS U HAVE UR HEART SET ON A WW2 VEHICLE....

GOOD LUCK ....
MARIO...45MB(COOKIE)
407294,dod 1-16-45,106th Cavalry
05-1966 M-416 TRAILER
MVPA MEMBER 24420
1941 Plymouth sedan
1965 FORD GALAXIE 4DR SEDAN

gpsigler@mwii.net
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by gpsigler@mwii.net » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:23 am

Thanks for the nice reply. I've had to postpone my staff car project. A mechanic friend who has a European car shop decided to give me all the MG parts he had laying around so I bought a '66 MGB to use them up. Free stuff was too good a deal to pass up!

When I finish the MG, I'll be be back in the market for the staff car but I'll still look for a WWII model.

Thanks
Gary
Former Vietnam POW
USAF Pilot, Captain

Return to “Staff Car”