Camp Blanding WW2 markings

This forum is meant to cover General Military History, Vehicle & Unit Marking, Serial Numbering, Identification, Gee Members, Military Unit Identification, Veteran Information, Parts ID, Data Plate Marking, Passing’s, Reunions, Information Tracking & Research that otherwise might get lost in the forums meant for more specific topics.
JeepyStu
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Camp Blanding WW2 markings

Post by JeepyStu » Tue May 24, 2022 1:45 am

Camp Blanding Florida

My Jeep spent WW2 at the above camp. No idea what it did. Any suggestions on what bumper markings I could put on it ?

Or the alternative is to go for 1st Infantry markings. My jeep doesnt have radio fitted or 30 cal so any suggestions what I could have on the bumper

Many thanks

pgcf
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Camp Blanding WW2 markings

Post by pgcf » Wed May 25, 2022 7:45 pm

Here is a list of units that trained there during the war.

Between 1940 and 1943, nine US Army infantry divisions trained at Camp Blanding, including: 1st Infantry Division, 29th Infantry Division, 30th Infantry Division, 31st Infantry Division, 36th Infantry Division, 43rd Infantry Division, 63rd Infantry Division, 66th Infantry Division, and 79th Infantry Division.

If your jeep was there and you want it as a tribute then go for any of the units above. If you do that I would look for markings when they were in theatre vs Stateside.

Having a radio or machine-gun is irrelevant. All these units had plenty of plain jeeps. The key is what element of the Division you select.

Either way, use the Army regulations for your bumper markings no matter what unit you choose.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Last edited by pgcf on Sun May 29, 2022 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loganr
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Loganr » Sat May 28, 2022 10:30 am

https://fl.ng.mil/Camp-Blanding/Pages/History.aspx

Contact the museum for units that were permanently stationed there.

The fact that it was a pow camp finding the MP unit attached to it would be a safe bet

Len Jones
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Len Jones » Thu Jun 02, 2022 12:09 pm

Thought this post card might be of interest :?:

Len
Attachments
P1210814.JPG
Camp Blanding
P1210815.JPG
November 24, 1943
Owner & Custodian of GPW 24043 since 1976.
MVT No 366.

JeepyStu
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by JeepyStu » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm

Sorry for the late reply. Gentleman that info is fantastic that your have provided. Many thanks its really appreciated

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:01 pm

JeepyStu wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm
Sorry for the late reply. Gentleman that info is fantastic that your have provided. Many thanks its really appreciated
Hello,

I also have a rough GPW that was there, based on it being listed in the 1946 War Surplus auction catalog :D

It is still a training base for the Florida national Guard, and has a decent museum there as well.

Here is a link to the WAA Jacksonville 1946 Auction at Camp Blanding :
The link is from Jeep Draw in Australia !

http://jeepdraw.com/images/WAA-Surplus- ... -11-46.pdf

I was happy to find one of my Jeeps on it here in Florida, and she needs a full restoration !

Best Regards,
Ray

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:40 pm

One other set of units to consider- the Army Service Forces. 4th Service Command covered Florida. I have had no luck looking for subordinate units which were part of the Service Commands, but I haven't dived too deeply into research. But the 4th Service Command definitely had control of all Florida installations in WWII, and would have controlled vehicles aside from the ones which belonged to combat units assigned there.
John K. Seidts RN:
Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items
Wanted- WWII US Medical and Engineer Items

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:13 pm

johnseidts wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:40 pm
One other set of units to consider- the Army Service Forces. 4th Service Command covered Florida. I have had no luck looking for subordinate units which were part of the Service Commands, but I haven't dived too deeply into research. But the 4th Service Command definitely had control of all Florida installations in WWII, and would have controlled vehicles aside from the ones which belonged to combat units assigned there.
Hello John,

That is great additional information.

I have a 42 Ford script jeep that has an engine rebuild tag on it from the 4th Service Command.

That was the second Jeep we ever owned, and the engine runs like it was new, but the jeep needs total restoration, and some driver's side frame repair.
Resized_20220615_085655.jpeg
It is on my list :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 pm

Ray,
If you have a pic of that rebuild tag, I'd like to see it. I am interested in 3rd Service Command stuff because it covers my native PA and adopted MD, plus my favorite installation- Valley Forge General Hospital. Below the link on wikipedia's page on Army Service Forces is a map on Army Service Commands. People should know more about these units!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Serv ... rch%201942.
John K. Seidts RN:

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:06 am

johnseidts wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 pm
Ray,
If you have a pic of that rebuild tag, I'd like to see it. I am interested in 3rd Service Command stuff because it covers my native PA and adopted MD, plus my favorite installation- Valley Forge General Hospital. Below the link on wikipedia's page on Army Service Forces is a map on Army Service Commands. People should know more about these units!

Hello John,

I will see what I can do to get a picture of the data plate.
Absolutely , their history should be known and promoted !!
Many times I see vehicles out west that have Service Command emblems on the doors, but I don't think they are replaced when restored .

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:51 am

johnseidts wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:15 pm
Ray,

Hello John,

Here is a picture of the 4th Service Command Reconditioned Engine tag.

I will say that when it was running, the reconditioned engine ran like it was brand new !
I am the third owner since it was sold surplus in 1950, as the title is dated.
The people I bought it from had the original signed title, and gave it to me, they used it for many years off road, here in Florida.
Resized_20220626_120137.jpeg
Resized_20220626_120040.jpeg
It was pretty dark, and I used the flash to get the picture.

4th Service Command Base Shop
Reconditioned Engine
Atlanta, Georgia
Screenshot_20220626-130012_eBay.jpg
Here is a pic of their unit shoulder patch found online.

I can't see the date, but I think it was 1945.
I will try to get it cleaned and oiled up to get that information.

Best Regards,
Ray

johnseidts
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:22 am

Ray,
My WC-54 has a rebuild plate on it, dated 7-47, from the Atlanta Ordnance Depot. I would speculate that this is the same facility as the one which rebulit your jeep. Very cool that our trucks may have crossed paths and came to rest this far apart.

I found this on wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Connolly. I think this is the place we are talking about.
John K. Seidts RN:

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:34 pm

johnseidts wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:22 am
Ray,
My WC-54 has a rebuild plate on it, dated 7-47, from the Atlanta Ordnance Depot. I would speculate that this is the same facility as the one which rebulit your jeep. Very cool that our trucks may have crossed paths and came to rest this far apart.

I found this on wikipedia- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camp_Connolly. I think this is the place we are talking about.
Hello John,

That is pretty cool !!

The GPW with the 4th Service Command rebuild is the second jeep we ever had, and I really want to get it restored, now that I have better skills and resources, to go with my first number 1 jeep, a late August 45 MB. Both need full restorations !

I also have a 1941 early half ton Dodge Command Car that has an Atlanta Ordnance rebuilt tag on the engine as well.
Resized_20210709_101806(1).jpeg
A little hard to read.
In one of my Pictorial History of WW2 books, there is a picture of soldiers from the 4th Service Command firing their .45s on a range.
They are all wearing helmets as well.

Here is a good write up on the Army Service Forces : We could use them again to unclog the global shipping disaster currently playing out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_Service_Forces

Best Regards,
Ray

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:18 pm

JeepyStu wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:15 pm
So, did you mark it for any of the training units at Blanding?
I have a personal connection with the camp. My uncle trained there in WW2, I trained there as an ROTC cadet at Florida State University in the 90s, and my nephew trained there as a ROTC cadet several years later. I'd love to see a Jeep confirmed to have been used there marked as one of the permanent units there.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

Return to “Unit & Vehicle Markings, General Military History, Unit-Battalion-Division Information”