New here

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
Erik
G-Private
G-Private
New here

Post by Erik » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:18 pm

Hello everyone,

I am new here on the forum and I think I sould introduce myself. I am Erik from the Netherlands and I have just bought a 1944 Willys MB witch has had a Dutch title since 1947. The Jeep is a runner and I enjoy driving it locally for the moment. This winter I plan on rebuilding the gearbox and transfer case because they whine so hard, I can't hear the engine. I also plan on doing a color change to lusterless olive drab. In the meantime I am upgrading my collection of manuals and relevant books to learn more about the change dates of the different parts. Because the Jeep has been in service all the time a lot of 'modifications' have been done to it and a lot of parts are not right at the moment (I know, it is better to buy the Jeep with the most correct parts on it, but I personally think the Dutch history of this Jeep is also a fact to consider. I also like the seach for original parts and learning a lot along the way).

I already learned a lot on the forum beeing a non member, and I hope that you guys have answers to questions I will get while working on this Jeep.

The Jeep shares the shed with my other 'Willys', A former Dutch army Nekaf M38A1. Witch is my daily driver in the summer.

I am planning to post some pictures of the refurbishment here on the forum.
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-09 at 1.12.48 AM.jpeg
Net op de garage na ophalen in Beusichem 2.jpg
foto 4 advertentie.jpg
foto 2 advertentie.jpg

sjalbert
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: New here

Post by sjalbert » Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:11 pm

Welcome to the "G". If you've been lurking for a while you know that there are lots of folks who enjoy sharing their knowledge.
Seth
1944 MB 349858, 20620361
1942 MBT 10968 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=149552
1942 MBT 15799, USA 0217497 viewtopic.php?f=18&t=225199
MVPA # 8587
Com / Inst. SMEL
CFII - ASEL
KI5LYB

Collecting Willys Engine Info. Please send me Engine #, Casting Date & Machining Date if known

Ed Roberts
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Ed Roberts » Wed Sep 09, 2020 3:50 pm

Eric, welcome to the G. Feel free to ask away, this is the place for answers. Looking forward to your progress.
Best, Eddie
V/r Eddie
1942 GPW #5739 "Sentimental Reasons"
MVPA & MVCC

17thAirborne
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 17thAirborne » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:17 pm

We are glad to have you as a new member. We look forward to hearing of your progress.

Groetjes
Oz

Feb 43 GPW 98532 USA 20206257
Oct 70 Land Rover Series 2a 25334079G NZ16GF36
http://gpw.castraponere.com/ (My Restoration Page)

Erik
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Erik » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:35 am

Thank you for the 'welcomes'. I have started to take off litte parts to refurbish and keep the Jeep drivable in the meantime. I tought I had an original fender blackout light bracket and bucket, but the bracket is not the same as the one I have seen in (a lot of) pictures. Can anyone identify the bracket in the pictures? The holes in the fender were widened from the original holes so I think it is a bracket from another vehicle.

Regards Erik
Attachments
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 10.31.52 AM.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2020-09-11 at 10.31.52 AM(1).jpeg

bazza46
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bazza46 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Hi Erik,
That's a real nice jeep you've got there. That blackout light bracket looks to be home made. I say that because I made one myself many years ago when they weren't as easy to get as now,and the bottom part looks exactly like mine. Reproducing the sharp edged pressing is hard to do without a big press and a properly shaped die. Yours has been bashed into shape probably on an anvil or vice, and so is not the clean cut shape of the original.
Also,, it may be a copy of the early style "tombstone' style bracket, which has wider spacing of the 2 holes at the front.
Also, the rear side reflector is not the original style: the rim is not deep enough. MV Spares sell exact replicas, as does Ron's store.
I'm sure you'll have fun getting it perfect. I personally, would not strip all the paint off it, but restore it as is. It has a great 'used' patina.
See picture of my homemade B.O.light bracket, & original style reflector.
Bazza
Attachments
Homemade Backout Light Bracket.jpg
H  reflector.jpg
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt"..Bertrand Russell

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Hey Erik
Like other posters have said lots of people here on the 503 ready willing and able to pass on knowledge and help. You also have a number of guys on here from your country who I'm sure you'll get to know of as time goes by. :) Welcome again.
regards Nick

Jpjedi
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Jpjedi » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:26 am

‘Welkom Erik! Ik ga je vorderingen volgen.’

Translation on request. 😜
Last edited by Jpjedi on Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:46 am

Welcome Erik, there is always help on here, and the jeep looks a "good un ". :D

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:48 am

Erik
gelukkige dagen maatje !!! waar woon je in nederland
Nick

Erik
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Erik » Mon Sep 14, 2020 11:56 am

Thank you for all the friendly replies, I have never been a member of a forum so this is new to me!

I will share some details about the Willys. The Jeep has a Willys frame and (slightly older) Willys engine. The frame is from june 9th 1944 and the engine has a casting date of january 8th 1944. Gearbox and transfer case are also Willys. Sadly the body, outer window frame and wheels (with too large tyres) are from a French Hotchkiss Jeep (hence the wrong reflectors on the back of the body). At the moment I an trying to researche the history of the Jeep. From 1947 to 1970 it has been with a lokal Dutch firefighting force, and after that is was used for icecream vending on the beach. The last owner (known to me) used it for memorial drives. As you can see in the pictures there are a lot 'wrong' parts on the Jeep right now. There is also a rather dangerous wiring loom present. But I will try to correct that in the future. The goal will be a nice, drivable, dependable and more correct Jeep. Not too nice as I like greenlaning.

The most difficult part of the researche is the history from 1944 to 1947. The middle body tag is missing and in all the books I have I find little information about Canadian Jeeps after 1942 (I think they came in British contracts). After the war there was a massive Canadian vehicle dump in the Netherlands (at Deelen airport), and therfore it is possible that my Jeep was a British/ Canadian Jeep. The Dutch government bought all these vehicles and the good ones were distributed to essential businesses and the government itself (and this way the fire stations). After all the vehicles and leftovers were sold the Dutch importer of Willys cars bought Jeeps at dumps in France and Germany, and sold them here. So that is also a possibility, and my Jeep would have been an American Jeep.

When the Jeep is painted I really like to put the right markings on it. I carefully sanded all the usual places but I have had no luck yet. I only found the birthdate of the last owner on the hood and a blue bumperette at the left site.

@Bazza46. I cleaned the fender blackout light and it is indeed a home made one. I an now searching for an original replacement (I figure that when I have to buy parts, the original parts add more character). Your homemade one looks not too bad, nice work!
@Nick Peters. I live in a small town near Breda

Again thank you all for the replys.
Attachments
schakelpookhoezen.jpg
reflector.jpg
rear.jpg
front left.jpg
dashplates.jpg
bumperette.jpg

raymond
G-General
G-General

Post by raymond » Mon Sep 14, 2020 4:18 pm

Hi Erik

My advice would be to ditch the MB and get an M151.

Once you experience the smoother ride, and more powerful engine, you'll throw rocks at the MB/GPW/M38/M38A1 :idea:

Raymond
"On the day when crime puts on the apparel of innocence, through a curious reversal peculiar to our age, it is innocence that is called on to justify itself." Albert Camus

Jpjedi
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Jpjedi » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:10 pm

Hi Erik,

I am from Prinsenbeek. Maybe we can have a chat someday.

JP

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:15 am

Hey Erik
Good luck with your research. Very difficult to trace your jeeps wartime history .Even if your very lucky to find original markings :roll: My son lived in Breda for a while. Nice part of the country :)
regards Nick

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”