WTB: 8V71 Oil Cooler for M109 Howitzer Power Pack

Armor, Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Timberwolf
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
WTB: 8V71 Oil Cooler for M109 Howitzer Power Pack

Post by Timberwolf » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am

Looking for one of these - oil cooler/ heat exchanger from the 8V71 power pack fitted to the M109 155mm Self-Propelled.

NSN 2930-01-013-7964
Detroit Diesel p/n 5149054 (another p/n sometimes crossed over to - 5149077 - is just the empty tube center section and won't work out.)

I already have every Google result there is/was, but was hoping someone had one cluttering up the museum workshop or garage or leftover from some project or other they wanted to sell off. Unfortunately the existing one grenaded thanks to water contamination and -35 degree outside storage, so it's a paperweight :(
Attachments
Oil-Cooler.jpg

RIEDY
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class
Re: WTB: 8V71 Oil Cooler for M109 Howitzer Power Pack

Post by RIEDY » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:03 pm

Timberwolf wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am
Looking for one of these - oil cooler/ heat exchanger from the 8V71 power pack fitted to the M109 155mm Self-Propelled.

NSN 2930-01-013-7964
Detroit Diesel p/n 5149054 (another p/n sometimes crossed over to - 5149077 - is just the empty tube center section and won't work out.)

I already have every Google result there is/was, but was hoping someone had one cluttering up the museum workshop or garage or leftover from some project or other they wanted to sell off. Unfortunately the existing one grenaded thanks to water contamination and -35 degree outside storage, so it's a paperweight :(
How much are you looking to spend on a new one ?

Timberwolf
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Timberwolf » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:27 pm

My job is to get a bunch of quotes, put them in a proposal, and present them to the powers-that-be. But as a guideline, there are a number of $3000 - $8000 options readily found via Google etc. and...that didn't fly at the budget meeting. :(

RIEDY
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by RIEDY » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Hi i noticed you have a M109 i have mean going through pallets of surplus parts from the 80's from Camp Pendleton and have identifies a fair amount of break component rebuild kits if you have any interest please give me a call 1-619-851-1194 thanks .

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:24 pm

I still recommend a photo of the exact part, maybe a photo of the break also, perhaps it can be repaired (machine work) VS purchasing a new one, you cannot tell without photos.
And the part shown in the above post doesn't help with a relation to where it is located upon the engine, which direction is up, mounting, etc. would help someone that may spot one on an old engine to assist you quicker.
Just trying to help, or..... you can throw money at it.
W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Timberwolf
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Timberwolf » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:06 am

Oil-Cooler-Exploded-Coloured.jpg
The exploded diagram shows the affected parts. Basically the lower housing of the shell assembly shown in blue is badly bulged in the center and riddled with microcracks, so repair isn't going to happen. We thought of welding in another tube but unfortunately where this diagram from the 24P shows the cores ( - green coded in the exploded diagram - made up of individual little straw-like tubes) removable - later versions such as the one we have are all one piece. And many of the individual tubes burst thanks to the water/ freezeup situation.

Obviously it's been a problem before because there are many weld repairs where the tubular housing meets the side castings, so it's been bandaided a bunch of times prior to the last go-round with mother nature.

Second picture is the unit installed on the 8V71.
Attachments
M109-OilCooler-Installed-Color.jpg

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:38 am

Why a photo helps SO much...
In looking at your exploded diagram it dawns on me we had several of those "Tube" assemblies come into my place with other oil filters we bought.
Now I cannot say for certain if we kept all of them, or exactly where they are, but if I did have them, could you solder (TIG) weld up the housing and insert new tube assemblies solving your problem?
(I will look tonight)

Alternatively unless they are running the devil out of this in a War, a simple alternative filter assembly might fit between the input and output hoses as another type and get the beast moving. Unless it was somehow needed to be 100% original I cannot fathom restoring it with OEM parts just for giggles sake.

Glad you posted the illustrations, now at least I know what those tube coolers were for, even if they might not be the exact model.
V/R W. Winget

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:23 pm

Well what I have laying in the shop (a whole bunch of them) are NSN:2930-00-701-2091 (same Part Number) Element, Oil Cooler
But they would appear shorter than what you would require (about 8" long, 5" :?: across perhaps, I could measure :roll: if needed )
At least this is what I believe would a type similar to what you need for your cooler if you were rebuilding it. Heck I would put two inline if I needed to get a longer one, with two rods aligning the holes just to accomplish the mission.
Will keep an eye out now that I know what they look like.
V/R W Winget
Just looked it up: "Used on M809 and M939 Series 5 Ton Military Trucks with NHC-250 Cummins Diesel Engine" Sorry...
Oil Cooler view.jpg
NOS Oil Coolers
Oil Cooler view 2.jpg
boxes, that's 1" plywood board under it
Oil Cooler number.jpg
NSN

Timberwolf
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Timberwolf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:42 pm

It was worth a shot :) Someone may be helping us out who picked up a bunch of stuff from scrapped M109s so we'll see.

Return to “Armor”