L4 Grasshopper info needed

and other stuff up in the air
bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

L4 Grasshopper info needed

Post by bobc » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:45 am

Now that my body is falling apart working on full sized equipment is no longer feasible,but I'm not ready to sit in front of a TV all day,so to keep busy I got into 1/6th scale military (GI Joe scale). The stuff available now days is incredible,much better then when we were kids,I'm always looking for something to add,I would love to add a war bird to the collection but they are usually very expensive and are really big,but recently I found a 1/6th scale Piper cub model for $125,none of the RC stuff is included or an engine but for a static model it's perfect,it come assembled and covered all I have to do is install the wings and landing gear!
But I never leave well enough alone so I am going to covert it into a L4 Grasshopper,specifically Rosie the Rocketer! The one Charles Carpenter installed 6 M6 bazookas on and took out 6 German tanks!
I have plenty of pictures but one thing I can't figure out is the paint! Was the paint flat OD like the tanks and Jeeps,or was it more of a semi gloss like the ammo cans and Jerry cans?
If anyone has acatual plans or knows were I can find them online I would appreciate that as well. Thanks!
M-2-A-1 White half-track, 41 CCKW SWB (yard truck), hoping to start working on my G-506 open cab.

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: L4 Grasshopper info needed

Post by Wolfman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 5:29 am

Don't have any paper work but from pictures I have seen, the shade of OD looked to be the same as the military vehicles of the period.
Have also seen pictures of OD Piper Cubs that were used as spotter planes.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:53 am

From building plastic models of wwii aircraft years ago it seemed I was using 34087 OD. Was amazed that the Model Master spray can 34087 was EXACTLY same shade as the 34087 from Gillispie I was using on my G506 parts.
In retrospect I guess I should have been using Gillispie spray cans on the model--much cheaper than the small cans of model paint. :roll:
Educated guess was that the two were chemically the same as well. I.E. dry time, handling characteristics, sheen, shade even the smell and the way automotive cleanup thinner (laquer) cleaned up afterwards.

I'll add that my "guess" comes with a few years experience as a autobody tech, with certification from PPG hanging on the wall :D
Hope this helps, your mileage may vary-------------

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:34 am

OK, just a little bit more info-----
Just pulled down the box for my B24 Liberator Revell model kit #5625. I bought this years ago because it was the only plastic model I could find of a Cletrac M2 Medium High Speed Tractor at the time, which was included in the kit. I built the aircraft model as the "Jerks Natural" nose art option. Never did finish the dang Cletrac model-still in the box, LOL! :roll:

Yep, in the directions, this kit called for FS34087 as the base color for the aircraft.

Actually looked up "Jerk's Natural" and found a pic of it sitting at an airbase in North Africa just before it's mission on the Ploesti Raid.

My second wife's dad was tail gunner on the second B-24 over Ploesti. Never did get the name of his aircraft--will always wonder-------

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks! When looking at pictures online some of them look OD some semi gloss. It's at my post office now but it's so big it's sitting behind the counter waiting for me,I have 6 bazookas coming and the weather looks nasty for tomorrow so I can take the day off and play with my new toy!
M-2-A-1 White half-track, 41 CCKW SWB (yard truck), hoping to start working on my G-506 open cab.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:26 pm

Be careful of the paint you use on the model. Is it made of foam plastic? Some of the JEEP parts dealers have OD 19 and 2430 Enamel in spray cans.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:03 pm

This model is supposed to be an RC plane,so it's a skinned wooden frame airplane. So it should be safe to use Aervoe paint that I use on all my small parts,unless it wrinkles the paint that is on it,but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
The plane comes in the standard Piper Cub form,so I am going to have to add all the extra L-4 windows!

Walter
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Walter » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:15 pm

Good Evening Bobbc:

I believe that you will find that the WWII aircraft are very much like the vehicles concerning the various color shades. They did vary and more importantly, while there was a preferred shade from time to time, they used what they had, especially in the field. I think that you will find that federal color shade 319 was used extensively on WWII aircraft. It is a flat color somewhere in between 34087 and 33070 favoring the darker 33070.

I have a 1943 Stinson L-5 Sentinel, observer model that I am restoring. As a side note, later in the war Stinson modified the L-5 for a dual mission, the original observation and liaison work and also as an air ambulance. In hanging out with other L-5 guys, they confirmed that 319 should be used on the OD parts of my L-5. I have attached a couple of picture showing both models of the L-5, for grins.

If the J-3 model is wood framed and was flown or supposed to be flown as an RC model it will have a fuel proof coating or covering on it. If it was covered with some sort of actual fabric, it could be painted in butyrate or nitrate dope similar to some of the covering systems used on full scale aircraft. You can certainly change the color of these systems, but need to use coatings that are compatible. It could and in all probability is, covered with a heat applied and heat shrunk mylar type covering. The colors for these coverings are on the inside and effectively are incorporated in the adhesive properties of the covering. The outside or top surface has the feel of glossy scotch tape and as a result may be problematic to paint. You might want to check with the seller to see what it is actually finished with. You can and will probably need to recover some of it in the area where you add the additional greenhouse class to make it an L-4 instead of a J-3

For those who are not familiar with RC aircraft engines, they are two cycle and have a relatively high oil content that winds up coating the aircraft with a thin coat of clear oil, especially near the exhaust port. It has been awhile since I flew the RC's and like everything else, time and technology do change over time. But when I was active, the fuel was a blend of alcohol, caster oil and various amounts of nitro. Hence the need of the covering to be fuel proof.

The top picture is an Ambulance model. The middle, in flight picture is an observer model. I included the bottom picture to show a Liaison aircraft like the L-4 or L-5 in the field.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Walter
Attachments
Q-AerialSpotters-5-HT-Fal10.jpg
ca34bb02066b653d07f58e3cb5fa9cda--discussion-aviation.jpg
8f40e2f564532edeaf0432db6db184c3--guinea-antique.jpg

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:50 pm

Thanks Walter! It is a wood framed model,which is going to require a large amount of work to create the birdcage section,since I don't plan on making it airworthy I plan on building the frame work out of 1/16th welding wire,I have found really good plans on line as well as photos of an L4 being rebuilt!
The covering is that mylar stuff so I'll have to check on painting it,I'm hoping that primer will stick to it,if all else fails I'll recover it,which I might have to once I get the birdcage built.
Thanks again,Bob.

Walter

Post by Walter » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:54 am

Good Morning Bob:

The folks that make the mylar type covering do make a really attractive shade of OD. I am not sure of its actual shade. I have used it in the past on some of my birds. Check with your local hobby shop. They may or may not stock it, but I am sure they can order it. Sounds like a great project. Good luck!

Regards,

Walter

cvairwerks
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by cvairwerks » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:04 am

Bob: Might want to pick up the conversion drawing set from WagAero to make their Sport Trainer into an L-4. Although it's for the full size a/c, it would be a help if you don't have a real L-4 handy to use as an Oklahoma blueprint.

Craig

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:19 am

Thanks,I'll look them up. The nice thing about 1/6th scale is that I have rulers in that scale,I do a lot of scratch building and trying to do all that math in my head just doesn't work!

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by waayfast » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Hello,
I recently got my latest copy of Air and Space Smithsonian magazine, the May 2020 edition.

It has a very good article on the actual Rosie the Rocketer L4 flown by Charles Carpenter, serial number 43-30426.
The actual aircraft has been found and is being restored by the Collings Foundation.
Very cool article!

bobc
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by bobc » Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:03 pm

I;ll have to look for a copy of that,Thanks.
Here is a picture of where the plane is now,I have cut all the fuselage off above the window sills,the wings have been trimmed by an inch so I can make the clear roof,I have the frame work started but got caught up in a couple of building projects,I found that the mylar covering takes paint very well,I painted the rudder OD and it covered quite well,I won't paint the rest until it's all done so I don't scratch it.Image

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:26 am

Nice work, Bob.
I have built several aircraft ( full sized ) over the years and what you are doing looks great !
Some one mentioned Wag Aero. I still have the Sport Trainer ( Cuby ) that was built by my father with my help, back in the early 80's.
Clipped wing Mod, with 100 HP. Cont. O-200 engine. Great airplane.
Keep up the good work !
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”