Looking for Linesman Tools

Living History / Reenacting uniforms, field gear, and equiptment, Wanted, For Sale (NO EBAY ITEMS) or Trade.
42swing
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Looking for Linesman Tools

Post by 42swing » Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:51 am

This is posted on the Tools forum also where it was suggested I post here as well.

I'm looking for a few lineman's tools to complete a signals machinists tool kit from 1943:

Adze, full head, 4 1/2 cut, handled

Clamp, wire, eccentric, come along, for wire 0 or smaller

Cutter, wire, 3/8" capacity, with insulated handles, 18-21" length

Hammer, mason's, 3lb, handled

Original date on the packing diagram is 1931, with a revision date of 1943. So I'm guessing tools from any year between 31 and 43 would be correct. Based on a little internet research, the adze, cutter, and hammer are similar to today's. There are several modern versions of the cable clamp, but I have no idea what the war-time clamp looks like.

Anybody have anything?
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant
Re: Looking for Linesman Tools

Post by markrdje » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:59 pm

I had a pair of hooks, belt from the 30's or 40's.they were primitive looking, nothing like they are today.I bet they made the feet hurt, rubbed sores the calves
change user name to mark

42swing

Post by 42swing » Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:00 am

Yep, I have the climbers and they do look like instruments of torture. I showed them to a good friend who was a linesman and did climb poles when a bucket wasn't available. He just shuddered...
Malvern, PA
1942 MB 180635
1943 Willys MBT
1940 Elgin male bicycle
1940 Columbia female bicycle
1943 M3A4 Hand Cart
1943 Harley Davidson WLA with side car

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:51 pm

I might add climbing with safety strap around the pole(they called it hitch-hiking) was not considered climbing, doing it with your hands as a guide on the sides of the pole while climbing was.Kicking the gaffs in the pole wasn't correct either, you just stepped up the pole.The CCA poles(green colored) were very hard so you had to kick the gaffs in, then they might go in just 1/8".If you fell, it was supposed to be done gracefully.LOL
change user name to mark

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:31 am

The old creosote poles were rougher and gaffs went in easier. A lot of backyard electric poles down here and no way to get equipment in so lineman did climb even into 80's. Now they have little crawlers that go through yards. Last time I saw a pole climber was about 10 years ago. He was my age mid 50's then and was not thrilled about it.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:37 am

Being in shape is a big factor as well as for doing the work too.The last time I climbed a pole I was in my mid 50's.Oh they said the creosote caused cancer, putting your hands/arm in the transformer oil when changing the transformer taps taps didn't do you any good either.The cedar poles were easier to put the gaffs in too.Aw, enough on the old days.Being a lineman now is alot safer/better pay.
change user name to mark

MP 38
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by MP 38 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:37 pm

Well, we don't climb as much as we use to 35 yrs. ago but believe me it is still part of the craft. With the primary voltages and customers not wanting interruptions of service its not a safe option a lot of times. If doing new construction it is still done though.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:41 pm

I might add time has caused my climbing belt to shrink quite a bit LOL.
change user name to mark

MP 38
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by MP 38 » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:00 am

That's very true. I had that problem too until a few yrs. ago when we all had to go to the fall arrest type belts, then what do you know, the belts fit again.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:45 am

I might add a climbing trick of the trade--ok while climbing a pole as you are taking a step up, your foot is moving up, the gaff is naturally away from the pole, I kept the gaff point rubbing against the pole lightly as moving the foot up, so if the other foot gaffs out, the other one will catch/go in the pole, thus no burning the pole.The other way has caused alot of falls.Of course, this technique takes alot of practice as everything else does
change user name to mark

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Wanted, For Sale”