Southern California no longer registering MVs

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
Retired War Horses
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Southern California no longer registering MVs

Post by Retired War Horses » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:40 am

Lots of bad info in these replies as it pertains to titling for road use on HMMWV’s, let me set the record a bit straighter.

1. Any and all vehicles that enter calif must have a vin verification..no exceptions.
2. As of Nov 2017, any HMMWV requiring vin verification MUST per DMV be Vin verified by DMV ONLY.

New Information
There are three different types of government surplus vehicles (GSVs):
 Government Surplus Vehicles (GSVs)—Can be from any federal agency except the military. Most of these vehicles are complying and have:
—A 17 digit vehicle identification number (VIN).
—An emission label.
—A Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) label.
 Military Vehicles (Humvees)—Are usually sold through auctions and
cannot be registered for on-highway use. However, they may be registered for off- highway use if written on the United States Government Certification to Obtain Title to a Vehicle (SF 97-1) form. These vehicles will not have:
—A 17 digit VIN, but will have a serial number.
—A secondary or alternate VIN.
—An emission label.
—An FMVSS label.
 Tactical Vehicles—Are military vehicles except they have a U.S. Department of Defense (DOD) Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) Certificate to Register a Tactical Vehicle (DLA 1928) form. These vehicles can be registered for on-highway use, only when an exempt agency is using these vehicles for defense exercises. The U.S. government remains the lien holder on these vehicles. Tactical vehicles will not have: —A 17 digit VIN, but will have a serial number.
—A secondary or alternate VIN. —An emission label.
—An FMVSS label.
Procedures
 GSVs
— For titling purposes, these vehicles must have an SF 97-1.
• Military Vehicles
—Do not accept a Verification of Vehicle (REG 31) form from anyone except the
Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If DMV is unable to find the serial number, refer the customer to the California Highway Patrol (CHP).
—Customers will have an SF 97-1 in lieu of titling documents. If the SF 97-1 is lost, the customer must get a duplicate from the auction. If the auction cannot provide a duplicate, they must provide the contact information of the federal government agency where one can be obtained

Also worth noting, in conjunction with this change, the VIN verification form changed to add “HMMWV” as a specific reason
To cite off Hwy only, as well as address SF97 type vehicles.

The person who got his plates taken away was an exception to the rule, he was issued plates by accident at the local DMV, in the mean time, his registration was suspended to TC “technical compliance” division where they figured it out, thus demanding plates back, I’ve had this very thing happen to several customers.
I must tell a potential buyer once a week, DO NOT BUY an out of state titled hmmwv and attempt to get it California titled, unfortunately so far, my warnings have been ignored by these people and 100% of them have been blocked or Registration has been revoked after they slipped through.
Also, AAA cannot perform any sort of service for these trucks, Only DMV can over ride the 6 digit serial number used as the VIN.
So they will send you to DMV.

I’ve attempted to work with my congressman and his office to get policy change, I’ve tried to work with VFW as a support chain to help move it along, all pretty much fell on deaf ears, They were more interested in giving away gift cards and having crab feeds, yet they are always asking for military vehicles for parades and events, I even offered to donate a HMMWV for the cause!
No one would take ownership to store it...

AFAIC, this is a CARB led assault...California Air Resources Board is the equivalent of the Politburo.
DMV has on several occasions sent me to them as the reason for denials of road registration.
What I find odd is this, you will allow me to operate the truck off road, in some of the most pristine areas of California, such as the rubicon and the likes, tearing up the environment you so dearly love, but I can’t take it to a parade or a Sunday drive.
I pushed hard for Historical plates with the limitations outlined by DMV and it’s uses...I had no problem with that.
But NOPE...they were willling to allow issuance of a 1 day trip permit with a 50 mile max round trip for a parade.
Retired War Horses Restoration

Call us for all your HMMWV parts, service, upgrades and conversion needs.

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:52 am

looks like all classic/antique vehicles in CA could be imperiled by legislation...

Kevin Hart Is Reportedly Preparing for Lawsuit Following Car Crash

A lawsuit could be pending as a result of Kevin Hart's serious car crash.

TMZ reports that both the driver and other passenger involved in the crash have obtained lawyers. Hart has assembled a legal team as well. Hart could be under fire from the driver—who sustained major back injuries—and the passenger, Rebecca Broxterman, who was able to walk away from the incident for the car's lack of safety features.

In an effort to keep the car's authenticity, Hart didn't add safety harnesses or airbags to his 1970 Plymouth Barracuda. According to insiders, the other victims feel like this added to their injuries and constitutes negligence. The driver could also face a lawsuit depending on the outcome of the California Highway Patrol's investigation.

Hart will reportedly argue that the unnamed company that customized his car is highly regarded and respected for their work. Even if Kevin requested a custom job without safety harnesses, the company could be on defense for not refusing the order and telling the comedian that this was unsafe.

This case could change the world of classic cars. Per law enforcement sources, the California Highway Patrol could push for a bill that makes adding safety harnesses and airbags to classic cars mandatory in the state of California.

https://www.complex.com/pop-culture/201 ... -car-crash
Rob
Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm, and three or more is a Congress.“ John Adams

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:30 am

Can't wait to hear what the Model T, Model A or Model B guys will say about adding airbags. Corvette owners and T-bird owners and MG-A or MG-B or even any convertible owner with a vehicle made prior to this century will freak out.

Maybe it would be possible to simply keep a Disclosure form that releases the driver/owner from such lawsuits that pivot on the SAFETY of the seat belts and/or lack of airbags. Lawsuits stemming from driver negligence (either vehicle in a crash) or DUI issues or even problems related to the manufacturer of the vehicle (think Tesla lately for one) should be no problem.

Perhaps all home owners should be required to add sprinklers to their homes. Maybe cut down all trees within 100 ft. of their house. Mandate that the State remove any flammable material (think grass) along all roads and remove any trees to prevent fires would be next.

Basically the "OMG" reactions to any of this stuff generally are enough to prevent enough legislators from getting on the bandwagon because 50% of their energy is devoted to getting reelected and pissing-off voters is usually the kiss of death in many jurisdictions.

Maybe its just that everybody digs WWII jeeps partly for their being in WWII but don't like the Humvee on the roads because it and the drivers tend to be a bit intimidating.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

junking
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by junking » Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:27 pm

Like most MV collectors in CA, I have had difficulties with the DMV. I was sent to get my VIN verification with ca highway patrol. The officer asked what kind of vehical. I mistakenly called it a WC. He also said we do not verify any MVs. I told him it was not a HUMVEE. He also said call it what you want. It is a MV and their rules dont differentiate between different types. I'm on the central coast and this happened 4 months ago.

I have another MV to register. My recommendation is never tell them it is military and if someone gives you an answer you dont like, get back in line and ask someone else. I spent a couple days doing this. If I saw I was heading to the same person, i would get back in line. I would also try different dmv offices. Make sure you have all your documents ready: at minimum BOS, statement of facts, and old paperwork.

My latest project was abandoned so I need to start from scratch....

Cheers!
Military:41 WC-1, 41 WC-3, 43 MB, 43 WC-62, 52 M37
Civilian:31 Model A, 41 Pontiac, 56 Chev, 66 Mustang

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:29 pm

You should have asked him exactly who this mysterious "we" is, and requested he quote you chapter and verse of the CA Motor Vehicle Code that no longer registers MVs. Maybe the better way is to go a local CHP office and not the DMV office and have the MV on a trailer. I would bet if you parked in their visitors parking lot that sooner or later a CHP officer who is into MVs would come by to check out your rig. Seeing as how it might take him/her all of three minutes for you to pop the hood, point out the neatly revealed frame number (GPW) or the frame tag (MB) and the data plate and any paperwork including the BOS, he/she might help you out.

I don't get the "no longer registering" bit at all.....every year I send in my money to "register" my GPW and nobody ever sent it back from DMV.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:57 pm

I just registered a GPW that I purchased out of Oregon at the California DMV. The only difference nowadays from a few years ago is that they now require me to pull the vehicle off the trailer and over to the area where they do the driving test. They will do the vehicle identification number verification there. No CHP verification required.

After verification, they make me move it back to the trailer and get back in line. Took me a bit to convince them that it was a 1943 GPW vs. a 1948 GPW as it was registered in Oregon. They changed it. However, when I introduced my 1941 license plates, yellow 1942 registration tab, and 1943 V for victory registration tab, their minds were blown and that cost me another hour. After several clerks, supervisors and managers, they were never able to figure it out, so had to send the whole mess down to Sacramento. It's been about three weeks now and still haven't heard anything. But I have my temporary registration pending my license plates.

I also have taken in Dodge WC's to DMV that I have restored and do not have a BOS or paperwork get them registered. Takes a bit to convince them, but eventually gets completed. Never ever call it a truck!! SUV and you are golden. Of course, I have regular/vintage plates and not historic plates on all my vehicles. Also, always go to the smallest most rural DMV one can find...
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Bill H.
G Moderator
G Moderator

Post by Bill H. » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Any law enforcement officer can do a VIN verification in California. It does not have to be a CHP. That said, there are some agencies that have a policy of not doing them but they are still authorized to.
Bill H.

"Each shall seek his own kind, in other words, a bird may love a fish but where would they build a home together?" Tevye, Fiddler on the Roof

1952 Dunbar Kapple M100
1953 Willys M38A1
1962 AMC M422A1
1965 Stevens M416B1 X 2
1967 Kaiser M715

2 Timothy 3:1-5

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am

Wow, that is really bad news. And I thought our DMV was hard to deal with; compared to CA they are easy.
No need to fret though, in a few years, the new green deal will outlaw all these old engines (CA first), so all your vehicles will be static displays.
I can't wait. You guys are ruining the planet out there. And it will mean more gas and diesel for me.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:34 am

The main problem is vehicles produced after they introduced the 17 digit VIN and the National Safety compliance sticker. I want to say that happened around 1970 give or take?

Old WCs and Jeeps even early M series haven't been a problem yet. Just did an out of state GPW. Took it to my local private dmv service and they verified it in seconds. And on just a BOS.

My current understanding is if the vehicle is after a certain year (1970?), doesn't have a 17 digit VIN it has to be inspected by a dedicated CHP officer (one per region I am told). If it is then determined that it doesn't have the national safety sticker, no on road registration will happen.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:36 am

dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 9:04 am
Wow, that is really bad news. And I thought our DMV was hard to deal with; compared to CA they are easy.
No need to fret though, in a few years, the new green deal will outlaw all these old engines (CA first), so all your vehicles will be static displays.
I can't wait. You guys are ruining the planet out there. And it will mean more gas and diesel for me.
When that happens...About the only benefit to living close to the border is driving a eco friendly car south of the border filling up some Gerry cans with gas and bringing it back , at least until the idiots in Sacramento make that illegal, which I wouldn't put past them.
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

junking
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by junking » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:37 am

Going round and round with the DMV regarding my wc62 registration. The local dmv says I have all the paperwork and send it in. I get it back from Sac because I missed a signature on the historical plates form, sent it back. I get the package back stating I need a weight certificate before I can apply for my historical plates. Went to local DMV to resolve. They say the same thing.

Last time I went through this process I got the weight certificate and brought it to the dmv and they asked why I did this as historical plates dont need them....

They asked me if it was an truck, I should have told them no and said it was an SUV or something like that.

It takes a lot of patience to get one of these through if you don't have any original paper work....

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:30 am

As a Soldier stationed at NTC in California, I mistakenly thought it would be good to register my F150 pickup truck there.
I dutifully "fixed" all my emissions gear (1977 truck bought abused and this was 1992...an OLD truck...) So I paid a couple of hundred to swap in good parts.
I then went to DMV, stood in a hot line for an hour, they charged me $70, and told me to go weigh it. I inquired why as it was an F150 and they said something about pickups being used as commercial vehicles...???? I argued it was just my car and asked if they knew what an F150 was to no avail.

I went to a local household shipping company and paid for a weight ticket, returned to DMV and stood in line another 45+ minutes, once at the front of the line, they said $80..I said "I paid $70 already", they said it's another $80 due to the weight ?????...
I went off, fed up with the whole business...
I demanded all my money back, started getting loud and insistent, the crowd in line started looking scared, I turned to them and asked them how they put up with these idiots...the manager came out to deal with me, I told them to go to H... and I would register my vehicle in Virginia for $20, they refunded my money and I left in disgust. I then contacted my Virginia DMV and had stickers for my plate three weeks later for $20 plus postage. I hadn't realized at the time being a young LT that I didn't need local plates and was covered by my home of record. MANY Lesson(s) Learned during that.

I don't even think I will ever have the need to visit California for anything in the remainder of my lifetime, now Virginia (Northern area around DC) has voted in an entire House, Senate and Governor worth of Democrats in, with a mindset to change VA into CA or NY with immediate gun restriction laws pending in January, so all the (Southern Virginia) Counties are enacting 2nd Amendment Sanctuary Status. Won't stop a legal law, but it does smack them in the face with their own silliness.
What happened to the South the last time Northern Politics were pushed down their throats? :roll:
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:54 pm

junking wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:37 am
Going round and round with the DMV regarding my wc62 registration. The local dmv says I have all the paperwork and send it in. I get it back from Sac because I missed a signature on the historical plates form, sent it back. I get the package back stating I need a weight certificate before I can apply for my historical plates. Went to local DMV to resolve. They say the same thing.

Last time I went through this process I got the weight certificate and brought it to the dmv and they asked why I did this as historical plates dont need them....

They asked me if it was an truck, I should have told them no and said it was an SUV or something like that.

It takes a lot of patience to get one of these through if you don't have any original paper work....
The morons out here get you coming and going. There is no weight fee on a historical plate vehicle. Even if it is a truck, because you cant use it as a truck (that requires commercial plates). Anything in the bed and they can ticket you.

I cant wait to get out of here and I am a native. I have them registered both ways, historic and commercial. My M-37 was registered long enough ago as commercial that its "only" $120/yr, but I can haul with it, park at yellow curbs (worth the price of admission!) and get zero scrutiny.

junking
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by junking » Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:42 pm

There re happy to take your money, but dont want to do anything for it sometimes.

They told me I shouldnt have paid my registration with out a weight certificate, even when they previously said everything was ready to go.

Now I cant get my registration till I get a weight certificate. It doesnt run or have brakes yet. Really dont like putting money in a vehical that doesnt not have a title in hand, although not in their system previously. They also say I have to continue to pay my fees, get no plates, and they will not notify me when fees are due, and if late will have to pay lates fees, will not allow to go non-OP, and will not reverse their mistake.

Time to go to another dmv office.....

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Call your state representative. Raise hell. Ive done it twice now and it works wonders getting the non-playable-characters at DMV into gear.

Return to “Legislative Issues”