New owner

G503 General Discussion and Chat Board where users can discuss any topic about their jeeps. Jeep Use both On and Off Road, Handy & Safety Tips. Topics that don't belong on the Technical Boards, such as personal restoration progress etc. It functions as a Clubhouse.
kavontn
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: New owner

Post by kavontn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:01 am

Well after working on it for a while and waiting for parts I got it running again. Went with an MV Spares wiring harness.

I didn't do everything yet. When I get more time I'll do everything else under the dash.

Also put a new bendix drive in the starter.

JIMN
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by JIMN » Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 am

Glad to see you have it going again.
Tips.....
See if your fuel pump has a priming lever. If it doesn’t, then get one. If the Jeep has been sitting a few days,I pump mine until I fill the carb bowl (you can hear it), then a couple accelerator pumps(you can hear those squirts also), a little choke, a little pull on the hand throttle, and that baby will fire right up for you without grinding on the starter (providing you remembered to turn on the ignition).

Frank USMC
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Frank USMC » Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:33 am

On priming your fuel bowl, a WWII Marine tough me this
I pop the carburetor horn off the top of the carburetor. Fill a oil can (like the on on the fire wall) with fuel, stick it into the carburetor, it should start dripping fuel into the carburetor. The jeep should fire right up, and in a few seconds you will see the fuel pump bowl fill up.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET
PS, a side note, the WWII Marine, if you look at the book Jeep,Jeep,Jeep. Find the photo of the Marine jeep with wide sand tires. He was the one who made the rims for the Marines to test, but they liked the idea, but did not go with it. To back up his story he gave me some photos he took that day.

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

JIMN wrote:
Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:25 am
See if your fuel pump has a priming lever. If it doesn’t, then get one.
I've talked with Ron about this in the past and he told me that a lot (if not all) of the new-made priming lever fuel pumps fail over a short period of time and at the time I talked with him about it, he wasn't even stocking them for that reason.
If that has changed and new-made priming lever pumps work great now over time, then I need to get one. But for now, I'm going with what Ron told me and wouldn't suggest getting one.
1944 Willys MB #366014
MVPA, REMF, former US Army Captain

Return to “G503 General Discussion Board”