lose my head over huey

and other stuff up in the air
vj
Sergeant Major of the Gee

lose my head over huey

Post by vj » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:40 am

I like the huey and the Blackhawk, I Will try to post some picture.
Attachments
CHOPPER.JPG
CHOPPER.JPG (131.41 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
100_0750.JPG
100_0750.JPG (110.13 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
100_0739.JPG
100_0739.JPG (122.96 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
BEACH.JPG
BEACH.JPG (42.92 KiB) Viewed 5029 times
I have got four running halftracks,plus 5 ton ww2 semi-truck,1943 willys jeep and other ww2 vehicles,plus a lot of parts to trade on. Wendell in Tn.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: lose my head over huey

Post by Mark Jesic » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:13 am

I love Hueys. :D

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:42 am

I love flying !!
When I was in country and had a day off, we went to the PX.
Obviously, when you had a Huey, you spent your day off on the beach !! 8)
I am wondering who took the beach picture ??
Never mind. Might be classified ! :lol:
I knew a fighter pilot, stationed in Guam. Said he spent his weekends off in Thailand.
Guess it is all relevant to what you are flying.
I liked the little guy's " Beatles " haircut.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)
4th Inf. Div. - 5th Inf. Div. - 2nd Armor Div. - CIB

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:49 am

Yes I love also the UH-1.
That legendary machine has a special place in my souvenirs.

In 1990, I was working in the Defense industry and in a mission in Morocco to fix an unusual problem with 120 mm mortar electronic proximity fuzes.
It was a little surprising for a civilian to be driven by C-130 from Casablanca to Dakhla and then by a UH-1 helicopter down to Bir Guandouz (300km) in the heart of the Sahara desert... and in a war theater between Morocco and the Polisario.
Without preliminary notice, of course.
We eventually finished the travel in a Toyota land cruiser jeep down to the Moroccan army trenches ...

The Moroccan UH-1 was beautiful, same as this one, and flying above the Sahara with the doors open was a pleasure:
UH-1_Morocco.jpg
UH-1_Morocco.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 4973 times
What was disturbing was that the UH-1 crew was constantly looking towards the East when flying South.
When questioned, they told us that the week before a C-130 was damaged by a missile from the Polisario :shock:

What was amazing was that the UH-1crew had taken with them, hidden behind our seats, what was necessary to organize a memorable Moroccan Mechoui with the officers. :lol:

Other than that, after an hour in a UH-1, you believe you are in a wash machine, shaken to the rhythm of the two blades :) !

Yves
(BTW The mortar problem was really unusual :D : they were shooting the shell almost vertically, beyond the mortar firing table limits !
Of course at the apex, the fuze power turbine was stopping and sometimes was never restarting afterwards.
That was chilling to see the 120mm shells falling sometimes unexploded about 20-30 meters away from the trench.
They explained that it was the only method to be sure to touch the enemy that remained invisible up to the last minute due the sand storms. :o :)
And yes, due to the wind the shell could also fall into the trench :shock:
I guess the problem was real because 3 day's after the firing tests, the sand was still getting out of my eyes.!)
Ford GPW 1943 - Louisville - DoD 12-7-43
serial 164794

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 am

Amazing story Yves, what would i give to go up in a Huey, but those circumstances well....... :o

SGT Fish
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by SGT Fish » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm

I see the iraqis flying some of our old Hueys most days. Really wish they were still ours. And wish I was working on then instead of these new electronic nightmares

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:10 pm

SGT Fish wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm
And wish I was working on then instead of these new electronic nightmares
Your UH-60 Black Hack "full of electronics" are beautiful and are the legends of tomorrow :D
Hopefully for you guys, you have On Board Diagnostic (OBD) tools like in modern cars :wink: !
serial 164794

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am

Great story, Yves. I see you have done more exciting things in life than sit in a lab and scramble atoms. Not that this could not be exciting at times !!
Electronics in any thing but computers and radios can be fun toys but can be a major problem. Especially when something quits.
Who's in control ??
I like to be able to get out, when my vehicle quits and at least have a chance to fix it to get home.
With modern vehicles, no need. Just call a tow truck and be prepared to pay. :twisted:
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:00 am

Wolfman wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:11 am
I see you have done more exciting things in life than sit in a lab and scramble atoms.
:lol: . Yes and I'm writing these stories for my kids.
In the Defense business, I've other very funny (or sometimes scary) stories on proving ground or even in labs :) :)!
At the end of the day, I'm really happy of that professional experience ... and I'm still alive with 10 fingers :)!
With modern vehicles, no need. Just call a tow truck and be prepared to pay. :twisted:
We should open a thread on OBD diagnostic and fixes. You can do a lot things with a very cheap OBD interface.
Obviously, it's for the insiders.
A few years ago, my wife's car had a problem with the turbo intercooler. We found later that the intercooler unit was cracked.
The effect was to suddenly put the engine in safe mode without preliminary notice.
It's really annoying to be restricted to drive below 60 km/h.
On a high way it's a bigger problem because you are not allowed to drive down to 70km/h

I suspected that there was a leakage problem (turbo pressure problem when needing power), so it was not an issue to simply reset the OBD defect.
Before changing the intercooler, I used to travel with my wife with an Android tablet and a OBDII interface :D .
I was s simple as to ask my wife to stop the car along the road, connect the OBDII plug and reset the alarm code.
Then continue our travel at normal speed :D ... until the next steep slope if she forgot not to push too much on the throttle pedal :D .

With the electronics, the main problem is the conversion of the mechanics to remote diagnostics to correctly diagnose the fault root cause.
They have to understand how the sensors are working and where they are located.
Once you know that, you still need to be a skilled mechanic, surely not an electronics enigneer.

That's the reason why we pay so much: they replace everything +/- related the alarm code.
That's a question of training. The situation has already improved.
Once, the mechanics in my garage asked me to find the origin of an intermittent fault myself :shock: .

No need to understand the electronics. The faulty unit will be swapped with a new one.
Only a correct diagnostic is important and that sometimes difficult as there so many sensors involved and in remote locations.

But that's another story far from the legend of the Huey :) :)!
serial 164794

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:54 am

:D I can only guess how many oxygen sensors have been replaced because the " check engine " light came on and the code was a bad oxygen sensor, only to end up with the real problem being a vacuum leak in the intake system. 8)
The Chevy truck I have now, I bought for salvage because the owner said it was beyond fixing. Turned out, he blew a tail light fuse, late one dark night. He replaced it with a spare. Turned out, after I bought the truck, he did not use a spare fuse. He pulled the fuse for the engine control module. I put a new fuse into the ECMII slot and the truck ran like Ferrari !
Maybe I should write a book myself.
I wonder if the head sticking out of the sand was on the beach at Vung Tau. That would be a short Huey flight from Long Bien.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

YLG80
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by YLG80 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:25 pm

Preserving Huey's
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=omZpdPcY0LY

I like the sound of that helicopter.
It should have been patented like the sound of an Harley engine
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MFP29TVUWYE

Yves
serial 164794

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:17 am

I live right on the flight path between Grissom Air Reserve base to the north and Indianapolis and the Indiana Air National Guard Base at Shelbyville, south on Indy. All sort of interesting aircraft fly over, including Hueys from the helicopter museum at Grissom. I can hear one coming from a long way out. That sound is burned into my head.
Also have a Cobra gun ship, an occasional Apache or two, a pair of Black Hawks, and once in a while, a pair of Sea Nights.
And then there are the A-10s.
I live in a great location. :D
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

MAVERICK

Post by MAVERICK » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:02 pm

Mark Jesic wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:23 am
Amazing story Yves, what would i give to go up in a Huey, but those circumstances well....... :o
my static project https://mag36-uk.org/

flying Huey rides in the UK www.huey.co.uk
Regards
Maverick,

Always looking for 155mm Howitzer parts, tools and general Artillery equipment from WW2, Korea and Vietnam.

"Artillery Brings Dignity to What Would Otherwise Be Just A Vulgar Brawl by the Infantry"

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:48 pm

While in Kabul, Afghanistan I got to see a Blackhawk and a Hind work over a tall, unfinished building in which several Taliban had barricaded themselves. The Taliban had been working us over with their RPGs and had repelled several half-hearted attempts by the Afghan Army guys to get them out of there. This was about 750-800 meters away from our position (RPG range is right around 900 meters). Well, those helicpoters just rolled right up into a hover and unloaded on the buildings, Hollywood style at point blank range, which was necessary because the area around the building was highly populated. Machine guns, rockets, the works. Quite a spectacle.

Somewhere, I've got photos of what was left of those fellas and I will add that most folks don't look much like bad hombres when they're finally all shot to pieces. C'est la guerre.

Cheers,
TJ

Wolfman
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Wolfman » Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:18 am

Bet that was something to watch.
Most of my entertainment came from Cobra & Huey Gunships.
Mike Wolford
CJ-2A
VEP GPW
Comm./Inst. SEL
AOPA ( 50 yrs)
EAA ( 49 yrs)

Return to “Warbirds - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY) and Knowledge Base”