Transfer Case Question #2

Tracked, Halftrack, etc... Military Vehicles, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: Kevin Lockwood

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Transfer Case Question #2

Post by mkoloc » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:37 am

I had initially asked about removing the transfer Case without dropping the Trany .. from a couple of responses it looks like that can be done. My issue with my transfer case is that the Hi-lo and Front axle drive shifts are frozen up. When I recovered the track from the desert in Africa, the Hi-Lo was locked into the hi range and the front axle was engaged. I removed the front drive shaft right off the bat in Africa so that the front axle would not be loaded up (torque) by the transfer case. In the years that I've had the track I have not had the time to work on it until now. Just completed all but the front loom wire harness, and am also going to get after the brakes (and install the new replacement track) as I've had the components in storage for years.

That being said I want to get my transfer case in order. I have not taken any aggressive attempts to free up the two shafts. Am wondering if others have run into this problem with their vehicles? I am tempted to take a soft hammer (copper or lead) to drive on the end of the shafts to see if I can loosen them up as both shafts are in their most extended state as they sit. I realize that these shafts drive sliders and thus the gears. Thinking that sitting for 50 plus years resulted in the forks being set in their current configuration. After some advise or any solutions others have applied with success. Worse case is pulling the TF case off. The trany works beautifully as does the winch take-off. Both move and shift smoothly.

Appreciate any insight!
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
Cell: 1.715.821.9426
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Re: Transfer Case Question #2

Post by G102 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:00 am

Last edited by G102 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Recon36th
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by Recon36th » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:58 am

I have to agree. I rebuilt my transfer case and my transmission a few years ago even though it seemed to drive and shift fine most of the time with the occasional hard shift which got a little more often. When I got the tranny out and apart the main shaft barring's had all fallen out and just grease and crud seemed to hold the gears together. You will be much better off in my option to pull, service and clean all components and reassemble it.

Matthew
M3A1 halftrack

yd328
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by yd328 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:15 pm

Mine were stuck and I had soaked them with penetrating oil for a while. I did start them moving by lightly tapping with a brass hammer and moving the levers back and forth until they reached full travel. Soaking them with each movement. I also pulled the lower pan to look inside, it was full of a lot of gunk. I ended up doing a rebuild. There was pitting everywhere.

Gary
MVPA Member
M2A1 Half Track ( Undergoing Resto)
M10 Ammo Trailer

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:24 am

Thanks gents ...going to start at the lowest level and work up to a full trany pull if I have too. Looking at the rear motor mount bolts, there just seems to be so little room to get at that cotter pin on the castle nut! Guess I'll figure it out if I have to.
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

yd328
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by yd328 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:50 am

Here's a picture of the tranfer case seperate from the transmission. It pulls straight back and just has to clear the gear on the transmission.

Gary
MVPA Member
M10 Ammo Trailer

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:19 pm

Appreciate the pics!! My leather shaft seals are still in place but are dried out so hopefully they will have protected my shafts a bit. Water leaking into the trany, transfer case etc. is not really an issue in my case due to the environmentally dry conditions my track sat in for all those years. But I agree that those seals etc. will need to be replaced when I pull the TC.

Gary H., whose minding the store now that your retired and how are they contacted regards ordering parts?

Thanks,
Mark
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

G102
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by G102 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:04 am

Last edited by G102 on Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:33 am

Thank you Gary.
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:35 pm

After the input I received and going thru the manuals, I decided to pull my T case (TC) this weekend and free up my hi/low and front wheel drive slides without pulling the transmission, PTO etc. After dropping the heavy duty frame cross member and pulling all those 76 year old cotter pins out of the 16 drive shaft mounting bolts, I pulled my driveshaft and emergency brake disk (I had pulled the front driveshaft years ago when recovering the Queen from the desert as the track was locked into 4 wheel high). I then pulled the emergency brake (I need new shoe linings!), the linkage for the winch PTO from the side of the case, and both shift lever cotter pins and clevis pins (The ones on the shift levers were relatively clean and I was able to get at the cotter pins….rear pins on the slides were a bit frozen up).

I was set to pull my TC. Pulling the plug and the pan draining the gear oil was a pleasant surprise as it was as clean and Carmel colored as the day it was pumped into the trany. No burned odor or water. The inside of the case and the gears were as clean and shiny as the day they were manufactured NO PITTING. There were no metal chips on the drain plug magnet. There are seven external bolts that mate the TC to the trany and two internal bolts with wire that bolt the bottom of the TC to the trany. In addition there are two bolts from the top driveline support that bot into the top of the TC.

Once the case was out it was fairly easy to work the slides loose after pulling off what remained of the boots that once covered the slide at the TC and the sticky clevis pins. I was able to polish up both slides and in a very short time they were moving smoothly and with a solid clunk as the forks moved gears inside the case into their respective locations. I made a new gasket for the mating surface of the TC where it mates with the trany and then proceeded to put everything back together again. I picked up a trany jack from harbor freight which came in very handy for install and removal of the TC. It was nice to finally put the front driveshaft back into place after all these years. The levers shift very smoothly and I need to now source some new boots for the shafts, and a set of emergency brake shoes.

I managed to clean up my emergency brake mechanism to include all the adjustment screws/bolts before reassembly. The brake mechanism moves very nicely. I also installed a new speedo cable that I had purchased years ago and found in one of the many parts boxes I was finally able to go thru. Lots of stuff found that I’ve not seen since 2007.

Next project is the generator and Voltage regulator and install of the front wire harness. Then the brakes!!

LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

yd328
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by yd328 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:35 pm

That's incredible.Talk about a nice surprise. Glad to see that it worked out.

Gary
MVPA Member
M10 Ammo Trailer

8683jb
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by 8683jb » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 pm

That looks beautiful inside, Mark! Great job. Feels good to get that behind you, I bet.
'42 Autocar M2A1 Half-track
'41 G518 Nash Kelvinator Ben Hur Trailer

MVPA member

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:48 pm

It feels great to have that operational after all these years, but after installing my rebuilt generator etc today and starting the beast, I was unable to get my shift lever to move. It seems to be locked in 3rd gear. Not sure if or what the correlation is between the TC coming out and going back in and the shift lever now being locked up, but I plan to pull my shift tower and take a look tomorrow.

I started in on my brakes today with pulling the master cylinder and hydrovac. Surprisingly both still had brake fluid in them when I pulled the lines between the units. Hope that bodes well for my brake job.
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

mkoloc
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by mkoloc » Thu May 09, 2019 7:15 pm

I mentioned that after installing my transfer case my track gear shift seemed to be stuck!! So after pulling my shift tower I found that the linkage for my 3rd and 4th gears was locked up tight. Tore down the shifter and it seems that I might have an issue with the ball bearings that control the shift rods. Am going to go through the tower, clean and reassemble the linkage after a thorough inspection. I know it's not the trany as I can manually shift all the gears by sliding them into position ...the only one that threw me off a bit was reverse. I could easily slide the reverse lever into position and observe the change in direction of the main shaft. But the track would not move. After examining the shift tower, I noted that the first gear engages when the reverse gear detent is pushed in and the shifter moved to reverse position. Broke out the drivetrain manual and it confirms that the 1st gear does engage when the trany is put into reverse as this gear actually drives the track in reverse. Lots of other interesting reading regards the transfer case setup, hi and low range and the safeties built in with regard to front wheel drive. Fascinating design regards the trany and transfer case and a lot more complicated than any Jeep, or M37 I've had more experience with!
LTC Mark Koloc USA (RET)
MVPA Member # 31144
1631 Bitter Creek Lane
Batavia, OH 45103
mkoloc44@yahoo.com

Return to “Tracked”