Spring Cleaning on my M274A5

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Makincold
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Spring Cleaning on my M274A5

Post by Makincold » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:06 am

So the mule has been sitting a year or more without any love from me...

So this weekend it finally stopped raining in Georgia… and I decided to get it running so I could put her up for sale
Needed a new battery, done
Had been having issues cranking reliably and honestly that's part of why it sat so long, didn't really have the motivation to track down the issue
Turns out it was simply corrosion on the ignition switch contacts, a wire brush and contact cleaner and as always it fired right up
Put in some fresh gas and new Stabil and rode around the farm for about 45 minutes
Gave her a bit of a wash with the hose and took a few pictures
Still needs a little work, I have a torn boot on the left front, I think the seal is leaking on that wheel too. Where the drive shaft goes into the rear differential that seal is leaking, need to work on that and I have a spin on oil filter assembly I need to install (only been about 5 years since I bought it...)
After all that I think I'll keep her a while longer!

But thought I'd just share a few pics and a short story of my Saturday afternoon
And the first pic I ever took the day i brought it home

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Spring Cleaning on my M274A5

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:14 am

Looking good, now that you have done all the heavy lifting it is time to enjoy your mule.

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 am

Nice Baifield mule! While you are doing your spring cleaning, be sure to check under the engine shrouds for rat nests!
Looks like your registration number is 324694. Just checked my database and I don't have it listed, would appreciate it if you could post your serial number (1039?) and Delivery date (April 1968?). Also, does data plate say EMTEX Division? Thanks!

Makincold
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Makincold » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:27 am

Chuck W. wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:56 am
Nice Baifield mule! While you are doing your spring cleaning, be sure to check under the engine shrouds for rat nests!
Looks like your registration number is 324694. Just checked my database and I don't have it listed, would appreciate it if you could post your serial number (1039?) and Delivery date (April 1968?). Also, does data plate say EMTEX Division? Thanks!

Sure, where do i find what numbers you are looking for?
I'm pretty sure the data plate is a reproduction

No Rat nest, she is stored lovingly inside (but I checked anyway)

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks. The data plate is the only place the serial number was stamped. If your reproduction plate was not re-stamped, then you are out of luck. I am pretty positive your mule was built by EMTEX Division, and the serial number would be in the 1039X range, delivery date would be April, 1968. John Emery has the correct reproduction EMTEX data plate, if you want to make it right.
No Rat nest, she is stored lovingly inside
That does not mean a thing! The little rat bastards would build nests even if the mule was stored in your bedroom! :D

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:23 pm

That's what my A5 looked like on the left jug. The previous owner must have driven it that way because when I got it, that cyl didn't have much compression probably because of cooked rings.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:03 pm

What I find is the head runs so hot that the exhaust seat falls out and the valve stays open. The engine will run on one cylinder with little power and a funny sound. I saw a YouTube video of a mule in Costa Rica that sounded funny. I contacted the gentleman and sold him a cylinder head and assorted parts. He got it installed and now the mule runs great.

Heres the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNPiZCRRoDo
Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Swiss
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Swiss » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 am

I found a nasty nest on my first mule upon inspection after reading an earlier post on this site warning about the dirty rats! Thanks to all of you who keep this site up and running with valuable information.

markrdje
USMC Sergeant
USMC Sergeant

Post by markrdje » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:39 am

I've found acorn nuts? twice in the air cleaner, so I'll look again asap, if so I guess I'll try putting a wire mesh over the air horn?, I better look 1st to see if I know what I am talking about
change user name to mark

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Chuck W. » Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:31 pm

If you don't think rat pee is corrosive, check this out:

Return to “Mule M274”