Air filter cleaning question

M274 Mechanical Mule Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Air filter cleaning question

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:58 am

Has anyone tried dipping the factory air filter in an ultrasonic cleaner and what were the results. They work fine on carburetors and I was thinking of trying one with 409 cleaner and water. Any ideas?

Chuck W.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Air filter cleaning question

Post by Chuck W. » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:23 pm

Years ago, in another life, we tried sending Cat engine air cleaners out to a company who used a chemical wet bath to clean filters. If I recall, the paper media did not hold up too well after the 2nd or third cleaning and the life was considerably less than new ones. The cost savings for a cleaned filter was nothing compared to an engine rebuild due to dirt entry. We never tried cleaning the inner safety element. But that's been a long time ago and maybe the process has improved....and the AO-42 does not use near the air that a 3412 engine does!

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:20 pm

Does the mule use paper media in its filter? It looks like something other than paper.

muleman7
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by muleman7 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:11 am

I now use an after market filter that fits and are readily available. Since New NOS filters are very expensive.

In the past I used a pressure washer and placed the original filter on a pipe to allow it to spin while washing. I was careful not to get so close to damage the filter. It worked well. The element must be some type or cotton or fiber as it does not appear to be paper.

Instructions for Cleaning per Decal

After Market Filter Instructions for modification and brands follow link for Post.

viewtopic.php?f=148&t=264977

Mules are my passion
www.m274armymules.com

Auto Shop teacher
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Auto Shop teacher » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Thanks for the photos and reply Charles. I have read the cleaning instructions and though I would take cleaning one step farther using the ultrasonic cleaner and a 409 water based cleaner. Conventional paper air filters would turn into a spit wad if cleaned that way.

Return to “Mule M274”