Generator Popularity Question...

Knowledge Base NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Generator Popularity Question...

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:45 am

I would like to get some opinions from Genny Enthusiasts. Are we who like gen-sets, a group within a greater crowd? The reason I ask is that I purchased an E-3 Gen. last year and ended up not needing it. I tried to sell it for less than I paid, but due to a lack of interest I donated it to a museum. I have since come to regret that decision as the museum's ONLY mechanic will be deployed in 20 days and the generator will just sit there outside and continue to rot back into the elements.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Generator Popularity Question...

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:37 am

An Opinion:
As a genset goes, it's outdated, i.e. you get better fuel efficiency and cleaner power from the modern inverter types out there sold locally, especially important with Sine wave production for protecting your electronics.

As a donar engine for a jeep...it requires some work (manifolds, flywheels, pulleys starter), grinding away the cast iron web casting in upper areas to match (never exact) to become the useful engine in a powerplant that goes up and down on RPMs.

To museum, it's floor space, and unless they have plenty (never) it's a toe stub device unless wheel mounted. Just no glamour in it when a jeep could be sitting in about the same space. Only a dedicated diorama of a rear echelon space would need to have it for a show piece.

To a engine collector...it's meh...another 4 cylinder...no smoke and flywheels, so it better have a useful purpose to be taking up the yard...then see #1 about efficiency.

I have one that has the generator portion removed, I almost scrapped it till I saw the engine under the hood and recognized it for a spare for one of the many jeeps we have here (I currently run a 1960's Hobart (willys) engine in my GPW..wish I had a GPW engine, but wishing never produces things unless there is money involved.) :(

Sorry you feel the museum will not 'need' it for display, you could always ask what their intentions are and possibly get it back if they are 'done' with it's display purpose or see it as another piece of real estate. You have a better chance at reacquiring it than anyone else with interest, until they decide it's out of the museums system to the scrap yard or such...

Remember there is a collector for everything, some even collect used toilet paper (yeah :shock: :shock: :shock: ..ugh)
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 pm

E3 engine doesn't fit in a jeep, way too small. Thats a herculese engine I think in there.
Hand crank start, go out in 0 degree weather and hand crank it.

I had 3 of these, took years to sell off one for $400 that ran, nobody had interest in the others. Over time they froze up and the mice moved in. Unless somebody really wants one they are worth $.07 a pound. Nobody even wanted the parts.

I use a N-15 for long term back up power, it will run the stove, water heater, water pump, clothes dryer, welder and electric heat all at the same time, and if your jeep engine fails, pretty much a direct swap.
For intermittant power outages, get a small honda, they run forever.

Adam

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:11 pm

Sorry for the genset confusion there.

Honda story:
Bradley Fighting Vehicle fielding training at a target range Fort Stewart, Ga. Dec 7th, 1988. Out of 12 Honda gensets to run our target lift devices only ONE started...they had sat in the cold all night, ran fine the day before...guess it was "The Anniversary" ghost talking to us.
I know they improved significantly since then.
V/R W. Winget

krisinwa.st.
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by krisinwa.st. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:22 am

W. Winget wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:37 am
An Opinion:
As a genset goes, it's outdated, i.e. you get better fuel efficiency and cleaner power from the modern inverter types out there sold locally, especially important with Sine wave production for protecting your electronics.

I have a PE-95-K gen set that will be running soon , all I know about it is that it makes power ,
is there any way to use it as back up power thru a properly installed trasfer set up for the
house , seems like most things these days are very senistive to power fluctuation

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:23 am

I dont have a K unit anymore however look at the genset manual, From a g manual, K was similar,
with your genset set to 1800 rpm or 60hz output
OCV at no load is 252 to 236 vac.when jumpers are set to 240volts, thats still 126 to 118vac.

Your house power is around 208 vac, depending on your supplier,

I dont like + or - 10 % for electronics,
My tv and computer are on UBS systems, they go to fault when running on a big genset, my small honda puts out 110 and everything runs fine.
resistive equip works fine, hot water heater, stove, standard light bulbs. Motors will work, yet they are still operating on overvoltage.

Problems I have found dealing with gas gensets,

gas goes bad, so you need to use stabalizer for ethanol
points corrode, manual says to run the genset every month, will you?
batteries go dead, keep a charger on them.
some people convert to propane, and electronic ignitions, you will need a really big tank for extended periods or power outages,

My advice, even I dont follow it, buy a new diesel genset made to power your house if your house really must be powered. I use a N-15, same issues, however if it dont start I have a self contained 30 amp unit on my travel trailer just yards away.

Adam

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:27 am

My thoughts on clean power:
Buy an old (or multiple) APC units, the larger the better. If the batteries are dead, replace them if you can with whatever battery fits the voltage (usually 12V Gel packs, but no reason they couldn't be 12V wet cells) it would still have capability of filtering the power (In) to the power (out) giving your old genset a nice clean filtered output.
I bought super heavy one from Govt Surplus years ago to try this out, haven't got around to needing it, the smaller office models (that get tossed for newer fresh battery one's) may be on e-bay or craigslist or computer repair stores?
just my thoughts on it.
V/R W Winget

krisinwa.st.
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by krisinwa.st. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:08 am

Guys ,thanks for the detailed information , my first thoughts were to use real
gasoline ( we have a local distributor here that carries it ) in the on board tank
and use " regular gas " in an aux. tank for extened runs then switch back to the
on board tank at the end of the run .
Guess the only way to controll output voltage is with RPM , was wondering if
there is some kind of a voltage controller / surge protector that could be put
inline after the generator and before the switch gear to the house ?

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Guys, Guys, Guys.......... Thank you for the input, but its' focus is headed in a different direction. I should have specified that the little generator I made reference to WAS FOR HOBBY AND COLLECTING REASONS ONLY, and not to help power the homestead and store.
Indirectly, you guys have answered my question with the answer that only newer modern gennys are viable for modern day use. I have a P.E. 75 that I restored in 2011 that runs very well and produces very clean electricity. BUT I only run it every so often to keep it operating. Is it thirsty?, heck yeah!! Could I use it in a pinch? Yes, however the municipal supply is very reliable too. More opinions on this topic are still welcomed. :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

Greencom
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Greencom » Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:44 pm

As a collector of WWII equipment I love those old gennys. I have a PU-58, looks almost exactly like a PE-95, puts out only 5KW and weighs almost 1700 lbs, outdated, yes, but to me it's a thing of beauty and I'm really intrigued at the technology of the era, it's got both automatic and manual AC voltage regulation with automatic engine shutdown if oil pressure or temp gets out of spec, all with no electronics, just relays and switches. It's very quiet and runs at a leisurely 1200 RPM. Practical, not really but neither are my WWII radios or my '42 Willys, I enjoy them. Selling a generator is a problem because only a tiny part of the population wants them and would buy them if they were local, that's why Craigslist and local ads won't work, shipping is a deal killer.
Here's one on Youtube (not mine)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ8GashDPEs

Return to “Willys Go Devil Engine Based GENERATOR SETS and COMPRESSORS(Includes Hobart Bros. & other GenSets)”