Front Hubs

1959 - 1962, Mighty Mite, M422, Wanted, USED PARTS FOR SALE, and Knowledge Base
EvilleMark
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant
Front Hubs

Post by EvilleMark » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:06 am

Hi Everyone, I am in the process of redoing the front hubs on the mm. I was planning on putting in new bushings and king pins. I have the lower pins but can’t source the upper pins. I have tried all the normal venders. Can anybody help with this? Any advice on rebuilding the front hubs would be greatly appreciated.

Mark in Evansville, IN

lj nettles
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Re: Front Hubs

Post by lj nettles » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:16 am

Mark I am working on my M422 front swing arm and hubs. I post pictures on my picture site www.imageevent.com/leonardnettles. The site is open so you do not need a password. There are pictures that will help your effort.

Leonard

EvilleMark
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by EvilleMark » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks so much Leonard, that is very helpful. Now I just need to find the top pins and 2 additional rubber seals. I have NOS lower pins and the bushings. All the work that you have done is inspirational. Your pics will definitely help me out.
Mark in Evansville

Radar4xfour
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Radar4xfour » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:33 pm

For the upper and lower seal you can use an o-ring / quad o-ring / X o-ring. Sorry I do not have a specific size to provide. A decent hardware store, hydraulic shop or equipment house (ie Caterpillar dealer) will have what you need.

Regards,

Radar

mspeters
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by mspeters » Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:43 pm

Mark,

One of my rigs had a work-around to salvage the steering pins that may work if you can’t locate NOS top pins. The prior owners had turned down the OD on the pins to clean up scoring (only on the bushing area); and then used bronze bushings to match. I did replace all the pins with NOS parts.

I have a couple extra sets of 841 bronze bushings for the steering pins; they are hone to fit.
Also, early 80s Harley crank pin nuts fit perfectly as the jam nut for the top steer pin; it’s a 1-20 UNEF thread.

Mark

EvilleMark
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by EvilleMark » Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:59 pm

Thanks Mark
I will probably just do that. The pins are not all that worn. They measure between .9410 and .9390. I do have some bushings I got from Bensinger. Hopefully the are the right material.

Mark

lj nettles
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by lj nettles » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:59 am

Mark as information, the pin bushings in my M422 were steel not bronz. I don’t know it they are different on the M422A1. Since the bottom on the pin bores are sealed it is difficult to get the bushings out. I read or heard that you remove them by packing grease in the bore then use a dowlwith a tight fit to push the grease down thus hydraulic the bushing out of the bore. Did not work for me so I tack welded a bolt on to the top of the bushings then pulled them out. Since the bore bottoms are sealed you cannot line bore the bushings so it is best to take hubs to a machine shop to fit the pins to the new bushings. You are looking for .003 inches of clearance around the pin so the grease can lube the pin. I did replace my bushings with the hardest bronze material I could find. The OD on new pins is .945. Has anyone had success using the grease method to remove the bushings? It makes sense but just didn’t work for me.

EvilleMark
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by EvilleMark » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:39 pm

Everybody, i found upper pins so I am good. Unfortunately the bottom pins are bad and I can’t find any at the normal vendors. The ones I have are not usable. If anybody has a source I would appreciate a lead. I may need to have them made.

Mark

Return to “M422 Mighty Mite”