Ford GPW spring shackle brackets

1941 - 1945, MB, GPW Technical questions and discussions, regarding anything related to the WWII jeep.
fireguyfire
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Ford GPW spring shackle brackets

Post by fireguyfire » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 pm

Just finished fully disassembling the frame on my 43 GPW; good thing I did as I found tons of hidden cracks and rot.
When I removed the spring shackle brackets off of the frame they were riveted, as well as welded to the frame. Is this factory correct?
My suspension has tons of Bubba mods and upgrades so I’m not sure if the welding was done later to beef up the brackets, or was original.
Unfortunately only half of my brackets will be re usable as some have quite oblong holes now and I’m guessing I shouldn’t reuse them; too bad as they are nice F script marked brackets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

artificer
banned

Re: Ford GPW spring shackle brackets

Post by artificer » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:00 am

Fill weld & bore as we used to do when no parts were available in the system.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:39 am

The MB/GPW used the same Spring Brackets, The Pivot Brackets are Willys A-500, and the ones for the shackles are A-544.
They were Riveted with two 1" long tack welds on either side. The replacments (availible from Ron Fitzpatrick) are predrilled to match the original frame holes. If you cannot Rivet, you can use 3/8" NF x 1" Grade 8 bolts (no lockwashers) and tack weld the nuts.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:06 am

fireguyfire wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:07 pm
Just finished fully disassembling the frame on my 43 GPW; good thing I did as I found tons of hidden cracks and rot.
When I removed the spring shackle brackets off of the frame they were riveted, as well as welded to the frame. Is this factory correct?
My suspension has tons of Bubba mods and upgrades so I’m not sure if the welding was done later to beef up the brackets, or was original.
Unfortunately only half of my brackets will be re usable as some have quite oblong holes now and I’m guessing I shouldn’t reuse them; too bad as they are nice F script marked brackets.

I think I have a set of original brackets at the cabin, I'll have a look tomorrow to see if they're in a good shape. If they are and its easier for you to swap these in than to fix yours, just pay shipping and they're yours. (I believe you're in Canada?)

I'll keep you informed.
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

fireguyfire
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by fireguyfire » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:19 am

Excellent Boyso; keep me posted!

fireguyfire
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by fireguyfire » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Got the hole location info I needed; brings up one more question as I am trying to be as authentic as possible in my restoration.
We’re the front bumper breaker welded as well as riveted to the frame, and if so how long and where were the welds?(so I can replicate them)

Old Pal
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Pal » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:13 pm

They were welded. I’ll take some pics and some measurements of my originals.

fireguyfire
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by fireguyfire » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Thanks old Pal; I appreciate it!

Return to “MB GPW Technical Knowledge Base”