Modifications by service branch
Dwight V
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

LST Jeep use

Post by Dwight V » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:07 pm

Hi folks,
My dad served aboard LST 1046 during WWII
I was wondering if there is any knowledge of a Jeep being assigned to an LST, or photos of any that were ?
I wanted to do my 42 MB as a Navy Jeep, as a tribute to my dad.

Thanks, Dwight

Mark Tombleson
MZ Radio Operator

Re: LST Jeep use

Post by Mark Tombleson » Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:55 pm

Hi Dwight, let us explore the possibilities. :D

Not sure how much you know about Landing Ship, Tank, but here is a file photo showing jeeps loading...

And here is the Specification page on your father's LST...

http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/16/161046.htm

It does not list a jeep assigned to it but one of those LST hauled a lot of equipment, material and troops, as well as the crew.

It also was not in service until very late in the war and served a very short time after the war.

From here... http://www.historycentral.com/navy/patrol/32.html

LST-1046 LST-1046 was laid down on 31 December 1944 at Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corp.; launched on 10 February 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Florence M. Teepe; and commissioned on 28 March 1945, Lt. R. P. McGhie in command. Following World War II, LST-1046 performed occupation duty in the Far East and saw service in China until early April 1946. She returned to the United States and was decommissioned on 27 June 1946 and struck from the Navy list on 31 July that same year. The ship was sold to Consolidated Builders, Inc., Seattle, Wash., on 25 September 1947 for scrapping.

So, if you are asking if a 1942 MB sat on her deck? The answer is it may have been possible but not very probable.

This should not stop you from restoring your MB the way you want.

Here is what I said on another thread.
Mark Tombleson wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:26 am
I’m not going to comment on the M38 or its condition… but I’m going to disagree on jeeps serving on ships. There have been several threads with photos of carriers and other ships with jeeps stationed on them.

One MB I know of served on the USS Prairie

http://www.ussprairie.com/

The jeep was judged at the convention on the USS Hornet in Alameda. I saw photographic evidence and some other documentation that it served on the Prairie.

So, you can argue about the way the jeep is displayed, but please… don’t go speculating about its use.

Oh, most of the time the ships name is on the windshield skin. I agree that Shore Patrol is a poor choice for the name of a jeep that is portrayed as being on ship!
http://g503.com/forums/posting.php?mode ... 5&p=352954

How about we continue with some photos of your jeep as it is now?
MB-NAVY-MZ-1 352625 - 07/20/44 (DOD est.)
U.S.N. 133818
2nd place Restored Class 2008 Portland Convention
MVPA Hall of Fame - 2013

Dwight V
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Dwight V » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Hi Mark, Thanks for the information.
I have done a bit of research on my dads ship, and have a photo of it's launching from the Dravo ship building facility. I have a few photos of him aboard ship too. I've taken a tour of LST 325, in Evansville, IN., just to get an idea of what it was like aboard ship.
I really didn't think that they had a Jeep assigned to them, being mainly a vehicle & troop transport ship, but I was just wondering if it might be possible.
My MB is a project, missing most of it's running gear, except for front & rear axle assembly, and quite a few other parts. I've been buying parts for a while, and have picked up several of the missing items.
I'm pretty sure my MB was never used by the navy, I picked it up in OK., but thought it would be a nice tribute to my dad to do it as a navy jeep.

Thanks again !

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Sun Nov 05, 2017 11:00 am

An interesting side bar to your posts. Any ships built on the inland waterways of the US, how were they transported to the ocean? Did they go down the Ohio River? Did any go through the Erie Canal? Probably they were too big for that? They made submarines in Manitowoc Wisconsin and these were floated thru the Chicago River and down the Mississippi to join the fleet. Best wishes; Leo
PS' I have GPW 70239 which came with a USN data plate affixed to the driver side above the outboard step and above the shovel bracket. It reads;
U S NAVY
BU. ORD.
CON. NOd. 1625
F. SER. NO.
F223A

Some one on the G has GPW 70219 which also had Navy jeep pedigree.

Dwight V
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Dwight V » Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:08 pm

I wondered about that too.
Dad said they went from Pittsburgh to the Gulf of Mexico, by the Ohio & Mississippi Rivers.
Wish I could get more information from him, but he passed away in 2012
I do have several photos of him aboard ship, and on islands in the South Pacific, also have his diary that he kept while he was in the Navy

Return to “Jeeps used by: USMC, USN, USCG (-NO EBAY-CRAIGSLIST-COMMERCIAL SALES-)”