Found another Chevy

Military Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Found another Chevy

Post by kelley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:26 am

Hi Paul,
Here's the bolts...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-13-1-2-13-g ... 4902.l9144
The cover was on the cracked case that came out of my 4/42 truck. There were a couple of other variations that might interest you, In the bearing retainer for the main shaft extension there's a removable alignment ring/spacer to allow access to the outboard bearing that supports the E brake drum. In the 3 cases I dismantled the ring was different in all 3. My '42 case had a cast ring complete with part #, indexing pin and oil dam. The ring from the Vermont case had a brazed on dam, no P/N or indexing pin. The 3rd on has a plain ring, no oil dam, P/N or indexing pin.
More pics.... :P
Here's the backside of the bearing retainer, the one on the right has the indexing pin, the one on the left does not and was installed upside down.
back side of bearing retainer.jpg
back side of bearing retainer.jpg (103.2 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
This is the ring with no oil dam and no pin or part # (I'm calling it an oil dam, not really sure why else it would be there).
Alignment ring.jpg
Alignment ring.jpg (79.72 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Here's the brazed in one...
Brazed ring.jpg
Brazed ring.jpg (139.96 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
Here's both sides of my super cool ring with P/N, oil dam and indexing pin :D
ring with pin.jpg
ring with pin.jpg (119.5 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
pin side.jpg
pin side.jpg (90.85 KiB) Viewed 2424 times
I feel like I'm in the T case O/haul buisness everthings coverd with gear oil and permatex sealant. You might also be interested to know that the street elbow that i used to increase the oil capacity came all the way from China, we can't even make our own pipe fittings any more. :x
Kelley

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:34 am

John, thanks for the tutorial on the main input shaft area. It and the speedo drive always gave me cause for concern after I removed and inspected my 1st. T-case back in 1997. The mounting bolts had been spot welded to T-case mounts. I drove the truck to a local welding shop to have the welds cut with a torch. I then drove it back home and dropped the "case". The bolts did not have shanks, they were not drilled for safety wire and the little plates to prevent turning were not there either.
Thanks for the link for the "Ebay" bolts too. I ordered a set for when I get to that parts of my build.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:16 pm

Hey Dave,
The shaft with the speedometer drive has a pin sticking out of it that rides in a slot that is cut in the bore of the idler gear, that's what makes the speedo gear turn. On that particular shaft from my '42 the pin was worn off flush with the shaft with only a slight shadow remaining to mark the location. The same shaft from the Vermont truck only had small nub sticking up, it also had some rust where it should'nt. Long story short, My '42 wont have a functioning speedometer. The other case had a nearly complete pin (not perfect) sticking out of the shaft and will have a functioning speedo. I wish I had more pics to illustrate this, my hands were too darn greasy to use the phone.
To address the 8 mounting bolts, they should have shanks and holes for wire. If time and money were not an issue I would purchase Lawton Grade 9 bolts https://www.mcmaster.com/#grade-9-steel-bolts/=18xfk1i, 1/2''-13 x 2'' long (+/- 1-1/4'' threads, +/-3/4'' of shank. I would then have the threads cut longer so that only 1/2'' of shank remained and then cut the bolts off at 1-1/4'' length. The Lawton bolts have a taller head much more similar to the original ones and are super tough. The Grip of the bolt needs to be 3/8'' for the crossmember/hangar and 1/8'' for the lock washer.
I really enjoyed going thru these things and may dig into my 2 remaining cases this winter, it's always good to have spares.
Kelley

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:34 am

Hey Jon,

I found an old image of that same retainer ring on the top gear shaft. They are all different from yours...I wonder how many different styles exist? The cast version does look like the most sophisticated version, do you recall which year truck that had that one? I believe the gear oil dam was a remedy for oil starvation issues in that top bearing.

Also, I found an image of the t-case mounting bolts/locking plates that I recovered from a couple of disassembled t-cases.

I think a probable cause of the bolts getting worn may have to do with an issue inherent with installation of the locking plates when the bolts are loosened to meet the ridges on the lock plate. The looser (and we are talking about 10-15 degrees loosened, perhaps even less) allow the bolt to wallow against the t-case cross member.

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm

That fancy ring was in my 4/42 Cargo truck, There was probably concern that the bearing inside the retainer would be starved for oil and over time they figured out it wasn't needed.
Those bolts and retainers of yours are in great shape, mine were pretty rotten, a couple might still be usable if you want them.
Kelley

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:19 pm

A couple of years ago I was given this BIG Wilton bullet vice, The catch was that it was completely seized from being left out in the weather and the swivel base was long gone. After going toe to toe with this thing for a few hours I finally managed to free it up :D .
Wilton Vice-2.jpg
Wilton Vice-2.jpg (86.69 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
A nice big vice like this needs to be mounted to something in order to be useful so I thought it would look nice on the back of my '45 Chevy. The bed height on my truck is 48'' so the top of the jaws would end up being around 56'' off the ground which is way too high. The solution that worked for me was to build a stow able mount that attached to the 4- 5/8'' bolts that fasten the Bumperette to the side of the frame.
Wilton Vice-1.jpg
Wilton Vice-1.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
In the "Deployed" position the vice hangs off the back of the truck and is held in place by a Lynch pin, in the Stowed position it hides completely under the body, the Jaw height is 42''.
Wilton Vice-4.jpg
Wilton Vice-4.jpg (113.89 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Wilton Vice-7.jpg
Wilton Vice-7.jpg (111.63 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
Wilton Vice-9.jpg
Wilton Vice-9.jpg (110.08 KiB) Viewed 2281 times
This truck is slowly transforming into an "Old school" work truck.
Kelley

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:09 pm

Was there a work order on the added elbow to increase the oil level in the transfer case ? Thanks Warren Duchesne

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:43 am

No Documentation that I'm aware of, that tip was passed on to me by an M37 parts dealer. I felt a little extra gear oil was a good idea.
Kelley

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:27 pm

Quite a brilliant addition, I think. :)
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

motto
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by motto » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:32 pm

That is a very neat fabrication job on the vice mounting.
Nicely done.

David

forestry4evr
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by forestry4evr » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:54 am

Jon,

Cool retro addition to your truck. When completed, your G506 "welding/fabrication" truck will look like a vehicle would have when they were first surplused back in the early 1950's. Nice Wilton too, and for a great acquisition price...any idea on its age?

Paul
1941 G4112 Chevrolet with Hercules dump bed

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:22 pm

Thanks Guys,
Having spent lots of time working off the back of a truck I've always appreciated a vice back there.
I'm hoping to find the time to add a few more convenience/trade specific features to the back of this truck. Rest assured I won't be modifying the truck at all, just attaching to it.
I'm not sure how old the vice is Paul, but i can tell you that I bought 2 Wilton vices in the mid 1980's (pre Craigslist) and neither has any raised lettering, they both have/had decals.
Kelley

phillip.w.givens
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by phillip.w.givens » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:48 pm

Hey Jon
That's looks greats if we lived closer I would trade you a brand new oxy/acetylene hose reel that I just happen to have. I have the same type of vice at work except its missing the ring on the inside that allows it to open. keep up the great work and keep posting pictures.

Phillip
1942 chevy G506
1942 G7113 Tractor

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 pm

Unscrew the outer jaw of the vise. There is a square keyway/ Guide on the bottom of the cylindrical Body of the removable jaw assy. There will be a date stamped on the square key.

Roger

kelley
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by kelley » Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:35 am

rjbeamer wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:06 pm
Unscrew the outer jaw of the vise. There is a square keyway/ Guide on the bottom of the cylindrical Body of the removable jaw assy. There will be a date stamped on the square key.

Roger
Thanks for that information Roger,
Here's what I found on the 2 Mid 80's vices...
Vice build date 8-86.jpg
Vice build date 8-86.jpg (88.17 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
build date 1-86.jpg
build date 1-86.jpg (67.1 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
...And here's the one mounted on the Chevy...
Vice build date 18C.jpg
Vice build date 18C.jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
I'm not sure what 18C represents.

Hi Phillip,
If I lived closer I'm sure we could work out a deal on the hose reel, those things are great.

I mounted a front bunk and a welding machine yesterday.
Bunk and Welder install.jpg
Bunk and Welder install.jpg (83.83 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
The oldest engine driven machine I have is a late 80's Lincoln that weighs 2,200 lbs, It's just too big for this truck, so I went with this rusty 15 year old one instead. Old Machine just don't have enough 110 power to run modern tools.
Side view.jpg
Side view.jpg (111.77 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Bunk base.jpg
Bunk base.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Underside view.jpg
Underside view.jpg (85.76 KiB) Viewed 2148 times
Kelley

Return to “Trucks 1/2 ton thru 2 ton”