More (GOOD) Changes in Wisconsin!

Discussion of Local, State, and Federal issues regarding MV Legislation, MV use restrictions, MV registration refusals, etc. As these issues may ultimately affect other jurisdictions, information and education of all MV owners is crucial for the future ownership and use of our MVs.
This is not a board for Political discussion.
This is not a Q&A Forum on how to title or register a MV.
undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

More (GOOD) Changes in Wisconsin!

Post by undysworld » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:34 pm

To any Wisconsin owners:

In an effort to fully restore operating rights for former military vehicles here in Wisconsin, Tom Zat and I have been working to draft legislation again. We're pleased to report that drafting is finished, and we're now working towards passage by the Wisconsin Legislature. Click http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to view our current status, read the actual Bill text, our FAQs about what it does, and FAQ Details about why.

Previously, WisDOT had worked to restrict all former military vehicles to parades and car shows, because they lacked a FMVSS Certification Label. This Bill will exempt all former military vehicles from this requirement.

The vehicles still need to comply with all applicable Wisconsin and/or U.S.DOT equipment requirements, just like any civilian models do.

If you are a Wisconsin resident, I urge you to support this effort. ACT TODAY. Pass this along to any friends or relatives in Wisconsin and ask them to act too.

Thanks,
Paul (& Tom)
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1976 Steyr-Puch Pinzgauer 712M
M-416 Trailer (behind Pinzgauer)
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

D Pizzoferrato
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: More (GOOD) Changes in Wisconsin!

Post by D Pizzoferrato » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:22 am

Paul and Tom,

Appreciate your efforts in keeping this going forward. For the sake of all Wisconsin residents, and other copycat domino states, I hope you are successful in restoring the full use rights of ownership of historic MVs for all Wisconsin MV owners.
David Pizzoferrato
Pizzoferrato Ent./Weebee Webbing
Visit our Website! www.odcloth.com for your Canvas needs

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:25 am

We spent the past two days visiting 130 Legislator's offices. Interest is high.

Please do not relax. We need to PUSH HARD for passage of this Bill. CoSponsorship ends Monday.

Stay tuned for updates, and check our web page for specifics and the actual documents.

Thanks again for your involvement and support.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Info on Legislation at: http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:55 pm

undysworld wrote:We spent the past two days visiting 130 Legislator's offices. Interest is high.

Please do not relax. We need to PUSH HARD for passage of this Bill. CoSponsorship ends Monday.

Stay tuned for updates, and check our web page for specifics and the actual documents.

Thanks again for your involvement and support.

Hey Paul, could you please add the website to your signiture line for our convenience? I know it's in the first post, but for quick reference in the future it might be helpful for others. Thanx!

BTW, I e-mailed my legislator the day after the banquet. Thanks again for all you & Tom are doing!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 am

Jeff,

Done.

Thanks,
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:06 am

I am certainly happy to hear of progress for you guys, but I did not see where the vehicles can be titled and used in everyday use. Did I miss this, or is that still in limbo? That is....titling a M37 as a 3/4 ton truck and using and driving is as a "user" truck. Same with the 2 1/2 ton and others....title as truck, meet same safety standards, and use in everyday life. Just wondering?
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 am

ODG,

Yup, you missed it. We do not have such a provision in this year's bill.

But that's because we got that one passed last year!! With passage of last year's bill, we repealed the ban on most former military vehicles. With that, anything under 10K#, and the heavier ones '69 and older was okay to title for any use.

With passage of this year's bill, that exemption will now cover ALL former military vehicles of any size, and they will ALL be eligible for any licensing option, under the same requirements as any civilian vehicles.

This will essentially be the completion of our task.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Kevin Lockwood
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Kevin Lockwood » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:21 am

As usual Paul and the gang are doing super work and need to be commended by all in the antique vehicle community.
Thank You!
42 Ford GPW
42 Oshkosh AAF Snowblower
41 White M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M2A1 was M2 halftrack
42 Autocar M3-75 halftrack
42 White M4A1 was M4 halftrack
43 Diamond T M3A1 halftrack
43 White M16 was M13 halftrack
44 LVT-3 Landing Vehicle Tracked

Old Dodge Guy
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Old Dodge Guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:24 am

Thank you! Indeed I did miss that info. Very well done, and thank you from ALL old military vehicle owners.
Still crazy after all these years.
The OD bug bit me in 1970......and I have never been the same

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:28 am

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for being a little "awe, shucks" about it. Because I really took up the fight back in '07 over my own truck. Soon it became evident that it was the principal involved which needed defending. I just happened to be one stubborn S.O.B. in the right place at the right time. We've just proceeded to do what had to be done.

That said, it is gratifying to realize our work has also had a positive impact on others, and to have someone else say Thanks. To that, I say: You're most Welcome.

Cheers All,
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Good News! We ended up with 26 co-sponsors for the bill!

It'll now move to committees. Remember this takes several steps, and we need your help at each step!

To those who have helped so far, THANK YOU!! If you haven't, why not??

Stay tuned for info on what to do next...
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:12 am

NOW IS THE TIME!

We've all bitched about DMV causing problems for years. Now is your chance to do something to fix that.

Our bill has finally been introduced into the Legislature. It is now officially 2013 Senate Bill 110. We have a Senate Committee Hearing tentatively scheduled for April 11th.

We've worked for several years to achieve this level of cooperation with DOT. Lots of money has been spent to get this far. This is truly our only shot at this.

We need each and every Wisconsin citizen to take action now.

WHAT YOU CAN DO NOW (Only WISCONSIN citizens):

1) Sign up "IN FAVOR" of SB-110 Online.
Click https://docs.google.com/forms/d/18-2h66 ... form?pli=1 to register. You will be asked to provide your name, street, city, ZIP. This information will be provided to Sen. Grothman's office only. Your name will appear in the hearing record. Please only register one time.

2) Attend the Senate Hearing.
Attending the Hearing is your right. As a show of support, we would like to have a large group (perhaps 50-100 ideally) attend the hearing.

You have a right to speak. However due to time concerns, we would prefer that you simply register IN FAVOR and do not speak. You will be asked to silently make your support known by show of hand or standing up. By acting as a solid group, your silence will be more powerful than words.

Be prepared to spend the entire day at the Capitol. We will confirm the date and time of the hearing. But these hearing schedules are unpredictable, and frequently get delayed. If you take the day off to attend, you won't want to have to leave half-way through.

If you plan to attend, we'd appreciate having you RSVP via p.m. to get a rough head-count for planning purposes.

WHAT IS NEXT:

The Assembly may choose to hold it's own hearing. If so, we will notify you. The procedure is similar to what we've outlined above for the Senate.

Assuming both Senate and Assembly Transportation Committees pass the bill, it will then go before both full houses for a vote. When that happens, we need to push legislators to vote for it. We will keep you posted as it progresses, and advise you what to do.

Click http://www.alfaheaven.com/MilitarySecti ... Legis.html for: Background Info - Including Links to the actual Bill, FAQs, and Extra Details.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Hearing Delayed

Post by undysworld » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:52 am

Announced today: The Public Hearing, originally scheduled for April 11, has been delayed for a week. I'll post the new date asap.
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:26 pm

Things are moving, slowly but steadily. Here's the important news:

BILL NUMBER

Today the bill was assigned it's Assembly Bill number: AB-157. As I wrote previously, it already got a Senate Bill number: SB-110.

In all correspondence with your Senator and/or Assembly Rep. be sure you refer to it as SB-110 / AB-157.

HEARING DATES

The Senate hearing (orig. scheduled 4/11) has still not been re-scheduled. We expect it within the next couple weeks, but cannot confirm this. We anticipate very short notice of the hearing, perhaps only 24 hrs. This is less than ideal, because it will make it difficult for owners to attend the hearing, but we will send out an alert immediately.

With this AB number, the bill can now be scheduled for an Assembly hearing. We're working on getting that scheduled, and will keep you posted with details.

ONLINE SIGN-UP NUMBERS ARE "MIND-BLOWING"!

We are now over 600 strong registered in support of this bill, and Sen. Grothman's office says this number is "mind blowing". (Tom's been fretting some, because last year we had more. But with this news, he's relaxing a little. Remember, we had months to gather signatures last year.) There is support from every corner of the state.

So keep up your fantastic efforts! We want the whole Legislature to know that we're a big active group, when it comes time for them to vote for our bill. Let's keep blowing their minds, and make this happen!
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

undysworld
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by undysworld » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:22 pm

Senate Hearing is scheduled for Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 10:30am.
Anyone interested in attending and needing more info should contact me.
Paul
1966 AM-General M35A-2
1973 DeTomaso Pantera
1980 AMC Jeep CJ-5

Return to “Legislative Issues”