Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Zeph's '42 Ford GPW - (Restoration Started)

Post by thidisbogus » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:56 pm

Zeph,

I was charged 450 dollars to sandblast a Bantam trailer I purchased with the GPW, so unfortunately that sounds right. Sure is expensive for blowing sand or similar media through a gun from an air compressor :x

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:33 am

thidisbogus wrote:Zeph,

I was charged 450 dollars to sandblast a Bantam trailer I purchased with the GPW, so unfortunately that sounds right. Sure is expensive for blowing sand or similar media through a gun from an air compressor :x
I figured it is what it is. :| I was hoping that there would be a couple of places that did this type of work so I could shop around...I can only find one. Oh well, one is better than none! :)
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by chibobber » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Zeph,
Sounds weird but...If you have a local monument,headstone maker in your area they might do it for side money.
Used to take mc frames to them ,back in the day it was cheap. :wink:
Good luck
Bob

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:33 pm

chibobber wrote:Zeph,
Sounds weird but...If you have a local monument,headstone maker in your area they might do it for side money.
Used to take mc frames to them ,back in the day it was cheap. :wink:
Good luck
Bob
I'll check that out. Thanks...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:18 pm

Stripped the frame today. Removed the engine/trans/trans case as well as most everything with the exception of the leaf springs. I did loosen the bolts holding the leaf springs on the frame as well as the u-bolts holding the axles to the leafs. I figured it would be a good idea to loosen all the bolts while everthing is still attached.

I'm just not too sure how heavy the frame is, so I need to figure out a way to separate it and get it loaded onto my trailer by myself for delivery for sand blasting. I don't have anyone to help me out which slows me down sometimes. I also have a couple of questions about a few areas that I will post pictures of below.

Here's the stripped frame. With the exception of the front bumber area and the rear cross member and pintle brace, it really looks pretty good:

I had to cut a number of bolts. One is the bolt that holds the brake master cylinder to the little "bone" shaped braket riveted to the frame. The rear bolt went through the master cylinder from the interior and must have a captive bolt inside the bracket? It would only spin, so I had to cut it off leaving the piece/bolt/nut inside. The front bolt for the master cylinder came from the outside through the frame and into the master cylinder. Is that correct? I guess not since the bracket that bolts to the master cylinder that goes to the clutch pedal shaft didn't have any bolt. I'm thinking that both bolts should come from the center and go through the master cylinder and thread into some type of captive nut in the "bone" shaped bracket bolted to the frame? Is that right? The front hole of the master cylinder was threaded and the bolt came from the outside of the frame.

Also, the front part of the bracket that bolts to the master cylinder doesn't line up at all. Does this braket look correct? I don't see how I can get it to line up. This will be an issue in putting it back together.

Anyway, what does one do to fix the "bone" bracket that the brake master cylinder bolts to? Grind the rivets and weld some nuts on the inside and bolt back up? Any help here would be appreciated. Here are some photos.

Bracket not lined up at front of brake master cylinder. Hmmm...how to fix?:

Bone bracket and the left over bolt/nut left inside:

Last one. Can anyone tell me what these bolts are for? They are on the other side of where the master cylinder is bolted and I can't see what they may be holding inside the enclosed frame section:

I appreciate any input. Thank you...
Zeph

blitz67
G-Major
G-Major

Post by blitz67 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Zeph,
The frames are light, I moved mine several times by myself. Just stand in the center grab a rail with each hand and lift it up. Try to center yourself to balance it.

Brad

1943gpw wc53

Post by 1943gpw wc53 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:01 pm

I had a monument headstone maker do the sand blasting on my jeep so he could get some extra money, It seems very expensive at first but I have done allot of sand blasting myself and let me tell you its worth the money just to have it done especially in the summer when its Cooking lol!! I was charged $110 an hour to get my jeep sand blasted, In total to have everything done I was charged about $650 which was way worth it in my opinion... Anyway on your frame, depending how much grease and dirt are on it you should be able to pick it up yourself. Keep up the good work!!!

918jeeper
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 918jeeper » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:35 pm

Zeph you may want to check with your local MV club or classic vehicle club. They will usually have a reputable source for sandblasting. Plus you may find somebody in the club that does it and give you a discount. That's how I found the guy who blasted my tub and he gave me a great deal.

I would also degrease and pressure wash the frame and tub before bringing it to the sandblaster. They don't usually like dirty and greasy items to blast.

As far as the frame, they are light once everything is off. I just unbolted the leaf springs and lifted it off with an engine hoist.
1945 Willys MB

My Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

918jeeper
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by 918jeeper » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Okay starting from the very left; first bolt is the front fender tab attachment point. The hole below and slightly to the right is where the Torque Reaction Spring is attached. Next hole is where the steering box is attached. Next smaller hole is where the master cylinder is bolted. Not in the photo would be the rear fender tab attachment point, then the tub tab attachment point. The round stud on top of the frame rail is where the hole on the bottom of the toe board gusset lines up.

To answer your question about the bone bracket where you cut the bolt; It's totally different then the Willys design but I'm pretty sure that is a captive nut. Soak it real good with PB Blaster and use an easy out to get the broken bolt out.If its' just spinning inside, chances are you broke the captive nut while attempting to remove the bolt. Not sure how to fix that. Is there any way you can weld the captive nut from the outside then try to easy out the broken bolt? Hopefully somebody can chime in on that problem for you.

As far as the support bracket that attaches to the master cylinder and down to the clutch pedal shaft; that is attached by two bolts that screw into the side of the master cylinder. The one to the rear is attached by the bolt you had to cut, and the front one bolts to a threaded hole on the side of the master cylinder.

Hope that answers your questions.

1945 Willys MB

My Restoration Thread
viewtopic.php?f=96&t=132906" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

huskerjeep
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by huskerjeep » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:36 am

Like others have said...once you really clean the stripped down frame its not too difficult to move around. Once you get your hands positioned in the correct location to balance the frame while standing in the middle, you can carry it around. Its a little awkward but do-able. I just paid $150 at a local painting/blasting shop to get mine blasted only...not primed. Is your price including priming too?
Early March 1944 MB 313xxx

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:45 am

blitz67 wrote:Zeph,
The frames are light, I moved mine several times by myself. Just stand in the center grab a rail with each hand and lift it up. Try to center yourself to balance it.

Brad
That sounds great. I think I can handle that...
1943gpw wc53 wrote:I had a monument headstone maker do the sand blasting on my jeep so he could get some extra money, It seems very expensive at first but I have done allot of sand blasting myself and let me tell you its worth the money just to have it done especially in the summer when its Cooking lol!! I was charged $110 an hour to get my jeep sand blasted, In total to have everything done I was charged about $650 which was way worth it in my opinion... Anyway on your frame, depending how much grease and dirt are on it you should be able to pick it up yourself. Keep up the good work!!!
I will see what I can find out there. Thanks guys!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:45 am

918jeeper wrote:Okay starting from the very left; first bolt is the front fender tab attachment point. The hole below and slightly to the right is where the Torque Reaction Spring is attached. Next hole is where the steering box is attached. Next smaller hole is where the master cylinder is bolted. Not in the photo would be the rear fender tab attachment point, then the tub tab attachment point. The round stud on top of the frame rail is where the hole on the bottom of the toe board gusset lines up.

To answer your question about the bone bracket where you cut the bolt; It's totally different then the Willys design but I'm pretty sure that is a captive nut. Soak it real good with PB Blaster and use an easy out to get the broken bolt out.If its' just spinning inside, chances are you broke the captive nut while attempting to remove the bolt. Not sure how to fix that. Is there any way you can weld the captive nut from the outside then try to easy out the broken bolt? Hopefully somebody can chime in on that problem for you.

As far as the support bracket that attaches to the master cylinder and down to the clutch pedal shaft; that is attached by two bolts that screw into the side of the master cylinder. The one to the rear is attached by the bolt you had to cut, and the front one bolts to a threaded hole on the side of the master cylinder.

Hope that answers your questions.
Yes, that answers quite a bit for me. These two bolts were not removed or loosened by me. I bet that the tab for the fender was rotted off. The toe board or step's hat channel was also totally rotted out. I'll pull the bolts and save them for later. I don't have a torque reaction spring set-up on this '42 GPW. I think that it was an add on later in production...

On the bone bracket issue, I think I will be forced to grind the rivets and weld in a captive nut on the inside. I did a little research and think that the front hole of the brake master cylinder is in fact threaded and that one bolt does indeed come from the outside of the frame into the cylinder. I then think that a second bolt is used on the other side to hold the master cylinder to clutch pedal bracket. I figure I will need to bolt the bone bracket back onto the frame after I remove it and have added the captive nut unless someone else can come up with a suitable solution. Hmmm...mabe I can drill out the hole a little larger and slip in a nut and weld it from the outside? I just thought of that! I think that will work!

Thank you for the assistance!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:55 am

huskerjeep wrote:Like others have said...once you really clean the stripped down frame its not too difficult to move around. Once you get your hands positioned in the correct location to balance the frame while standing in the middle, you can carry it around. Its a little awkward but do-able. I just paid $150 at a local painting/blasting shop to get mine blasted only...not primed. Is your price including priming too?
Thanks for the information on the frame. That will be handy moving it around by myself.

No priming on the frame, the quote was for sand blasting only. Of course, one needs to remember that I am in California where the shop must comply with and pay a gazillion permit and inspection fees! :shock:

If one is in California and just the thought of sand blasting is mentioned, there most likely will be a permit fee for that as well! :)
Zeph

fotot8ker
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by fotot8ker » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:20 pm

Zeph,

Great photos of the Jeep tub rotisserie and of your restoration! Looks like what I went through when I took my Ford GPW appart! But how did you attach the rotisserie to the back of the tub? Can you take a photo of it? Also, how much steel did you have to add height wise to the rotisserie? Looks like a great rotisserie to make! I have two engine stands already, but not sure of the dimensions to add onto it for a rotisserie. Any help would be cool!
Respectfully,
Bryan I.
Coupeville, WA

GPW 103743 4/1/43 -Dallas, TX., USA 20365988 S
MB-T 22938 -Feb./Mar. 43', USA 0223127

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:49 pm

fotot8ker wrote:Zeph,

Great photos of the Jeep tub rotisserie and of your restoration! Looks like what I went through when I took my Ford GPW appart! But how did you attach the rotisserie to the back of the tub? Can you take a photo of it? Also, how much steel did you have to add height wise to the rotisserie? Looks like a great rotisserie to make! I have two engine stands already, but not sure of the dimensions to add onto it for a rotisserie. Any help would be cool!
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the kind compliments! I won't be home to take some better pictures of the rotisserie and show you how the tub is mounted until Wednesday evening. I should be able to post 'em that evening.

Regards,
Zeph

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”