Zeph's '42 Ford GPW

Create a thread to track the progress of you MB/GPW restoration progress. Previously a General Discussion board.
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Zepher's new(to me) '42 Ford GPW

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:01 am

Ronnie Guin wrote:Zephyr, I noticed the body tub to frame mounting spring and bolt in one of your pictures. I have heard those springs discussed on the G503 but have never seen one on a jeep before your picture. Can you take some more pictures of this spring and let us know how many are on this tub? Thanks for helping us with researching this topic!
Ronnie, I remember the guy I bought the GPW from pointed those out to me at some point when I was initially looking at it. I just assumed that they were typical on all GPWs of this era. Hmmm...now, if I think back correctly, he may have been telling me that they were somewhat rare...I could be wrong. I know he pointed them out to me for some reason.

When I get home from work later today, I will take some pictures and post them here...Zeph
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict

Post by Chuck Lutz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:12 pm

I think there are TWO....each one located where the transmission/transferczse crossmember is attached to the frame.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3-C 1947

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:35 pm

Here are some pictures of the spring bolts on my GPW. There are two and they are located one on each side of what I believe is the transmission crossmember:

Driver's side:

Passenger side:

Also, on a side note. I am very happy that I pulled off revealing my hood number this afternoon. I was really nervous that I would ruin it or that it would be sanded off years ago. Initially I was bummed because I was getting bare metal that I could tell had been sanded, however I moved up a little and began to see some blue paint. I know I have seen a couple of jeeps with blue paint, but I have no idea what significance this is yet. I was thinking white piant. Anyway, is there any information that can be gained from one's hood number? I now know my tub and frame are GPW23515 and that my hood number is: 20104134 in blue paint. Here are some photos of the just revealed hood number from my GPW:

Here are the first 4 digits:

Here are the last 4 digits:

If anyone can give any insight into the hood number, blue paint significance and information about the spring bolts; I would appreciate it.

Zeph
Last edited by zepher11 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeph

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:39 pm

Hood registration number sounds like the correct one for your GPW, so it's unlikely the hood was swapped out over the years. To find your original number is great, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information around to tell you where your GPW was used, best option is to look at every picture you see and try to find one of your GPW, you never know.

Have you looked for the numbers on the rear panel? They were located above the script "Ford" on the back of the GPW, you may also find markings or stars on your GPW, document any markings you find painted or stenciled since it's all a clue to it's history.
Old GPW.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:35 pm

OldGPW wrote:Hood registration number sounds like the correct one for your GPW, so it's unlikely the hood was swapped out over the years. To find your original number is great, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information around to tell you where your GPW was used, best option is to look at every picture you see and try to find one of your GPW, you never know.

Have you looked for the numbers on the rear panel? They were located above the script "Ford" on the back of the GPW, you may also find markings or stars on your GPW, document any markings you find painted or stenciled since it's all a clue to it's history.
Yes, I am excited that I found what appears to be the original hood number. I did find the hood number calculator and it came up with a number about 4,400 higher than what my actual number is. I don't know if that means anything.

It would be awesome to find a picture of my jeep from the past. Are the jeeps here in the USA typically jeeps that never went overseas?

I haven't looked for any numbers on the rear panel. I need to check there. I did notice just awhile ago that I think there is some more blue paint below my hood number. Were the hoods also marked U.S.A.? If they were, is the U.S.A. typically above or below the hood number? I'll hafta check that out tomorrow. If my hood numbers are blue, would there be a star on the hood as well? And, if so, would it be white or blue? I'm still interested in why my hood numbers are blue and not white like most I have seen.

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate it!

Zeph
Zeph

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:14 am

It's almost impossible to say how many or even which GPW/MB's went overseas, sometimes if unit markings are found it can tell you a little.

The number is in blue drab because that's how it was applied at the factory, for a GPW in your number range if it was in white paint it would have been a repaint, the blue drab was hard to see and many units repainted theirs using white paint. The USA should be above the number on the rear panel.

Stars are another matter, they were not painted on at the factory, as delivered they only had the registration numbers. When the vehicle was assigned/issued to a unit they would paint their markings on it along with the star, a white star and a star with a round background/and ring (commonly known as an "Invasion star") were probably the two most common variations to be found on US used vehicles. You may find a star painted above the script on the rear panel and stars on the sides by the rear grab handles. Since your hood still had the blue drab it's very likely that your hood still has a star that may have been painted at some time.

The front bumper and the rear bumperettes are where you may find unit markings.

You can send a message to Tom, but it appears to me that your number is correct.
Old GPW.

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:16 am

Hello Zeph,

Great Find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my GPW studies and databases, Hood number 20104135 should be the correct number for GPW 23515. You should also find a blue drab " S " on the side of the cowl about inline with the side of the hood.

The number you found is most likely not the original number but rather a repaint in blue drab. The original hood number would have been on the side of the hood in 2 inch tall by 7/16 inch thick numbers. The original U.S.A. should be about where the current numbers are now located.

Ronnie Guin
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ronnie Guin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:21 am

Zeph, as already said the blue drab is original factory paint, but was used on some repaints. I discovered on my GPW 2956 that it had been repainted twice while in service. I recovered the hood number three times. First was in white, then in blue located about where yours is, and finally in blue again located about one inch from the bottom of the hood. This was the factory location. Each time my numbers were the same.

You will find the first star about a inch and a half from the windshield on the cowl if it were painted per the book?

Take your time on the back and start on the side where the two is and get a feel for how much paint you will go through. I like to used paint stirpper and slowly go through the layers. I figure the back panel might have only one set of numbers, especially if a gas can was added to the back.

Thanks for the spring pictures!
Ronnie Guin
44 MB-T-12/44, 1943 FWD K38
GPW 2956 3/10/42 MB 126655 3/11/42
GPW 113491 5/4/43 Slat Grill 112038 1/14/42
MVPA

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:06 pm

Zeph, the numbers mentioned as being the in wrong position (being a re-stencil) are the set on the top in your photo.

The lower set that is hard to see is where the numbers would normally be, and where they would have been located when painted by the factory.

Tom, have you figured out which assembly plant it might have come from?
Old GPW.

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:07 pm

The photo that both numbers can be seen in is the first photo showing numbers posted below the spring photos.
Old GPW.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:48 pm

Tom wrote:Hello Zeph,

Great Find!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From my GPW studies and databases, Hood number 20104135 should be the correct number for GPW 23515. You should also find a blue drab " S " on the side of the cowl about inline with the side of the hood.

The number you found is most likely not the original number but rather a repaint in blue drab. The original hood number would have been on the side of the hood in 2 inch tall by 7/16 inch thick numbers. The original U.S.A. should be about where the current numbers are now located.
Thanks, Tom!

Ronnie Guin wrote:Zeph, as already said the blue drab is original factory paint, but was used on some repaints. I discovered on my GPW 2956 that it had been repainted twice while in service. I recovered the hood number three times. First was in white, then in blue located about where yours is, and finally in blue again located about one inch from the bottom of the hood. This was the factory location. Each time my numbers were the same.

You will find the first star about a inch and a half from the windshield on the cowl if it were painted per the book?

Take your time on the back and start on the side where the two is and get a feel for how much paint you will go through. I like to used paint stirpper and slowly go through the layers. I figure the back panel might have only one set of numbers, especially if a gas can was added to the back.

Thanks for the spring pictures!
Ronnie, thank you for the locations of the other numbers and stars. I hadda work again today, so I will hopefully get another crack at checking for them later this week.
OldGPW wrote:Zeph, the numbers mentioned as being the in wrong position (being a re-stencil) are the set on the top in your photo.

The lower set that is hard to see is where the numbers would normally be, and where they would have been located when painted by the factory.

Tom, have you figured out which assembly plant it might have come from?
OldGPW, you know, I didn't notice the other blue below my original discovery until late last night when I was looking at the picture again. I will try to get a better look at that as well. It almost appears that there is some white paint under there in spots as well. However, I know about the first inch or two has had a lot of sanding on the bare metal below the paint layers which doesn't look factory to me. I originally thought that the whole hood was sanded, but was happy to find what I have so far. I hope to have time this week to have another go at revealing additional details. Thanks again for everyones assistance!

Zeph
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:32 pm

Leaf spring question. I have purchased a couple of manuals and have been crawling all over and around my GPW pondering a full restoration. I am going to do it, and I can't wait to go to the event in Lodi next month to take pictures/learn/drool before I get started. I have also been spending time organinzing my small garage to handle the project.

I did have a question regarding the leaf springs on my GPW. I can see that the left rear corner is lower than the other three corners. In eyeballing it, it appears that the left rear leaf spring is not as arched as the right rear spring. It appears to be about 1 1/4" lower on the left rear. (I measured, but not sure how the best way to measure would be) Is it common for the springs to start to sag after all these years? What is the conventional wisdom on the G? Can the leaf springs be re-arched, or are new leaf springs the way to go? I don't know why this is a burning question for me at the moment, but everytime I go out in the garge and see my GPW sagging, I start thinking about it... :shock:

Any advice on what everyone thinks is the best way to go...re-arch or new...would be greatly appreciated. If re-arch is the way to go...are there any recommendations on who can perform the services on the west coast? If new is the way to go, where to purchase and do the new replacement springs fit just like the originals? Or do they have issues vs. the originals.

Thanks in advance!

Zeph
Zeph

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:02 pm

Zeph,

I have issues with my front leaf springs. There are no OEM or correct reproduction springs available. However, Ron sells some brand new springs that work like a champ and look great. They just won't pass the jeep police inspection. The only option you have is these or re-arch some 70 year old springs. I have heard that after re-arching they begin to sag again after a short period of time. That is why I went the new spring route. I am doing a motorpool restoration and want the jeep to handle like when new so the jeep police can say whatever they want......my opinion anyway.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:44 pm

Rodney,

Thank you for the reply. That is great that replacement springs are available that fit. I'm not sure what a motorpool rebuild is, but I just searched the G and found your motorpool rebuild thread and will look that over. I think I have an idea what it means. I can't imagine getting my GPW back to factory fresh based on how bad my tub and frame are. I would love to, but I am realistic in how much time I will have to devote to the project as well as funding availability. I may have to go with the "if it fits, I must refit" slogan. However, that may change as I learn more and attend a show or two. I am looking forward to the show next month in Lodi, CA. I want to research and learn as much as I can before I leap into this project. I also love the "jeep police" reference, by the way... :lol: Literally made me laugh out loud!

Thank you for the insight. I appreciate it. Zeph

thidisbogus wrote:Zeph,

I have issues with my front leaf springs. There are no OEM or correct reproduction springs available. However, Ron sells some brand new springs that work like a champ and look great. They just won't pass the jeep police inspection. The only option you have is these or re-arch some 70 year old springs. I have heard that after re-arching they begin to sag again after a short period of time. That is why I went the new spring route. I am doing a motorpool restoration and want the jeep to handle like when new so the jeep police can say whatever they want......my opinion anyway.
Zeph

tractor12
banned

Post by tractor12 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:16 pm

Trust me your tub is not that bad. I am fixing my MZ tub up that is in far worse shape. You need to get a plasma cutter, a mig welder, and a grinder with sanding pads and you can patch anything that is flat. John at Midwest sell new floors and hat channels and those can be welded in real easily if you don't have a brake to make the parts. I have a friend not on here that found a second frame and welded sections of 2 to make 1 and it came out great so frames can be saved if sections are really bad taht they need replaced. Have fun and see you at Tower. Everything is possible with time and practice. Mark
WC12 Wc 27 2 K38s Mz2 ambulance jeep 2 M3a4s M1a1 Chemical Mortar cart T4e1 usmc cart convertible

Return to “MB GPW Restoration Projects”