M151 A2 Tires

M151 modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: M151 A2 Tires

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:25 pm

dpcd67 wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 2:10 pm
Yes, I have read all those documents. NONE are the Government Type Classification and Nomenclature documents. All are just magazine articles and anecdotes calling it a mutt, just because Ford used it once. And a film is not the place for documenting nomenclature either.
Only one agency is tasked with the official nomenclature of vehicles. Was LOGSA but I think they changed their name. I was in TACOM on the M8 AGS development team; involved in what we call and name stuff.
It isn't a mutt, and that is not any official acronym. I know it upsets some people who like to call them than and of course, they can and do, just keep in mind that it is a nickname, not official Government data.
Can't change facts on that and I just like to be factual. Call them what you want to; No one who had them in service ever called them that, because it isn't an official name. I never say it does not exist; it definitely does; in the minds of civilian collectors.
Not in the files of official Acronyms.
lol, I had one in Korea and we called it a MUTT :mrgreen: If you worked for LOGSA you were just a "civilian employee", so us GI's called it a MUTT while I was on active duty, like you said "no hate response" MUTT MUTT
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

Hell on Wheels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_blL ... z7Ukw8gbHg

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:59 am

Funny, before I was a DA civilian, I had 28 years on active duty; (in my profile) we had M151s in every unit I was in. NO ONE then ever used the term mutt and no vet I know ever did either.
It's a figment of civilian collector's imaginations.
I was in Korea in 79-80 in the 194th Maintenance Bn; (only Armor Officer in it); no one called them mutts.
If you called them mutts; fine; I know a lot of veterans and none of them ever used that term. Because it was never any kind of official acronym. I can't understand why the facts of Type Classification upset M151 owners so much.
Of course everyone is free to call anything, any term they want, valid or not.
Carry on.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Hell On Wheels
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Hell On Wheels » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:15 am

Sounds good but both times I was stationed in Korea we used the MUTT term both at camp Hovey and Casey that was 10 years apart. 28 years in the Army, nice but if you were enlisted you may have been a grass police and if commissioned you were just statics person and if warranted just a NSN police. Thats why I couldn't spend another day past 20 years because of that. It was called a MUTT in the many units I was in and not behind a desk. Ok Col Karen you called what ever you called it behind a desk and us ground pounders called it a MUTT.
Robert

1966 - M151A1
1986 - M998
2007 - M1102
2009 - H3T

Hell on Wheels https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi_blL ... z7Ukw8gbHg

bugcape
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by bugcape » Thu Nov 03, 2022 8:33 pm

We were still using them in the National Guard in the 80's. And I couldn't say if we were more civilianized or what at this point,
but we called them Jeeps, Mutts, piece of sheets (POS), Tommy Turnovers (cuz Tommy dumped one on it's side once) and 151's.
On more than one occasion I can recall my buddy, Sgt. Maz saying, "Will you just get the F in that F'n thing and get the F outta
here already?" Now that's military terminology right there, but I checked and it's not in the operators manual. I think we can
add F'n thing to the list, no? Maybe the vernacular is too profane. I own a Jeep with a horizontal grill that I sometimes call my
Mutt when it suits me to do so. But not always, because I'm usually thinking of way more important stuff. Usually. When we meet
you can correct me and I will stand corrected. For the moment. But I'm just going to do it again anyway. It's how I am. :wink:
Da Gas Man

lpcoating
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by lpcoating » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:52 am

This has nothing to do with the "MUTT" term, but it funny how most people think they are from the 40's because of the flat fenders. They get disappointed when I tell them mine is from the '70's.

Return to “M151 Modifications”