deleted

M151 modifications, sugestions, and ideas, official MWO's and unofficial field mods

Hummerkiller

The M151 series based Prototype collection

Post by Hummerkiller » Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:02 pm

Here is a collection of very rare pictures I have aquired over the years.

Early 1950's M151/M38 Willys Overland/Ford hybrid notice the Grill as a Jeep grill and the solid axles.

Jet engine Jeep , and you thought nNate and I had lost our minds...LOL

HI sides and rounded rear fenders.

The Original M151A2-LC

Can you say Rock Crawler from the late 1950's this M151 was 3 decades ahead of Big Foot.

Can't forget the XM408 6x6 that had a small production run and then the TNJ Murray Stump Jumper colletion that may have inspired American Growler to build a newer 6x6 XM408 type vehilce.

Here is a combination of two prototypes the M151 BIG WHEEL and Te XM408 known as TNJ Murrays "STUMP JUMPER" This man knows how to cook...LOL

Carolina Growlers Pick up kit and Growler 1/4 ton are just advancements in a fantastic vehilce design.

This PU unit appears to be a combination of a modifed 416 trailer and the front end of a M151A2 type vehilce, it's as fantastic concept design idea.

Gives the vehicle the extra length desired and more vehicle storage space.

I love the Pick up truck kit as it is as cool as the Jeep Commanche in my book.

When reflecting upon these modifications and test vehilces our XM151A4 does not look so far fetched.
Last edited by Hummerkiller on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

petesilfven
G-General
G-General

Post by petesilfven » Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:44 pm

Bleddyn, I'm pretty sure the first picture with the vertical grill slots was taken at Ford Engineering. My first boss there worked with the group that did the design of the original vehicle. Evidently, Kaiser-Willys objected to the vertical slots because they were their own trademark. So Ford made them horizontal. The pic looks like it was taken in the Styling building showroom. The gas turbine vehicle could also have been a Ford project because they had a very active gas turbine program going at the time. For a time, I worked building prototype large truck turbine engines with the group.
MVPA 21473, GLMVPA
USN 1959-65 USS GALVESTON CLG3
NRA Benefactor Member

Hummerkiller

Wow Pete!

Post by Hummerkiller » Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Their is nothing better then insider info...LOL

Ken Lee a Retired Ford M151 Concept designer told me that that Ford had indded come up with the M151 and shared Tech Design info with Willys Overland, and that the M151 and the M38 in the very ealry days of the Prototype project were on the same drawing boards.

Willys Did object to the Grill on the M151, and later when Kaiser pickedup the contract did not differ from the grill design.

It would have been so cool if they had as then the Willys M151 and The Ford M151 would have hade evn more distictive differences they they already did.

I hada M38 and a M151A2 grill made into one grill to mimic the Grill in that first picture, but i do not plan to unveil any pictures of the Grill until we take the now Modified M151-LC to the first Racing Event.

This Grill has been our biggest secret and we have not shown it or taken a single picture of the grill to date.

We have it wrapped up and stored away in our shop closet.

Nate and I are so close to hitting the live circuit but still lack a few thousand bucks to get everything ready.

No one seems very interested in ending in even small donations to help with the cause, so Nate and I just keep saving our pennies and any scrap metal we can find and it's taking forever.

Anyway with the New XM151A4, if all goes well and contracts are signed we plan to set up a thread to help other M151 and other Jeep owners to get some money to buy parts so they like us can have their dreams come true.

Unlike many people we take this dream to heart and not everyone can afford to fix their rigs up.

Hell we barely can afford to but we try darn hard...LOL
Last edited by Hummerkiller on Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

halftracknut
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel
Post by halftracknut » Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:51 pm

Great photo's...thanks for the post....HTN....

breven52
G-Major
G-Major

Post by breven52 » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:50 pm

wow great pictutres ...the first jeep looks a very little like the willys bobcat to me
'42 Script GPW GPW6434
'41/2 Slat Grill Willys MB
'43 Bantam T-3 trailer
'62 Ford M151
MVPA#30758

Return to “M151 Modifications”