MV Trail Ride - July 22nd

Washington Area Collectors/Blue & Gray Military Vehicle Trust.
Sponsors of the Annual East Coast Rally at Ripken Field, Aberdeen, MD.

Moderator: gpwbob

gpwbob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

MV Trail Ride - July 22nd

Post by gpwbob » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:16 pm

We're going to have a full day of fun and adventure while driving our MVs on Sunday July 22nd.

The ride starts and ends at Clive Rowley's motor pool in Thurmont. We'll go through a couple covered bridges, visit an antique mall, have lunch on top of a mountain, drive through forest trails and view the beauty of a waterfalls. A full day, so please be prepared. Check out your MV for glitches and pump gas BEFORE we begin please. We'll have the opportunity to fill gas tanks and cans in the afternoon. If you need to depart the trail ride before the end, please let me know. We'll be on FRS channel 1 and I have extra radios to loan out.

The first 15 paid members of WAC/BGMVT will receive a $20 cash stipend which will be distributed during lunch. If you are not a member, please consider joining before or the morning of the trail ride and you can get back your membership fee during lunch! The first 15 members will be determined by the sign-in sheet at my jeep, the Doc Morthimer wannabe jeep, at Clive's in the morning.

I estimate 50 round-trip miles while the roads will either be smooth macadam or gravel. There is a stream that can be forded, if you want to, that is off to the side of one of the roads.
There might be a steep road on the way to Pen Mar park.

I have a request for a volunteer to drive my van with trailer please. We've used the trailer a couple times for broken down jeeps so it's important to bring the rig. The air conditioning works so there may be others in the van too!

Clive's address is 8216 Old Kiln Road, Thurmont, MD 21788. From Route 15 northbound or southbound, take Roddy Rd to Old Kiln. Roddy Creek Rd is also nearby and off Rt 15 but do not take this. My cell phone# is 443-691-2314 and email address is arbuker @ verizon.net

Tentative Schedule:
0900 Depart from Clive's Motor Pool
0930 Go through 2 covered bridges.
1000 Stop at a large indoor antique mall in Emmitsburg
1045 Depart Emmitsburg and take the back roads to Pen Mar park
1200 Picnic Lunch at Pen Mar
0100 Depart Pen Mar and proceed to the Frederick Watershed
0200 Drive through the forest of the Watershed (gasoline and snack break)
0300 Exit watershed and proceed to Cunningham Falls State Park
0330 Stop at the park and a short walk to Cunningham Falls, the largest cascading falls in MD
0415 Depart the Park and head for Clives (stopping at the Falls may be cut if we are running late)
0500 Arrive at Clive's

Thanks very much and see you on the 22nd.

Bob Buker
July 22nd Trail Ride Coordinator
443-691-2314 cell
arbuker @ verizon.net
Bob Buker
GPW 34785, 6/17/42, w/SCR-284 & BC-1000
Dodge 1944 WC-51
MBT August 1942
MVPA 12125

Return to “WAC/B&G MVT”