Next Meeting - April 21, 2012

Washington Area Collectors/Blue & Gray Military Vehicle Trust.
Sponsors of the Annual East Coast Rally at Ripken Field, Aberdeen, MD.

Moderator: gpwbob

gpwbob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Next Meeting - April 21, 2012

Post by gpwbob » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:18 pm

NEXT MEETING!!

The next club meeting is:
21 April, 2012 11am
USMC Museum
Quantico, VA

MILITARY VEHICLE DISPLAY AT THE NATIONAL MUSEUM OF THE MARINE CORPS

I (Tim Ketchum) have coordinated with the National Museum of the Marine Corps to have a military vehicle (MV) display in their parking lot on Saturday 21 April, 2012. The museum is open from 0900 to 1700 and admission is free. There are excellent exhibits, two places to eat and a museum shop. Check their website at http://www.usmcmuseum.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

MVs should arrive between 0800 & 0830 and be parked in the designated display area. All MVs will be parked together in the same area. You are free to stay with your vehicle to answer questions from the public, etc. and to tour the museum, eat in the two restaurants and shop in the store. You may stay with your MV until 1700 or depart sometime that afternoon. Restrooms are right inside the main doors. Club members will have a meeting at 1000 in the Mess Hall restaurant. It is on the 2nd floor of the museum, stairs and elevator available. There will be a free pastries, fruit and drink buffet available for club members. No outside food is allowed. If you are not a club member and want to join, come to the meeting, pay your dues ( $20) and eat for free. Club members not bringing a MV should arrive about 30 minutes prior to the meeting time so you can park your car and make it to the meeting on time.

Military vehicle display. You can have certain items on your vehicle for display: uniforms, equipment, radios, etc. There may be limited room around your vehicle, depending on how many MVs show up, so plan on having any display items on your vehicle. Weapons – only dummy, non firing inert weapons will be allowed. These weapons must be crew served weapons which are attached to the vehicle. No individual dummy weapons like rifles, pistols, bayonets will be allowed. No fake ordnance like hand grenades, bombs, mines, etc. There are plenty of these inside the museum. A representative from the museum will inspect each weapon. Vehicles/owners found to be not in compliance with these weapon standards will be asked to leave. This is federal property and we must comply with their rules. Concealed carry permits can not carry weapons on this federal property. If your vehicle leaks excessively provide a ground cover to be placed under your vehicle. Sorry, no tracked vehicles allowed this time. There will be sufficient room behind your MV to set up chairs. At this time, do not plan on towing a military trailer behind your military vehicle. These are parking lot size spaces and any military trailers would have to be unhooked and place next to your MV taking up two spaces. When I get a good head count on number of MVs, I can determine if there will be enough room for MV trailers.

Location. The museum is located off of Route 1 adjacent to Quantico Marine Corps Base. If you come on I-95, it is at exit 150. Come off the interstate heading east and make a right turn at Route 1 heading south. The museum is ½ mile down route 1 on the right. Be advised, on Saturdays traffic on I-95 south between Springfield and Quantico may be very slow, so plan your travel time accordingly. If you are driving a MV and do not want to use the interstate, you can come south on Route 1 from the Alexandria area or use the Mount Vernon Parkway next to the river until you reach Route 1 and then go south. If you are going to trailer a military vehicle, there will be parking for the trailer. Exact location to be determined.

RSVP. I need to get a count on what numbers and type of vehicles we will have for the display so I can coordinate enough space. If you want to participate with a MV, please let me know as soon as possible, but no later than 31 March, with the type of vehicle and if you will be towing it in on a trailer. If too many MVs sign up for our allotted space, I will invite those who signed up first. I also need to know how many club members will be there so I can arrange for the right amount of food. I need this head count by 7 April. If you are going to join the club that morning, let me know so I can include you in the food count. At this early date, if you want to bring an MV on 21 April but are not sure that you can make it, let me know now with your MV information and if you have to drop out later down the road, we can adjust. Reply to my email or give me a call as soon as possible, Tim Ketchum, 703-590-4960.

Tim Ketchum, Event Coordinator WAC/BGMVT
15314 Iris Lane, Montclair, VA 22025
703-590-4960, email TimK.43mb@verizon.net
Club Website http://www.washingtonbluegray.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bob Buker
GPW 34785, 6/17/42, w/SCR-284 & BC-1000
Dodge 1944 WC-51
MBT August 1942
MVPA 12125

gpwbob
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: Next Meeting - Sept 24, 2011

Post by gpwbob » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:28 am

bump
Bob Buker