info wanted 41 chev staff car

Ford, Plymouth, Dodge - Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
rjcanoe
G-Civilian

info wanted 41 chev staff car

Post by rjcanoe » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:44 pm

Hi all, My first time on this forum. Dose anyone know where I can find info or pictures of 1941 Chevrolet staff cars. How can I find a range of military serial numbers that I could use to finish my project? Thank you all for any help you can give.

rgus
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by rgus » Fri Nov 16, 2007 5:04 am

In February 1942 all civilian auto production was shut down and the remaining stocks of autos were stockpiled for essential war service. The two types of staff cars were the contract cars, they were made especially to government standards and almost imposable to find and the procurement cars. The great thing about restoring / building a staff car for us, in my opinion, is the procurement program the government put into place. That program allowed them to go into the pool of autos and grab any of the available autos for government services. The military added the light kit and changed the light switch to the standard military pull switch. I am sure different auto had other items added as needed depending on their individual usage. I suspect all the bright work was them painted but I have seen period pictures of staff cars in this country during the war that were not all painted. That allows any car of the 1941/1942 period to potentially be a procurement car. Here is a link to an original Ford publication showing the small changes that were made to produce a staff car. http://fordv8staffcar.mypicgallery.com/

Return to “Staff Car”