GPW Year ? DOD ? Engine ? Original ?

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

GPW Year ? DOD ? Engine ? Original ?

Post by Adam » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:44 am

Bought off fb. Just because. PO said mb. Sat in field for 15 years till PPO's sold her. License plate dated 82. Well its a GPW so far. It rolls! Need to name her, The olde rusty clan names are used up.

Adam
Attachments
20221205_110246.jpg

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Re: GPW Year ? DOD ? Engine ? Original ?

Post by Klaas » Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:11 pm

Hi Adam, it will need a lot of love and attention to get back into shape. Bubba has been busy! Looks like British side lights on the fenders; can't see them properly but don't throw them away if they are. Very useful to somebody like me who has a Brit jeep. Good luck with the restoration and keep us in the picture(s).
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 4:31 am

Klaas wrote:
Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:11 pm
Hi Adam, it will need a lot of love and attention to get back into shape. Bubba has been busy! Looks like British side lights on the fenders; can't see them properly but don't throw them away if they are. Very useful to somebody like me who has a Brit jeep. Good luck with the restoration and keep us in the picture(s).
Plus is has a plate over one of the cat eye locations on the grill, which is something else the British did with their jeeps.

Possibly you have discovered another rare British Jeep in the USA ?

Is there a British light switch knob on the dash, to the driver's left ?

Adam can you post a few more pictures of your jeep discovery ?

Best Regards,
Ray

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:36 am

Here's a pic of the dash, No glove box plates, there looks to be some type of id tag on the frame behind the left front tire, PPO put a bolt through it and a snow plow frame over most of it.

Its cold and raining here for the last few days and jeep is outside. It has a mouse family that i do not want in my garage.

Thought it may have something to do with the UK or Britian, was thinking maybe a post war mod too. Engine block says "BLOCK ASSY" AND LV7 for starters on it, only info i can find is lv7 is british jeep type vehicle???? and from old posts on the Gee engine made in India while under British Ocuation. So what is known about this engine Have not seen any updated info on it. Wonder how to date the motor, and what is it really?

Hopefully the top is post war civilian as i am ready to cut that off along with the big front bumper and plow stuff. Its going to rain and be cold for the next week so likely she will remain as is for a bit.
Attachments
315729970_6249663458395622_47471151768118365_n.jpg

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:38 am

5' pic
Attachments
315545254_6249663441728957_4920492357149055037_n.jpg

Klaas
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Klaas » Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:34 am

Hi Adam, LV7 is indeed the start of a British (most likely post-war) parts number. I have had several ex-British army boxes and cartons with Land-Rover Series One parts in them from the early 1950's and the part number always starts with LV7.
Time for the British contingent to chime in to tell what LV7 stands for :wink:
Seems very likely that your GPW spent its early life in the British army and received a replacement engine during that time.
If only the old thing could talk!
Good luck with the restoration when the rain stops!
Klaas
GPW17331 - April 21 1942 - Dallas, "J-dot"
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171 - 1944

craig wiggett
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by craig wiggett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:40 pm

Hi..I'm in Vemont..Your Jeep looks like one of mine, with the parking lights on the fenders, and the original grill light locations covered over...It was reimported from Europe to Ohio in the 60's with a few others..They were from the British military, and rebuilt in Germany by the Brits...Check your frame and motor for additional ID tags...

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:05 pm

craig wiggett wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:40 pm
Hi..I'm in Vemont..Your Jeep looks like one of mine, with the parking lights on the fenders, and the original grill light locations covered over...It was reimported from Europe to Ohio in the 60's with a few others..They were from the British military, and rebuilt in Germany by the Brits...Check your frame and motor for additional ID tags...
Hello Craig,

Can you post some pictures of your British Jeep ?

I have one that was recovered from upstate New York, another is in Iowa, and a third known US based British jeep was repatriated to England a few years ago that was still original nice shape.
The one I have was rebuilt in Germany by 22 Heavy and was tagged belonging to the 5th Royal Tank Regiment, and rebuilt by 22 Heavy Workshop.
It also had the postwar Brit jeep number of 91YH98.
Sold surplus on January 31, 1957.

Here is a post on a British jeep here on the G, and some pics of mine and the other are also in the post.

viewtopic.php?f=96&t=288500

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Adam wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 6:36 am
Here's a pic of the dash, No glove box plates, there looks to be some type of id tag on the frame behind the left front tire, PPO put a bolt through it and a snow plow frame over most of it.

Its cold and raining here for the last few days and jeep is outside. It has a mouse family that i do not want in my garage.

Thought it may have something to do with the UK or Britian, was thinking maybe a post war mod too. Engine block says "BLOCK ASSY" AND LV7 for starters on it, only info i can find is lv7 is british jeep type vehicle???? and from old posts on the Gee engine made in India while under British Ocuation. So what is known about this engine Have not seen any updated info on it. Wonder how to date the motor, and what is it really?

Hopefully the top is post war civilian as i am ready to cut that off along with the big front bumper and plow stuff. Its going to rain and be cold for the next week so likely she will remain as is for a bit.

Hello Adam,

Thanks for the additional pictures.
2 of the known British jeeps in the US, had Brit made hard tops on them when found here in the USA, as used in northern Germany after the War.
I am thinking that only a small batch of British jeeps ever ended up in the USA, but on this post we have discovered 2 additional ones,
your jeep, and Craig's in Vermont .

Are you planning a restoration on this rare jeep, or passing it onto another G member as a potential restoration project ?

Best Regards,
Ray

craig wiggett
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by craig wiggett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:24 pm

Adam..Will do..There's a man in England named Charlie Huntingford that reimported one of them...He has a great collection...He's active on a couple facebook groups over there...Craig
Attachments
101_0748.JPG
101_0730.JPG
101_0729.JPG
101_0728.JPG
101_0727.JPG
101_0726.JPG
101_0725.JPG
101_0724.JPG
101_0723.JPG

craig wiggett
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by craig wiggett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:36 pm

Ray..oops, I thought it was Ray that asked for more pics...My Jeep had an 'Arctic Top' with it when I bought it...I dont believe it was Brit made..

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:37 pm

craig wiggett wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:24 pm
Adam..Will do..There's a man in England named Charlie Huntingford that reimported one of them...He has a great collection...He's active on a couple facebook groups over there...Craig
Hello Craig,

I must say you have a beautiful British Jeep right there !!!
It is so nice to see another one, as well as Adam's new jeep !

You still have that fire extinguisher mount on the wheel well, a superior location in my opinion.

Also the gas cap locking cover is a distinctly British feature !

On my jeep, the holes for the FX are there, but the bracket is missing.

What is your hood number ?

You have a real piece of history there, having served in Europe !

I was able to use the small dash plate on my jeep, to search the Royal Archives to get the index Key Card with additional info which included the WW2 M hood number.

Very exciting to see your jeep !

I am sure Charlie would like this post as well :D

Mine had a "rough built" top as well, but the seller cut it off and dumped it.
I thought I might have gotten it, but didn't.

If you look at old pics from northern Germany, you can see many British jeeps with the same type hard tops.
Maybe Germans employed by the British helped make them there, for the tough winter weather .

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craig wiggett
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by craig wiggett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm

Ray..I thought it was Adam...

craig wiggett
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by craig wiggett » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:44 pm

Ray..I was also able to retrieve a copy of the Key Card for my Jeep...It's a '43 GPW, but apparently had a later body put on it at 23 base Workshop in Reme..

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:47 pm

craig wiggett wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:39 pm
Ray..I thought it was Adam...
Hi Craig,

No problem !

I see you have the nice rifle mounts as well :D
Another feature is to look at your rear differential cover, they usually were painted white, with a small light focused on them for night B.O. driving.

I was lucky enough to find the original rebuilt engine in from my jeep, a year later in Pennsylvania that another G member had in his collection of parts.
Not Adam, but I did get a nice French engine from him that he delivered here to Florida,with amny other French made jeep parts,
thanks again Adam !

This would be a good jeep to save and restore, and even find some history on it if the frame tag or a dash or engine tag is found.

I am amazed at what can be found here in the USA, and that is the fun of finding these vehicles !

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”