Advice needed please.

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
aikmanmosquito
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Advice needed please.

Post by aikmanmosquito » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:45 pm

I have an April 45 MB, it's in the process of being restored at a well known UK dealer. Now I've received news this morning that my engine block has a fairly serious crack as the oil was full of antifreeze! is this quite a common problem with these engines? and if so would this problem soon reoccur with a replacement second hand block?
Next issue I was told that they feel my tub is too far gone to repair, and are talking of removing it's toe gussets to transfer the number over to another better tub, is this quite a common issue and solution? I'm pretty gutted about the tub as I had wanted it saved to try and keep some originality'

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Advice needed please.

Post by 70th Division » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:08 pm

Hello,

If you can post pictures of the tub many could give you advice based on what is seen. As for the engine, if it is sleeved back to standard that should be a permanent fix. Also if the issue is elsewhere like the distributor shaft hole, I think that too can be sleeved, but others will know if it is a good fix.

But pictures will be needed here on the G 😀😀

Best Regards,
Ray

aikmanmosquito
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by aikmanmosquito » Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:23 am

Thank you, how do you post pictures on here?

Sargent Resorator
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Sargent Resorator » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:50 am

You need to post on the G503 surface zero. Then you copy the pictures in your posting. Not very hard to do.Image
This is what I started with. It was a lot of work. Anything can be repaired. It is rewarding to save a jeep.

Adam
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Adam » Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:17 pm

Where is the engine cracked? is it a mb engine that belongs in the jeep?
Correctly repaired and built MB engines will run without any problems. they will live with good cooling, oil and maintenance. leave it out all winter with water in the block and it will die.

All tubs are repairable, sometimes only the glove box door is good though. I would get it sandblasted or dipped or bead blasted or what not and start adding up the parts and costs before i decided. It is real easy to get 2 or 3 grand in parts alone, what do you want your end result to be?

Adam

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:39 pm

I am using a repro body kit from the Philipines and am finding the experience less then satisfying. In general the repro kit looks very presentable BUT I have had to do allot of realigning some of the mounting holes for seats and gauges etc. So either way you go you will have to put time and sweat and money into your project.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”