Ford GPW 257754

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Hpth@online.no
G-Private
G-Private
Ford GPW 257754

Post by Hpth@online.no » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:33 am

I have Ford GPW serial no 257754. Mye father purched it from the Norwegian army in 1979 (for less then § 100), and he gave it to me in 1983, when I was 19. It has always been fully functional, and for a period of time in daily use, It has followed me ever since - including during my 15 years of service in the army. During this time I had good access to original parts from old US army veichles from the US army aid program. I also got hold of the original army registration papers, showing that the jeep came to Norway in 1949 - prior to the US arms aid program that started in 1950.
I have always thought that it never was rebuildt - due to the fact that it was very much intact Ford. However, after doing quite some reasearch I think I have been wrong.
The Jeep has a Ford ACM2 tub (horizontal tail blackout light bracket and late top hat channel) with serial no 346 (or maybe 1346), probably dating from january 44. It has intact rubber seals on both tool box lids and the glove box lids. Tool box lids are Ford with late hinges spot welded on top. It has a pull/push light switch (with no hole for a rotary switch) and no holes for neither shipping plate or first aid kit. The hood has 9 part hinge (Willys?), with holes for grease gun bracket, but not for maintenance chart. It has an original heather. The Grill has not holes for staples for felt, but are ww II type (1/2 " thick). When it came to Norway it had a GPW engine GPW-206153, but that has later been rotated with a 44 mod MB engine as part of the army maintenance program. It had no original data plates, only Norwegian instruction versions (no replaced with reproduction Ford). During its service in the Norwegian army, I think it have had an accident becuse of some repair on the left fender and replaced bumper etc. - including on the guard to the Black out head light. The head light brackets are one Ford and one Willys. The steering whell was Green plastic (from 42)
I have only been doing reapairs (brakes overhaul etc) and changed post war Items with either original parts ( ex. ignition swith from a M3 scout car wich is identical to Ford GPW, a late GPW steering wheel etc) or some new reproduced parts (from electrical wipers to manual etc,). I alsom have all original tools.
After so many years of use I plan to do some more extensive maintenance - including paint work. I consider either to make it more correct as to production period (march 45?) with shipping plate, first aid kit etc. or as to the Tub production period (january 44). I am leaning towards the 45 period because of the frame serial no.
Hope that some of the details regarding ACM 2 tub details might help others. Would also appreciate some advice regarding time period restoration and perhaps somebody can give me a clue on correct DoD.

nikola_n
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Ford GPW 257754

Post by nikola_n » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:19 am

Hi,I have this information interesting ....gpw 257965 On the left side of the front, there is stamped: 401-2015 R 55, body 215279 20737096 Norway .
WILLYS FORD GPW WILLYS CJ3A
373792 82070 Louisville
374884 236903 Louisville

Hpth@online.no
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Hpth@online.no » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:47 am

Do you have DOD on yours?

Frank
General

Post by Frank » Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:29 pm

I would base the restoration on the chassis serial number! The ACM type II body was used from early 1944 to the end of production so the visual will be correct.
I have two GPW`s close to your serial number(one restored matching number and one unrestored original) so feel to contact me if you want info on details etc.
Are you located in Norway?
Willys MB`s
Ford GPW`s
CJ2A
CJ-7
Wrangler JL Rubicon
Bantam T-1`s
Willys MBT`s
Canadien 10cwt trailer
follow me on Instagram #jeepfabrikken

Hpth@online.no
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Hpth@online.no » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:14 am

Thank you for your reply and advice. Will appreciate further advice. Ytes, I am located in Norway. Tried to Mail you directly but not sure if it went through. If possible send me a Mail to hpth@online.no and I send it again. Brg Hans Petter

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”