My Willys MB

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
AmphibAndy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

My Willys MB

Post by AmphibAndy » Sat Sep 26, 2020 10:42 am

Hi Guys. My Father bought the Willys MB in about 1975 from a local farmer. As we already had, and still have , one other Jeep which Dad bought in 1951 the Willys got put to the back of the Shed . Having been through loads of other vehicle restorations I am setting to on this Jeep. Dad who is 96 is keen to see it restored. My question relates to serial numbers. When I looked at the UK registration book it states that is has a serial number of 20736277. As is often the case with an ex Army vehicle, the dealer didnt know where the chassis number was and so took the number off the bonnet and used that as the chassis number. When we bought the Willys, it had been in some sort of accident and the front end of the chassis was missing and replaced with U channel steels. So I dont have a serial number, there date plate has gone . The only thing I have is the body number on the front Body Gusset, which I have to go and get once more as I have forgotten it.

Now none of the above is an issue as the vehicle has a UK registration document dating back to 1956 and my real interest is trying to find out what I am restoring, what year it is, and maybe if records or knowledge exists perhaps I can find out my original serial number. I live in hope.

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: My Willys MB

Post by Scrumps » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:36 am

Hi,

From data here:-

https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPMBUSA.html

I would say you have a Jul ‘45 vehicle (assuming the hood number is correct).

That would put your chassis number between 451000 and 456000 using similar data here:-

https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPMBSerialnumber.html.

As the MB engine numbers diverge from the chassis number as the war progressed, your engine number should be somewhere around MB625000 or later.

Body number ( on the front of the drivers footwell support gusset) should be between 259000 and 262000 to “match”.

I hope that helps. Several on here have more detail (probably).

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2021 New Defender 90 D250 HSE
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB
Royal Navy Weapons Engineer 1979-2007.

AmphibAndy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by AmphibAndy » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:15 am

hi Scrumps. Thanks for this information and many apologies for not getting back to you. I need to check my notification setting. I will get stuck into checking numbers and come back on here. Great I have something to do tomorrow now!

AmphibAndy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by AmphibAndy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 5:34 am

Well I just checked the body and the engine. The body has 152449. The engine just 21590. So not sure what's going in here. Maybe the usual bitza. The front of the chassis had been damaged in an accident and it has had a replacement chassis, but the cross member which I kept is F marked. So could this be one of the composite bodied Jeeps? I should read my history books, there is so much knowledge about these but I am not sure which is the best place to find out. It would be nice to know roughly what year she is.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:46 am

Hello,

That is great news that you are getting your Jeep restored for your father !!!!
What a wonderful project, best of luck with it !!

I was thinking that if you had a Ford cross member, you might just have a Ford Jeep, that used the ACM type 1 " Willys" style body from the factory starting in later 1943.
I think that your body number matches that sequence.
Likely the body is a July 1943 ACM 1 and what you might have there :D :D
Does it have a Willys MB engine ?
It sounds like a GPW engine with that low serial number .

Take a close look at this link !!
Bingo !!!

https://rdrnl.home.xs4all.nl/4UWPBodynumbers.html

Does your Willys type body have the Ford GPW type foot rests in the back ??
I bet it did :D

Do you have the triangular shaped body gusset with your acm number stamped on it ?

I have basically the same jeep here in Florida, ex British, that I thought
was a Willys with Ford frame, until I discovered that Ford started using the Willys type ACM bodies at their factories in later 1943 !!
I have the Ford rear foot rests in it as well.

Now, I happened to have the USA factory serial number of my jeep stamped on a frame tag by the British. The serial number is 157765 and my ACM type 1 number is 162010.
You don't have your serial number, but if you start looking on the G for later 1943 GPW jeeps with ACM numbers and serial numbers, you can really get a good idea of what your original serial number would have been close to.

The body serial number is the magic decoder, and yours is likely for a 1943 Ford GPW
:D :D :D .

Here is another link , scroll down to see the GPW serial number range for 1943, your serial number would be that range somewhere.

wiijeepparts.com/Archives/JeepSerialNumber.html#WWIISerialNumbers

Also, if you happen to have a British jeep, with a YH number available on it like on the windshield bottom, the sides of the hood, or rear bumperettes, you can trace that number easily online with your Royal Logistics Archives !!
I had a YH number on my jeep on a data plate on the dash, and found my jeep !!
And a bunch of information, when it was sold, and that it was in the BAOR :D
They even listed it as a Willys, but it is indeed a Ford GPW with my body number :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:46 am

Ray,

If you look at the OP, Andy says the U.K. authorities used the serial number when it was registered.

Whether it’s a GPW or MB, the serial number 20736277 comes out as “Early 1945”.

Andy doesn’t say whether the gusset shape and serial number location are ACM1 or 2 but that would mean June ‘43 (ACM1) or Nov ‘44 (ACM2).

I think this could be the key.

Andy,

ACM1 or 2? - we can tell you the difference if you need guidance.

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:08 am

Hello Scrumps,

It is great fun trying to figure this mystery jeep out :D :D :D

Let me correct what I posted.... this is only if it is an ACM type 1 body !!
I think either way, we may have this figured out :D :D :D
He said that that number was used, but that number is a USA Hood number.
I bet that number is from 1945 Jeep.
Possibly a replaced hood that had that number painted on it.

Assuming it is an ACM type 1 body then the following would be accurate , but if ACM 2 then you are right on with your information !!!

If it is an ACM 1 number, the body it isn't from 1945, and he said the frame was originally a Ford frame. My guess is that it was originally a 1943 Ford GPW, July, August, or September. Depending on what other known GPW jeeps have for ACM 1 body tub numbers.

Again only if it is an ACM type 1 :D :D

Hopefully Andy will let us know if he has the triangle shaped gusset for an ACM type 1 body.
I am guessing he does based on the body tub number he posted.

But it could very well be as you have said and be an ACM 2 November 44 body.

The gusset will be the key to see what he has :D :D :D

Best Regards,
Ray

AmphibAndy
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by AmphibAndy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:46 am

Thank you Guys for showing so much interest in my quest and sharing your extensive knowledge with me and others. I am a bit rushed now so cannot photograph the gusset but I can tell you its the traingular front gusset. The foot bars I need to check which they are , but the wireless suppression box under the dash has a Willys plate on it it. I am sure you are all aware that many Jeeps went through base overhaul and were no doubt rebuilt with literally the nearest part to hand. I will go through your posts with more detail and try to clarify the points you have raised. The bonnet that I have with the Jeep does not have the lubrication sleep or fire extinguisher brackets or holes which may limit the date if the bonnet( hood) is the correct for the vehicle Thanks once again Andrew

Scrumps
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Scrumps » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:00 am

Ray,

ACM 1 gusset seems to be the answer. :-)

As there is no lube chart holder or grease gun bracket, I agree with you that the USA serial number is the data that doesn’t “fit” the rest of the puzzle, but think that is a re-numbered late ‘43 or early ‘44 hood.

More to ponder methinks!

Scrumps
Dec '42 Willys MB
Aug ‘44 Willys MB
2005 Landrover 90 CSW
2024 Range Rover Sport
1967 MGB

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:10 am

Hello,

Wow that could have gone either way !!!
Take a look at this post :

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=318560&p=1854858&h ... t#p1854858

I didn't realize that the ACM 2 numbers caught up to the ACM 1 serial numbers :D :D :D
I did not know that, but we learn something new everyday :D :D :D

A 1943 GPW I was guessing would be more likely found in the United Kingdom,
than a late 45 model.
I would think most of those would have gone directly into France and Germany, then later to NATO countries ??

When Andy can post more pictures we will know more on this mystery jeep :D :D :D

Best Regards to you Scrumps and Andy !!!

Ray

steviem
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by steviem » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:48 am

I was given a hood number for my April 45 MB of

20704655 built April 1945 under contract w-33-019-1885

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”