Advice on selling a '45

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
NorCalKen
G-Private
G-Private
Advice on selling a '45

Post by NorCalKen » Sat Dec 28, 2019 3:32 pm

I’m looking for advice.

I have a 1945 Ford that has belonged to my stepfather for the last 40 years or so. I brought it from Arizona up to Northern California in 2008 to store it here for him. He’s decided it is time to sell it. I transferred title into my name, so I’d have a clear CA title to sign for the new buyer. I’m looking for advice from the fine folks here as to a fair asking price. Here’s what I know about the Jeep:

It lived in Arizona from around the mid-70s until I brought it to California in 2008. While it’s been here, I’ve had the fuel system worked on and replaced the battery, but little else. It starts relatively easily, even after sitting for extended periods of time. The fuel has stabilizer.

Oil pressure, amps and speedometer appear to be working. Fuel gauge isn’t working, as you can see that the wire to the tank is disconnected and laying on top of the tank in the pictures. The temp gauge may be working, as it’s possible I haven’t run the engine long enough to move the needle appreciably.

Starter button, light switch, choke and throttle all work as expected.

Headlights, front blackout lights, and taillights work. Reverse, and 3 forward gears work fine, as does the 2/4 wheel drive lever. The lever to switch from H-N-L range is frozen in high range. I’ve applied as much force as I’m comfortable on the lever trying to move it forward into low range, without success.

Wipers are electric, and not connected. Windows are operable, as is the front windscreen.

I’m including a link to a gallery of pictures. I’m hopeful that I can receive some advice on any information I’ve left out that I should include, and what a ballpark fair price is.
Thank you for your experience and wisdom.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiBKQHKMs35Mi5YtW3d ... Q?e=OZpxtv

Bart1015
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Advice on selling a '45

Post by Bart1015 » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:15 pm

I know your looking to sell it. However, keep in mind that's a great jeep to be restored. Or just fix the minor rust issues, get tires and a service done and drive as is.

Price really depends on a bunch of factors coming together.

Do you know if the engine is original. The engine number should be stamped on the block behind the oil filter. If not, is it a CJ engine?
Do you have the glovebox data plates?
Ideally, the engine, frame and data pates should have the same numbers.
Do you have any of the missing parts (top bows, horn ect)

Jeeps likes these are not really "rare" but they are getting harder to find. A few years ago I bought one that was listed on Craigslist, that looked similar to yours, with a CJ engine installed for $4200. It was a driving jeep with minor mechanical issues. I paid what the seller listed it for and I think his price was low.

Where are you located in Northern Ca? I am in Sonoma County and there is a lot of guys more north. I am sure myself, or someone else, on here can stop by and take a look and give you a ballpark idea of what you have. Also, I am not looking to buy another jeep, nor would I try to find a buyer for your jeep. Just offering some help with determining what you have.
1942 VEP GPW, J-2 winch, BC-659, 1919a4
1945 GPW, 1943 MBT
Sold - 1967 M151a1, 1943 MB, M416
www.ToThePointPolygraph.com

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:27 pm

The Transfer shifting problem may be due to drive shaft wind up, try driving it on grass or gravel, or Jacking up one rear wheel to relieve the wind up.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

NorCalKen
G-Private
G-Private

Post by NorCalKen » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:57 pm

Have driven it around a bit, on dirt, gravel, asphalt. Tried moving the shifter at rest, in motion, in gear, in neutral. It seems pretty determined to sit right where it is.

:)

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:16 am

Drive it on loose gravel, give accelerator a goose while keeping pressure on lever. It might Jar it loose.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Cal.Bar
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Cal.Bar » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:48 am

It's not that hard to come up with a number. Go to ewillys.com or willysforsale.com and start watching the ads. What you have is the bare bones of a jeep or as others have stated, "a good candidate for restoration". Keep in mind, perfectly restored these things aren't worth more than 20K. Yours NEEDS 10K worth of restoration and another 10K worth of labor. Do the math. I'd put a value of about 3-5K. Not much more.

NorCalKen
G-Private
G-Private

Post by NorCalKen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:13 am

I appreciate the advice. Thank you!

m37-man
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by m37-man » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:51 pm

I have a dozen jeeps, including both MBs and GPWs, and would agree with the $3-5K estimate. Your jeep is pretty complete and is a Ford (good), but needs bodywork, has some frame/body mods and is missing the original data plates (not so good).

Bring it to the Plymouth CA MVCC meet in April, I'm sure you will get offers. You can park it in my space.
M37-Man, discriminating collector of all terrain vehicles:
'43 Ford GPW
'45 Willys MB
'73 Jeep Commando
'78 & '85 Jeep CJ7s
'83 Jeep Scrambler
Herd of '66 BMY M274A2 Mules

NorCalKen
G-Private
G-Private

Post by NorCalKen » Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:27 pm

Data plates missing for sure. However, did receive advice on finding the engine number. Turns out engine and frame match. Going to do some research on the body next. Thanks for your space offer and advice!

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:40 am

Unless someone is going to buy this, restore it, and flip it, I don't think it's fair to consider the cost of labor in the price of the restore. Most of us restore these to keep for ourselves and I would never tell someone that the value is higher because I spent 100s of hours restoring it. If that was the case, I'd have to sell it for $30k to make my money back and to cover my cost in time (no one would pay $30k from my jeep :lol: ). Personally, I'd consider the amount of original bits that still exist and are still in working or salvageable condition. Just under the hood there are quite a few original items that generally aren't there - like the air filter, oil filter, fuel filter, and oil can bracket. What about the carburetor? If that's original, value goes up again. Looks like you've got 3 original combat rims, original gauges that mostly work, and I'm assuming 3 of 4 original grab handles. When I bought my shell in 2013, I paid $1750 for a running GPW that had a T-90 tranny, CJ engine block, CJ rims, and a body that was not salvageable. My opinion...having matching frame and engine numbers, along with an engine that runs, a T-84 tranny that shifts, 3 of 5 original combats, and a body that looks more that salvageable, along with the other original items, I'd think you should easily be able to get $5k or more, depending on the buyer. I personally think that anything less than $5k is too low.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

JIMN
G-Major
G-Major

Post by JIMN » Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:54 pm

I normally don’t like it when people ask for values, but with your situation it seems ok to me.
Looks like it is in great shape, the transfer case issue is probably easily handled, and probably wouldn’t reduce the value.
Matching numbers is great and adds to the value.
I agree with the last response and would think $5000 - $6900.00 .... For the right buyer. Good luck....
1941 Ford GP, 1944 Willys MB, 1943 Bantam T3

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:22 pm

Hello Ken,

It is a beautiful original looking jeep.
Someone can possibly do the repairs, and " restore" the paint and numbers and preserve the original paint
on it.
Saving some money on the restoration, but it takes some time to do it carefully !!!
This jeep would look absolutely beautiful via a "preservation restoration" , with a little touch up on the damaged areas and such.
New paint areas can be blended in to seem natural. ( I use old black dirty oil and grease to tint new paint to match certain shade of darker, patina of post war repaint olive drab on my jeep. Rub it in good, then wipe it off, it works great for me !! )
I am doing that right now on my 1942 GPW.

The body looks like a pre 1945 ACM type 1 body.
The jeep may be an earlier year, or went through a government rebuild program at one point.
Post a pic of the triangle shape front body gussett.
It should also have a number stamped in it that can help date the body.
Good luck on the sale !!!!

It is a real beauty !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Sapper 98
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Sapper 98 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi are you still looking at selling?

KInd regards
Alec

Michael O.
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Michael O. » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Cal.Bar wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:48 am
Keep in mind, perfectly restored these things aren't worth more than 20K.
Say again, over? Obviously you are new to this hobby.
Michael O’Connell

Too many jeeps…and a Dodge.

MVPA 13861

Cal.Bar

Post by Cal.Bar » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Michael O. wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:07 pm
Cal.Bar wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:48 am
Keep in mind, perfectly restored these things aren't worth more than 20K.
Say again, over? Obviously you are new to this hobby.
Nope, not new, just keep an eye on the sales section

https://willysforsale.com/ads/1943-willys-jeep-4/
https://willysforsale.com/ads/1945-will ... -complete/

Sure, Europe sees higher prices, but here in the US, you can buy a very well restored 45 (or even older) at just about any time for right around 20K. So change my statement above from aren't worth 20K to.... "they are worth ABOUT 20K."

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”