42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: 42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:28 am

I purchased and installed new pinion seals for my front and rear axles. I had taken great care towards installing them as I used a small flat piece of wood and a rubber mallet to tap the new seals in. They went in easy and straight with just a few taps so I then decided to install the yokes. I decided to purchase new yokes for both axles rather than installing a speedi-sleeve. If my yokes were F-marked, I would've taken that route, but as they were unmarked, I decided to install new yokes.

I had then attempted to apply 200-250lbs torque to the pinon nut/washer. However, I wasn't able to get near that limit but noticed that the pinion nut was lined with the hole for the cotter pin. It seems that the nut had "bottomed-out" at the yoke. I wanted to check that it was installed successfully, so I had rotated the axle on the work horses so that the yoke and gumball was facing vertically (North/South) and left them in that position for a few days. I had then discovered a few drops of oil leaking at the pinion seal. :evil:

The pinion seal was installed in the correct orientation, was seated properly and was not damaged during installation. I also noticed that the yoke flange does not but up against the collar as there is a small gap, but although there appears to be a sheen around the collar, it does not appear to be leaking at this location. Should I be concerned about this?

I am leaning towards purchasing new seals, but before installing them I am thinking of applying a small bead of permatex around the perimeter of the opening to also prevent the oil from slowly leaking out. From the attached photos, is there something that I had done wrong or failed to do?
Attachments
Yoke Front Axle.jpg
yoke bottom.jpg
yoke gap.jpg

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:48 am

Hey Todd,

Looking good! I'm sure it's a nice feeling to see more and more OD around the garage. Before you know it, the frame will be done and you'll be past the dirty stage and beginning the must cleaner reassembly. The 'F' on the wooden bumper insert looks awesome! Sorry to hear about the pinion seals...never what you want to see after taking the effort to keep oil from dripping! I'm curious to see if anyone else chimes in, especially before I bite the bullet and replace mine.

Also, not sure what your plan is for your tranny/xfer case, but I just tore apart my spare GPW tranny and I'm preparing to rebuild. I've only disassembled it, cleaned the case, and painted the case so far, but I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised with how easy disassembly was. I used John Barton's guide on Jeepdraw to make sure I was following the correct steps http://jeepdraw.com/John_Barton3-GEARBOX2.html, and also used his guide to confirm the case is still in usable condition. I'll use the manual and another rebuild guide I have for reassembly, but I'm pretty confident it'll be straightforward...I just need to decide when to justify buying the replacement parts I need!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

majmacs
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:03 pm

Hi,
Where did you purchase the new yokes? Ron has been sold out for almost a year and I was having trouble finding the correct type. I bought one advertised for WW2 Jeeps but when it arrived, it was the later CJ3 type.
Patrick

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:11 am

Hi Sean - you are right! Even small progress of getting the miscellaneous parts primed/painted provides motivation and light at the end of the tunnel, despite some minor setbacks. I haven't tackled the transmission as of yet, but after doing some research on the G, I think I am going to tackle the rebuild myself. I wasn't thinking of having someone else rebuild it, but after considering the cost for the rebuild and that it does not appear overly complex, I would like to give it a go. It also is fantastic having access to reference material such as John Barton's step-by-step instructions. Truly thankful that he and others here on the G have provided access to these documents and are willing to share their knowledge!

Hello Patrick,
When I had decided to replace my yoke's a few months past, I had called RFP to purchase new ones and they had mentioned that they have yokes available, but just ones that do not have the collar but that if I were to purchase a speedi-sleeve, they could be fine. I then searched for sleeves and discovered that their cost was comparable to the cost of a new yoke. I searched and found PDs had them in stock so decided to go with them as RFP didn't know when they would get new yokes in inventory. As the leak was observed at the new seal and yoke (around the collar), I will look to replace both components. I read on the G that folks have good & bad feelings about installing the speedi-sleeves but it now looks like I will install them on my old yokes. I also looked at my yokes on my TC and noticed that they too have excessive wear. :(

majmacs
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm

Thanks!
Please post how things go with the speedi sleeves.
Patrick

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:48 pm

majmacs wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Thanks!
Patrick
Hi Patrick,
After numerous attempts and with support from a fellow Jeep friend, I finally was able to successfully install the front & rear yokes without any oil leaks. I had tried multiple and different types of oil seals, but ultimately I was able to identify that the oil leak was not originating from the oil seal, but it was leaking at the pinon yoke. I cleaned/primed/pained the original yokes as they were F-marked and wanted to keep them so I installed the recommended speedi-sleeve SKF Part #99156. Installation went well for both yokes. After I installed them to the pinon shaft, I applied a torque of 100 ft/lbs and decided to physically turn the yoke. Much to my concern, the yoke was binding and was difficult to turn. I had then tried to install the pinon yoke to the rear axle and observed the same concern. I then removed the yoke and found that the seal was rubbing on the sleeve and left a mark just simply after turning it by hand. I had then decided to install my newly purchased yokes and all went well. I will keep my original F-marked yokes in hope that I can find someone to spray welding both yokes.

The photo contains the newly purchased yokes and the original yokes with the speedi-sleeves attached.
Attachments
IMG_6889.jpg
IMG_6890.jpg

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:20 am

1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Tue Jun 09, 2020 5:48 pm
majmacs wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:31 pm
Thanks!
Patrick
Hi Patrick,
After numerous attempts and with support from a fellow Jeep friend, I finally was able to successfully install the front & rear yokes without any oil leaks. I had tried multiple and different types of oil seals, but ultimately I was able to identify that the oil leak was not originating from the oil seal, but it was leaking at the pinon yoke. I cleaned/primed/pained the original yokes as they were F-marked and wanted to keep them so I installed the recommended speedi-sleeve SKF Part #99156. Installation went well for both yokes. After I installed them to the pinon shaft, I applied a torque of 100 ft/lbs and decided to physically turn the yoke. Much to my concern, the yoke was binding and was difficult to turn. I had then tried to install the pinon yoke to the rear axle and observed the same concern. I then removed the yoke and found that the seal was rubbing on the sleeve and left a mark just simply after turning it by hand. I had then decided to install my newly purchased yokes and all went well. I will keep my original F-marked yokes in hope that I can find someone to spray welding both yokes.

The photo contains the newly purchased yokes and the original yokes with the speedi-sleeves attached.
Thanks for explaining your experience, Todd! I'm going to add new yokes to my list of 'upgrades' for my jeep. It would be nice to not have to park on cardboard, or at least not as much cardboard, if I'm able to finally get my axles to stop dripping :lol:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

parker007
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by parker007 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 am

I think speedi sleeves need the mushroom part removed, from recollection there is a line on that peel easy.

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:31 am

parker007 wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 am
I think speedi sleeves need the mushroom part removed, from recollection there is a line on that peel easy.
Yes, I agree, as that is probably what's rubbing and causing the friction.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:50 am

Thanks Jab and Parker. When I installed the yoke to the pinon shaft, I was pleased with the yoke depth as I didn't notice a gap between the pinon seal and the yoke. I was going to remove the collar on the speedi-sleeve (it is scored by the factory) and reinstall, but noticed the actual wear on the shaft part of the sleeve just by turning the yoke by hand. I may decide to try that or another method in the future as I would prefer to have the original F-marked yokes installed on my axles. :D

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:07 pm

Need to get caught-up on posting my recent progress, but recently reflected on my past visit to Bastogne a couple of years ago and my visit to Le Nut's (bar & restaurant) after touring the WW2 sites. Thought I would share a great story from a WWII veteran that I heard during my visit. His name is Vincent Speranza from H CO / 501st PIR / 101st Airborne Division.
Visit the link below to hear his story. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZe2H8nvUAM
Attachments
11.JPG
22.JPG
3.jpg
4.JPG

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:57 pm

Hello,

What an incredible and wonderful story from Vincent !!
Thanks so much for posting, and what a guy, and was famous and didn't even know it :D :D :D :D
He also is wearing both Airborne Division patches, likely having served in both !!

That Beer looks great, served up in helmet mugs :D :D :D :D

Beautiful !!!
The Greatest Generation !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:16 pm

Wow! What a great story! Thanks for sharing! I watched with my 17 year old son who caught the part about peeing in the helmet. I had to explain that although I didn't realize they did that I imagine that they did so to dump it outside of their temporary home. The helmet beer mugs! What a fantastic way to keep a memory alive!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:11 am

Ray & Jeff - glad you enjoyed the story! Wasn't sure how many on the G503 were already aware of that story. I have purchased a few bottles of the Airborne beer, but the cost is steep so I save them for special occasions :lol: :D 8)

As I am waiting for help from my brother to assist on straightening & repairing my frame (he is running my father's automotive collision repair shop since my father had passed), I decided to tackle rebuilding my transfer case. I never realized truly how rewarding this project this for me, but it is difficult at times as I find myself thinking of my father and asking myself how would he tackle this issue? He would've loved to help me restore this jeep. I know he will be proud to see me working on it with my son and my brother.

I jumped in and after spending a significant amount of time removing years of grime and grease, I disassembled the TC. Overall, I thought the condition looked pretty well. But after further inspection, I noticed a fair amount of pitting on the Output Clutch Shaft, Intermediate shaft & bearings, as well as the Intermediate gear. I talked to Scott and was able to get most of the replacement parts through RFP including the thrust washers, however they mentioned that the intermediate gears were out of stock. Must truly give a BIG thanks to Scott and Ron at RFP for their service and support!

My rebuild of the TC quickly came to a halt, however a fellow G member (Joel Gopan) was able to assist. THANK YOU JOEL!!! I purchased an intermediate gear from him that after some minor cleaning, I was able to move forward with the rebuild. I just need to complete installing the safety wire, front yoke and E-brake assembly and then it will be on to tackle the T-84! :P
Attachments
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.jpg
e.jpg
f.jpg
g.jpg
h.jpg
i.jpg
j.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:27 am

I am really pleased with my TC rebuild. Posting a few more photos of the final assembly. Hoping my T-84 rebuild goes just as well.

Noticed that in most TM's photos the spring shift levers are displayed outside of the levers, but before I disassembled my TC, I noticed that they were installed inside of the shift levers. Was this an oversight by someone who had rebuild my TC? Are they supposed to be installed on the outside? I believe, if I were to install them on the outside of the levers, it would force the levers inward and thus reduce the gap where they come into contact with the shift rods. Should I reinstall them to the outside of the springs?
Attachments
g.jpg
a.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
d.JPG
e.jpg
f.jpg

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”