42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: 42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:12 am

Todd, thanks for this Friday morning update to enjoy while sipping my cup of coffee. With the pace you're moving, your tub will be OD before you know it!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am

1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 11:48 am
The rear floor panel seemed to fit nicely, so time to grab ALL clamps and secure it in-place! Once the panel was welded and secure in-place, I removed the sheet metal screws and plug welded those holes as well. Not looking forward to finishing all of the plug welds. :(
Hello Todd,

Happy Thanksgiving !!

How is your jeep coming along , it is looking close with all that body work .

Keep 'em Rolling :D :D !

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:17 am

70th Division wrote:
Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:59 am
The rear floor panel seemed to fit nicely, so time to grab ALL clamps and secure it in-place! Once the panel was welded and secure in-place, I removed the sheet metal screws and plug welded those holes as well. Not looking forward to finishing all of the plug welds. :(
Hello Todd,

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. I hope you too had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. I haven't had a chance to post any recent updates as things have been busy. I recently had to visit Germany for work and was able to take some time to visit Bavaria & Austria once again. This time, I wanted to see the Hohenwerfen Castle that was used during the filming of the 68' movie "Where Eagles Dare". It's one of my favorite movies of WW2 despite the inaccuracies.

Wasn't able to get photos of the outside of the castle, but thought I would share a few photos taken while touring the inside.
Attachments
12.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg
99.jpg
9.jpg
6.jpg
88.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:19 am

Few more photos of boards posted within the castle.
Attachments
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:51 am

Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:17 am
70th Division wrote:
Hello Todd,

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray. I hope you too had an enjoyable Thanksgiving. I haven't had a chance to post any recent updates as things have been busy. I recently had to visit Germany for work and was able to take some time to visit Bavaria & Austria once again. This time, I wanted to see the Hohenwerfen Castle that was used during the filming of the 68' movie "Where Eagles Dare". It's one of my favorite movies of WW2 despite the inaccuracies.

Wasn't able to get photos of the outside of the castle, but thought I would share a few photos taken while touring the inside.

Hello Todd,

That is an awesome post right there !!

It must have been a great trip, and have always enjoyed the great movie !!
It was so well done, and really was well filmed .

There is an interview with the great actor Derren Nesbitt, who played the Gestapo officer, that is well worth watching.
He recalled many great moments of filming the movie and some funny events as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0P0HUgC_1M

Someday I will visit the castle, looks like a great adventure !

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:18 am

70th Division wrote:
Tue Dec 06, 2022 7:51 am
70th Division wrote:

Hello Todd,

Happy Thanksgiving !!

Best Regards,
Ray

Hello Todd,

That is an awesome post right there !!

It must have been a great trip, and have always enjoyed the great movie !!
It was so well done, and really was well filmed .

There is an interview with the great actor Derren Nesbitt, who played the Gestapo officer, that is well worth watching.
He recalled many great moments of filming the movie and some funny events as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0P0HUgC_1M

Someday I will visit the castle, looks like a great adventure !

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray for sharing the link. I enjoyed it.

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:24 am

This time, I wanted to see the Hohenwerfen Castle that was used during the filming of the 68' movie "Where Eagles Dare". It's one of my favorite movies of WW2 despite the inaccuracies.
Todd

Too cool!! Where Eagles Dare is one of my favorite WWII movies, too. I read the book as a kid and have probably seen the movie at least a dozen times or more. Definitely a location I'd like to get to of these days!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:26 am

With the cold weather and snow rapidly approaching Western NY, I decided to prime and paint the tub as most of it was finished but still a fair amount of work needed at the back-end. With the noted corrosion to the rear storage box floors and heavily damaged quarter panel corners, I took the approach that I can make the repairs now and during the winter and then prime/paint the repairs. Besides, it will leave me with plenty of time over the winter to then install the body, fuel tank, and electrical system so that I will finish the jeep by spring time. Well, it sounds good that this time and hopefully I achieve this goal. :lol: :D

After sanding the entire tub down by hand, I am now feeling my age and should've recruited my 17 year-old son to assist. :roll: :shock: :lol:
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 am

After the OD, I can still see some of the "character" that I decided to keep. :D Getting closer....
Attachments
a.jpg
a1.jpg
a2.jpg
a3.jpg
a4.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Dec 07, 2022 5:38 pm

Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:29 am
After the OD, I can still see some of the "character" that I decided to keep. :D Getting closer....
Hello,

Wow that paint looks great !!
Very nice work and progress, she is coming right along :D :D

Keep up your great restoration works, you keep moving it forward !!

Nice tinning by the way !

We both have Moore Jeeps, I wonder how many others are out there ?
You will have the first restored one so far that I know of on the G .

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am

Thanks Ray. Appreciate the comments!

My goal is to finish the restoration efforts by next Spring. My remaining obstacle is the repairs on the tub corners as I assume it will take a fair amount of time shaping the sheet metal and welding it in place. I'm thinking I can complete patching/welding/painting the tub rear corners and rear panel in January, install the tub & install the electrical harness in February, then the leave the remaining assembly of the fenders/hood/seats and misc items in March. It's hard to believe that I am nearing the "finish line" after ~4 years. I have truly learned a lot along this journey! :P

I have noticed that since I have started the project, is that original parts are becoming more difficult to find/source? Is this your experience as well?

Amazing how time consuming it is for painting small parts and the hardware. I tested the high/low beam floor switch and works well. Can anyone confirm if this is an original switch or "after market" switch? If it is an original switch, are there any recommendations as to how best to connect the switch to the wiring harness as it has eyelet connectors?
Attachments
z.jpg
z1.jpg
z3.jpg

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:01 am

Those are the typical GPW type bullet connectors. Your GPW harness should have those on it instead of ring terminals. If you need to cut off the rings and solder on the bullets, I think you need the 0.180's. http://www.riwire.com/ Image
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:40 am

Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:54 am
Thanks Ray. Appreciate the comments!

My goal is to finish the restoration efforts by next Spring. My remaining obstacle is the repairs on the tub corners as I assume it will take a fair amount of time shaping the sheet metal and welding it in place. I'm thinking I can complete patching/welding/painting the tub rear corners and rear panel in January, install the tub & install the electrical harness in February, then the leave the remaining assembly of the fenders/hood/seats and misc items in March. It's hard to believe that I am nearing the "finish line" after ~4 years. I have truly learned a lot along this journey! :P

I have noticed that since I have started the project, is that original parts are becoming more difficult to find/source? Is this your experience as well?

Amazing how time consuming it is for painting small parts and the hardware. I tested the high/low beam floor switch and works well. Can anyone confirm if this is an original switch or "after market" switch? If it is an original switch, are there any recommendations as to how best to connect the switch to the wiring harness as it has eyelet connectors?
Hello Todd,

That is great work !

As we learn the little parts sometimes take as much time to restore as the larger parts, as there are so many !

Great schedule as well !

Yes I have noticed that parts do seem to get in shorter supply especially original or nos, but even worse, those prices have been climbing worse than inflation !!
I am sure Jeff has noticed the same thing as well.
I was lucky that today a neighbor brought me an original GPW generator that he paid $50 for at a car parts big meeting in Daytona.
He delivered it and I gave him $50 for it, as he will keep looking for a 12 V one for his 55 CJ5.
Even many new JMP parts were delayed the last couple years due to the virus issues, and they are even out of stock of many key parts, still.

Ron has started getting containers full of parts brought in, but even that has taken more time than expected during shipping.
Finding original parts is always a good thing, and Barrie in England has been a huge help in locating parts for me at Euro vendors, that do not even exist here in the USA anymore.

I would try to get parts when you see them as they likely don't get cheaper with time.
Tires as well, wow prices are climbing on Dodge tires, and I am sure jeep tires as well.

Keep up your great work !!

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:31 pm

JAB wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:01 am
Those are the typical GPW type bullet connectors. Your GPW harness should have those on it instead of ring terminals. If you need to cut off the rings and solder on the bullets, I think you need the 0.180's. http://www.riwire.com/ Image
Thanks Jeff and Ray. I will need to check my harness that I purchased from Ron.

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:38 am

Been awhile since my last post. Recognizing the need to replace both toolbox floors & rear panel due to the bubba repairs and severe corrosion, I decided to prime/paint my tub in the fall, complete the tub repairs during the winter, then plan to prime/paint the impacted areas in the later winter-spring. This plan would allow me to continue making progress and not sit idle during the winter. Looking back, I would've preferred to wait to prime/paint the whole tub after all repairs were completed, but wanted to maximize time & effort on the jeep as I don't spend alot of time outdoors in the cold weather. :lol:

The toolbox floors came out with minimal effort as the driver side was crushed pretty bad. The rear section was hit pretty badly as in addition to the damaged rear panel, both quarter-panel corners were crushed pretty bad. The photos do not show the true impact of the damage. Purchased new toolbox floor panels from Ron and they were a great fit. Hard to believe that it's almost 4 years since I started the project, and is exciting to think that I will have a finished piece of WW2 history soon! :D
Attachments
T1.jpg
T2.jpg
T3.jpg
Tool1.jpg
C1.jpg
T4.jpg
C2.jpg
C3.jpg

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”