42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: 42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

Post by 70th Division » Mon May 23, 2022 8:55 am

1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am
Thanks Ray! It has been some time since my last post, but efforts have been on-going and slower than expected due to multiple reasons such as work, family, house projects, etc. But, what I have learned by reading and viewing updates here on the G, is that persistence pays off! I'm currently working on finishing the fenders and seats. Hope to finish them soon and will post an update soon, but thought I would share my work completed on my hood.

Truly sad, as after using fine grit sandpaper on both sides of the hood, I discovered that the previous owner/s at some point had ultimately stripped it down to bare metal and unfortunately, removed the white & blue numbers. Sigh... :( The previous primer & paint applied had to be removed once again as it appeared that the metal surface was not prepared well to receive the primer/paint. Rather than start with sand blasting the hood for fear of warping the metal, I had to sand the hood down to bare metal and found multiple layers of bondo and primer. Bubba strikes again!

I also noticed a small crown in the front of the hood where the 2 pieces are joined in the middle. I originally considered that it might be part of the hood design to help channel water off the hood. :lol: I didn't notice any damage that would force the hood to bend in that direction and against the weld. You can see the slight bend in one of the photos. So, I decided to leave it alone, as it really isn't that noticeable and I didn't want to do anything that would compromise the integrity of the hood.

But after getting the hood down to bare metal, I reluctantly applied a small amount of body filler to the front before priming and painting. Overall, I am pleased with how the hood turned out.

Hello Todd,

The hood looks great !
I enjoy working on hoods, as they actually take "correction" well .

I had some dents and bends like that, and I put a piece of metal on one side, and tapped with a round flat hammer on the other side.
The dents came out, and looked pretty good after I was done.

Keep us posted, and keep up your great restoration works !!

When you get to installing the rubber hood blocks, they will really be a nice touch !

I did see Ron has GPW "F" marked rubber blocks available, if you don't already have some for the jeep.
(JMP Product)

Best Regards,
Ray

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:50 am

Lookin' good, Todd!!
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue May 24, 2022 5:24 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 8:55 am
Mon May 23, 2022 7:15 am
Hello Todd,

The hood looks great !
I enjoy working on hoods, as they actually take "correction" well .

I had some dents and bends like that, and I put a piece of metal on one side, and tapped with a round flat hammer on the other side.
The dents came out, and looked pretty good after I was done.

Keep us posted, and keep up your great restoration works !!

When you get to installing the rubber hood blocks, they will really be a nice touch !

I did see Ron has GPW "F" marked rubber blocks available, if you don't already have some for the jeep.
(JMP Product)

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray and Sean!

I had purchased rubber F-marked hood blocks through Ron. The rubber has a slight "chalk" appearance and was debating on whether I should apply a light "dust" coat of OD. But, might expect that the paint on the rubber would crack over time.

Did these rubber blocks get painted?
Attachments
Block.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 pm

Very nice !!!!

Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:25 pm

70th Division wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:27 pm
Very nice !!!!

Todd,
I don't think they got painted .

They also look good as they, and once on the jeeps, look great !!

Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:19 am

Thanks Ray!

Noticed the spring in my hood latch was not working, and needed to salvage the latch as it is a period correct latch based upon the squared edge. Required a fair amount of effort to clean, and repair, but glad I was able to save it by flaring the end of the shaft to secure it to the spring and then rivet the head.

Primed/painted the hardware separately :x (Never a fun task) and decided to install the F-marked bolts to secure the latches. However, I have since discovered that the F-marked bolts are incorrect to be installed at this area and will need to have those removed with un-marked bolts. :roll:
Attachments
latcha.jpg
latch1.jpg
Latches3.jpg
Bolts2.jpg
hood2.jpg
hood1.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:08 am

Driver and passenger fenders were not in terrible condition, but was in need of the "typical" repairs such as filling in Bubba's extra holes and the ear tabs to secure the fender to frame, were broken off. The biggest area of concern was the passenger fender as Bubba decided to cut off areas of the bracket that is used to secure the voltage regulator. Fortunately, I was able to secure a donor section, but it still presented a lot of challenges and difficulty in replacing that section. Overall, I am satisfied with the repair to the fender, but spent a lot more time than originally planned. Still... it feels good being able to salvage the original and having to avoid repo. :D
Attachments
F1.jpg
F1aa.jpg
F1a.jpg
F1b.jpg
F2.jpg
F5.jpg
F6.jpg
F8.jpg
F7.jpg
B11.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:12 am

After media blasting, found a fair amount of "character" marks and decided to leave them. Amazing how the star washers had left their mark. :lol:
Attachments
B3.jpg
B2.jpg
b1.jpg
B4.jpg
B5.jpg
F10.jpg
F9.jpg
F1aaa.jpg
FF2.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:24 am

Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:19 am
Thanks Ray!

Noticed the spring in my hood latch was not working, and needed to salvage the latch as it is a period correct latch based upon the squared edge. Required a fair amount of effort to clean, and repair, but glad I was able to save it by flaring the end of the shaft to secure it to the spring and then rivet the head.

Primed/painted the hardware separately :x (Never a fun task) and decided to install the F-marked bolts to secure the latches. However, I have since discovered that the F-marked bolts are incorrect to be installed at this area and will need to have those removed with un-marked bolts. :roll:
Hello Todd,

Your work looks outstanding !

Can you go into a little more detail on the actual repair of the hood latch ?
What did you use as a cross pin to attach the handle ?

You flared the main shaft of the handle, did you heat it then hammer ?

I haven't seen such a restoration before so am curious, as I have a few similar condition latches :D .
You did a great restoration of that latch !
Your hood looks beautiful, as far as the bolts go, the ones I have on a few GPWs are plain with no F script.
Everything online also states that the bolts were plain.

A neighbor did drive his December 42 GPW here a while back, unrestored, but the body was swapped out many years ago to an early cj2a body.

His hood latch bolts were F marked :shock: .

Likely they were replaced with F bolts, but I just wanted to say I saw the bolts, for whatever that may mean .
I wonder if anyone else has ever seen the F marked bolts on their GPW latches ?

I don't have any F marked hood latch bolts on several GPW jeeps I have.

Keep up your good works, and I really like your well decorated work shop !!! :D :D :D

Also, is that an original Bastogne sign ?
It looks like it !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:33 am

Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:12 am
After media blasting, found a fair amount of "character" marks and decided to leave them. Amazing how the star washers had left their mark. :lol:
Hello Todd,

WoW !!!

BRAVO on the fender restorations !!!!!

Bubba really hacked that regulator mount up !!!

What a nice job of restoring those you have done, super nice repairs :D :D :D

I always like to see the original fenders repaired and restored, that many would toss aside and replace.
This is what it is all about, restoring the originals, inch by inch, pretty soon it is looking great and ready or another 75 years of jeeping !

Keep us posted, you are making great progress , and doing the right way .

Best Regards,
Ray

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 am

Looking GREAT!!! Thanks for the updates!!!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:10 am

[/quote]

Hello Todd,

Your work looks outstanding !

Can you go into a little more detail on the actual repair of the hood latch ?
What did you use as a cross pin to attach the handle ?

You flared the main shaft of the handle, did you heat it then hammer ?

I haven't seen such a restoration before so am curious, as I have a few similar condition latches :D .
You did a great restoration of that latch !
Your hood looks beautiful, as far as the bolts go, the ones I have on a few GPWs are plain with no F script.
Everything online also states that the bolts were plain.

A neighbor did drive his December 42 GPW here a while back, unrestored, but the body was swapped out many years ago to an early cj2a body.

His hood latch bolts were F marked :shock: .

Likely they were replaced with F bolts, but I just wanted to say I saw the bolts, for whatever that may mean .
I wonder if anyone else has ever seen the F marked bolts on their GPW latches ?

I don't have any F marked hood latch bolts on several GPW jeeps I have.

Keep up your good works, and I really like your well decorated work shop !!! :D :D :D

Also, is that an original Bastogne sign ?
It looks like it !!

Best Regards,
Ray
[/quote]
JAB wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:49 am
Looking GREAT!!! Thanks for the updates!!!
Thanks Ray and Jeff!
I am disappointed that I didn't capture more photos of my restoration of not only the hood latch, but of my repair to my passenger fender! :x Seems like I was focused on "gettin her done!" and forgot to take photos along the way. But, after removing the spring cap, I had heated the shaft up a little bit to peen the end to prevent the shaft from pulling through the spring. I had then tacked the edge to the spring. Once the cap was put on, I had to pull the shaft/spring tight, while my cousin had used a rivet gun to put a rivet through the head that had protruded through both sides of the latch head. Not an easy feat, nor repair. :lol:

But to respond to your question about the Bastogne sign. Prior to the pandemic, I had an opportunity to visit Europe and decided to take a few days on vacation to visit Bastogne. It was an amazing and truly memorable experience! Highly recommended!!! Unfortunately, I didn't have much time but was able to cover as much ground as possible. One of my highlights was visiting the Bastogne War Museum.

(https://www.bastognewarmuseum.be/vie-privee/)

I had spent most of my time outside admiring the memorial and when I discovered that they had a museum on the inside, I had little time left. Could've easily spent a full day or two there! They have an amazing amount of relics from the Battle of the Bulge including the original Bastogne sign captured during the war. Looking back, it truly was a humbling experience. Truly grateful for all those who serve and who have fought for our country!
Attachments
c4.JPG
c22.JPG
c5.JPG
c7.JPG
c3.JPG
d1.JPG
c1.JPG
c2.JPG
c33.JPG
c1a.JPG

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:11 am

Few more photos from the Bastogne War Museum....
Attachments
e5.JPG
e2.JPG
a.JPG
b.JPG
e11.JPG
e1.JPG

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:49 am

Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:11 am
Few more photos from the Bastogne War Museum....
Hello Todd,

Outstanding pictures of the beautiful Bastogne Monument and Museum there.
It is truly one of the finest Tributes anywhere to US Soldiers who fought and won the Battle of the Bulge.
The local people also paid a very high price during the war in that region as well.

I highly recommend that everyone make an effort to see this Monument, and all the many Monuments throughout Europe.
My Father took us here to this Monument and the great Bastogne Museum in 1985 when returning to battlefields in the Alsace, about an hour south of Bastogne, where the "other" Battle of the Bulge was commencing,at the same time, Operation Nordwind.

There was in 1985 , a beautiful restored jeep parked in the town square near the restored, blown up, tank monument.
That jeep has been there every year since when ever we returned, and was there in 2008.
It was to advertise another little , but very nice, museum just down from the square.

Thanks for sharing your pictures !!

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:54 am

Was able to secure a NOS Ford driver BO light! :D But upon installing the driver's side fender, ran into alignment difficulty with the top fender tab that mounts to the frame. Received great feedback from the great folks on the "G" and was able to make a minor adjustment.

Klaas wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:08 am
Went to the jeep just now and this is how the fender tab is fixed on GPW17331.
It is just a bit dirtier than on your vehicle :D
70th Division wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:50 am
Wed Jul 06, 2022 7:33 am
Hello,
Upon installing my driver's side fender to the frame, I noticed that the tab where the fender meets the frame is not aligned properly. :x I still need to insert the anti-squeak pad under the tab, but feel that it still wouldn't align correctly as the height of the head of the shock rivet, would still interfere with proper alignment. The fender aligns perfectly with the grille and to the rest of the frame, but the tab does not align and the fender did not appear to have any prior modifications to that area. This bolt was never installed when I had purchased the jeep and was wondering if I am missing something? Does anyone have a photo of this bolt installed that they could share?

Hello Todd,

That does look like it shouldn't be like that, but ......
It should.

I looked at my 1942 GPW this morning , unrestored, and it is mounted like this, kind of awkward appearing.

The tab gets a pad under it, which raises it up to fit a little better to clear the rivet head .

Here is a picture I just took on my Jeep.

Resized_20220707_104208.jpeg

Just like on the GPW Klaas has pictured.

I learn something new everyday 😁😁 !

Looking at it I would not have guessed it !

Here is a pic of the oval shaped hole on my current restoration project driver's fender.
Resized_20220707_093552.jpeg
In case you wanted to weld up the end of your oval hole that is wallowed out with a little piece of metal ?

Keep up your excellent restoration, and keep us posted.

Best Regards,
Ray
Attachments
BO1.jpg
BO3.jpg
bo22.jpg
DFender7.jpg
DFender4.jpg
DFender6.jpg
BOFinish2.jpg
BOFinish1.jpg
BOFinish3.jpg