42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: 42 GPW Script 26708 Restoration

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 am

Decided to leave the 1/4" bracket that was welded into the driver quarter-panel. Not sure how long ago the modification was made, but guessing that it was likely installed to support the antennae mounting bracket. If I decide to mount the bracket at a later time, it will provide greater support.

Made sure to have a good clean & shiny metal welding surface and that the weld had good heat penetration. Feel my welding skills are getting better and in good time as I plan on attacking the rear panel next!
Attachments
C4.jpg
C5.jpg
T5.jpg
T6.jpg
T7.jpg
T8.jpg
T9.jpg
T10.jpg

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am

1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 am
Decided to leave the 1/4" bracket that was welded into the driver quarter-panel. Not sure how long ago the modification was made, but guessing that it was likely installed to support the antennae mounting bracket. If I decide to mount the bracket at a later time, it will provide greater support.

Made sure to have a good clean & shiny metal welding surface and that the weld had good heat penetration. Feel my welding skills are getting better and in good time as I plan on attacking the rear panel next!
Hello Todd,
Wow !!
Excellent work, and plenty of area to work with !

It looks great, I am glad you are back to work on the body, it should be done soon, and driving again :D :D !
Keep us posted on your repairs. looking forward to them.

You are now a professional G503 welder !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raflad

Post by Raflad » Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:02 am

Excellent. Looking great, keep the updates coming!
Adam Smith
GPW 80535, 11-19-42
MBT 2470, 8-42, USA #0160905

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am

70th Division wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:52 am
Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:44 am

Hello Todd,
Wow !!
Excellent work, and plenty of area to work with !

It looks great, I am glad you are back to work on the body, it should be done soon, and driving again :D :D !
Keep us posted on your repairs. looking forward to them.

You are now a professional G503 welder !!

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray! I had also just finished welding the rear panel on and plan on welding the rear panel support brackets. I was able to procure a couple of NOS bracket plates with mounting holes. From my limited research, I noticed the majority of them were welded on and only a few were actually bolted into the tool box sides. Guess, it depended upon if it was a field modification vs. factory install. AND from a few of the brackets that were welded, I noticed that they were welded in different areas to the rear panel.

I don't believe my May 42 jeep would have these brackets installed from the factory, but if anyone can respond with the rationale as to weld vs. bolt, installation, that would be great.
Attachments
B1.png

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 am

Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am

I don't believe my May 42 jeep would have these brackets installed from the factory, but if anyone can respond with the rationale as to weld vs. bolt, installation, that would be great.
I'm working on two script GPW's right now, which would not have had these brackets from the factory, and am making the same considerations. I'm leaning toward leaving them as I found them, however they might be. I think I recall seeing the instructions for the upgrade kit posted somewhere here on the G so if you can find them you could make your decision on weld/bolt based on what they say.

Here's some info to check; viewtopic.php?f=4&t=314106

My other two body tubs are unavailable to check right now (I'm bringing them in to the shop on Saturday) but my script "parts tub" has them bolted on with five 3/8 bolts each. If the other two tubs have anything different I'll post that here on Saturday after I get them into the shop.
IMG_0996.jpg
Edit; The other two script tubs are as they left the factory, no bracing. I will try to make two good tubs out of the three so I'm still uncertain how I will proceed as far these gussets. I'm leaning toward not installing them and putting them on a "pile" of parts I would bring to displays where I show the gas can and bracket, fender mounted BOD light/harness/switch, trailer socket and add-on harness, pintle hook eye bolts, etc. to put on display as items that were added as upgrades during the production evolution of the "standard" jeep.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:58 am

JAB wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 am

I'm working on two script GPW's right now, which would not have had these brackets from the factory, and am making the same considerations. I'm leaning toward leaving them as I found them, however they might be. I think I recall seeing the instructions for the upgrade kit posted somewhere here on the G so if you can find them you could make your decision on weld/bolt based on what they say.

My other two body tubs are unavailable to check right now (I'm bringing them in to the shop on Saturday) but my script "parts tub" has them bolted on with five 3/8 bolts each. If the other two tubs have anything different I'll post that here on Saturday after I get them into the shop. IMG_0996.jpg

Edit; The other two script tubs are as they left the factory, no bracing. I will try to make two good tubs out of the three so I'm still uncertain how I will proceed as far these gussets. I'm leaning toward not installing them and putting them on a "pile" of parts I would bring to displays where I show the gas can and bracket, fender mounted BOD light/harness/switch, trailer socket and add-on harness, pintle hook eye bolts, etc. to put on display as items that were added as upgrades during the production evolution of the "standard" jeep.
I need to clarify something here. Although mine were installed with 3/8" bolts, it's obvious they were meant to be installed with 5/16" bolts. These were installed by forcing 3/8-16 bolts into holes made to clear a 5/16 bolt. They sort of self-tapped and they didn't even bother installing nuts. Luckily for me, the one correctly sized bolt was an F-scripted 5/16 bolt that I can use appropriately. See the thread damage from forcing the 3/8 bolts in to the smaller holes in the pictures. Also, the kit must have included two sleeves (that do clear a 3/8 bolt) as one was remaining, stuck in the gap. None of the bolts connecting the braces to the rear panel were present so I don't know what size they were.
IMG_1025.jpg
IMG_1026.jpg
IMG_1027.jpg
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:34 am

JAB wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:58 am
JAB wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:35 am

My other two body tubs are unavailable to check right now (I'm bringing them in to the shop on Saturday) but my script "parts tub" has them bolted on with five 3/8 bolts each. If the other two tubs have anything different I'll post that here on Saturday after I get them into the shop. IMG_0996.jpg

I need to clarify something here. Although mine were installed with 3/8" bolts, it's obvious they were meant to be installed with 5/16" bolts. These were installed by forcing 3/8-16 bolts into holes made to clear a 5/16 bolt. They sort of self-tapped and they didn't even bother installing nuts. Luckily for me, the one correctly sized bolt was an F-scripted 5/16 bolt that I can use appropriately. See the thread damage from forcing the 3/8 bolts in to the smaller holes in the pictures. Also, the kit must have included two sleeves (that do clear a 3/8 bolt) as one was remaining, stuck in the gap. None of the bolts connecting the braces to the rear panel were present so I don't know what size they were.

IMG_1025.jpgIMG_1026.jpgIMG_1027.jpg
Great information to share Jeff! After reading your post, I found the bracket installation diagram within my files that another member had previously posted here on the G, unfortunately I cannot find the individual's name that had uploaded this document to provide him with the recognition/credit for the reference.

I had decided to weld these brackets to my rear panel, as my tub had shown previous evidence of the welded areas on the toolboxes for the bracket installation. From researching these brackets, I noticed that the weld pattern too was inconsistent in the areas where the bracket attaches to the toolboxes and rear panel.

Best regards,

Todd
Attachments
22.png

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:23 am

Ok, so made good progress with welding in both toolbox replacement floors and rear panel. Although I was able to accurately match the rounded bend on the quarterpanel, I had a difficult time getting the appropriate bend in the 18 gauge metal. :x After getting past that obstacle, I was able to get both replacement corners fitted and welded into place. My goal has always been to try to salvage as much as the original metal skin as possible, but the corners were beyond repairs. The jeep was hit multiple times in the rear, and it was a struggle to get everything lined up properly. Whew...
Attachments
1a.jpg
1b.jpg
1c.jpg
1d.jpg
1e.jpg
1f.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am

Hopefully, RFP or JMP will consider fabricating these corners and offering them for sale in the future. Fingers crossed...
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am

And now more grinding work to be done....
Attachments
10.jpg
9.jpg
11.jpg

JAB
G-General
G-General

Post by JAB » Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:29 pm

Thanks Todd! I’ll print that off and use it as part of my display!

With that set of instructions I can see that in the case of my jeep they used the right hardware but drilled the holes too small. Must have been drilling by hand like the anti-decapitation device installatioon video I saw last week!

You’re doing a great job! My bodies are even worse and I’m inspired by you and Ray to keep moving forward. Right now I’m still in the disassemble and assess phase, occasionally being sidetracked by painting and installing other parts when the paint dries.

Maybe your source? viewtopic.php?f=4&t=301254&p=1748136&hi ... 6#p1748136
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=91068&hilit=rear+pa ... ackets+GPW
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:01 pm

Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am
WoW !!!!

Todd,
Your work is amazing, well done, you are making it look easy :D :D !!!!!!
You are a great inspiration to us all, and how we can improve our efforts watching your example and craftsmanship !
Keep up your great work, she is looking beautiful, on the way to being fully restored.
Have you noticed your skill level going up, as you make more progress ?

Best Regards,
Ray

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:41 am

Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
Hopefully, RFP or JMP will consider fabricating these corners and offering them for sale in the future. Fingers crossed...
Todd, those look great! Maybe you need to become the guy who produces and sells those corners? Side business maybe?? :wink:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:31 am

70th Division wrote:
Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:01 pm
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am
WoW !!!!

Todd,
Your work is amazing, well done, you are making it look easy :D :D !!!!!!
You are a great inspiration to us all, and how we can improve our efforts watching your example and craftsmanship !
Keep up your great work, she is looking beautiful, on the way to being fully restored.
Have you noticed your skill level going up, as you make more progress ?

Best Regards,
Ray
Thanks Ray! In the absence of my father, I can't stress enough how blessed I am to have this forum to help & assist me at each step of my restoration. The information shared on this site is invaluable and hopefully, this information will be available for many years to come to help others in preserving MV's WW2 history.

My welding skills have improved since I first started and although I am getting better, still a long way to go. :D
twinflyer17 wrote:
Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:41 am
Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:32 am
Todd, those look great! Maybe you need to become the guy who produces and sells those corners? Side business maybe?? :wink:
That's funny Sean. While I am sure there could be a good demand for these corners, I wouldn't want to fabricate them once again, as with the amount of time I spent on them, I would be out-of-business shortly thereafter. :lol:

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:46 am

I find the Team G503 videos on youtube extremely useful, but apparently I can't get enough material on Jeep restorations, so I find myself watching this "old" set of Military Jeep Restoration dvd's (3-disc set) from time-to-time, that I had purchased years ago. :lol: They still provide useful information and insight to restoring MV's. There are a few vendors in the dvds that provide an overview on the components and then they switch to showing sections of the facilitator restoring his jeep. It's too bad our host (RFP) isn't in the dvd's. Maybe, RFP will consider making a new Jeep restoration DVD set so that we can avoid having to skip through youtube commercials & advertisements. :lol:

It is worth noting though as my GPW did not have the original rear seat springs, I had called Ron and he had provided me with the correct rear seat springs for my GPW. The rear springs for the Willys MB are more square and the GPW springs are more rounded. I attached Ron's photos and links for reference, so that others can purchase the appropriate springs for their vehicle/s as the part number is identical.

https://www.rfjp.com/p-2068-rear-seat-r ... 0-gpw.aspx (GPW spring 1st photo)

https://www.rfjp.com/p-1125-rear-seat-r ... a2830.aspx (Willys MB spring 2nd photo)
Attachments
1.jpg
gpw1.jpg
gpw1.jpg (6.1 KiB) Viewed 9640 times
gpw2.jpg
gpw2.jpg (7.33 KiB) Viewed 9640 times

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”