Willys MB 247060

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Dear All,

I purchased my MB Willys # 247060 DOD 7-5-43, 2 years ago and recently began the restoration. I found it in France and history unknown until now.
I guess it stayed in farm during several year due to rear panel modification. All parts are US excepted starter 6V and steering gear are wof. Looks like the chassis is original with the body. Frame S/N 247060 and Body S/N 146191.
Unfortunetly it has CJ Engine. Here some pics.
Someone could help me to find the Hood registration number, please.
Your cooperation will be appreciate. Many thanks by adance.
Attachments
Body N° 146191.jpg
Body N° 146191.jpg (85.54 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
chassis.jpg
chassis.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Standard body.jpg
Standard body.jpg (77.66 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
body.jpg
body.jpg (105.74 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Rear panel.jpg
Rear panel.jpg (104.67 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
interior.jpg
interior.jpg (105.63 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
CJ engine.jpg
CJ engine.jpg (134.8 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
Frame number.jpg
Frame number.jpg (70.61 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
data plate.jpg
data plate.jpg (80.69 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
43 Willys MB.jpg
43 Willys MB.jpg (83.79 KiB) Viewed 1365 times
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

70th Division
G-Captain
G-Captain
Posts: 744
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:29 pm

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by 70th Division » Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello,

You have a great looking jeep there !!!
There is a database out there somewhere that has many jeeps listed, with their hood numbers and serial numbers.
Likely someone can chime in with an accurate hood number or one pretty close based on existing known ones, of MB jeeps ,with same date of delivery.

Could the original numbers still be on the hood under the paint ?
If it was not ground down, or sanded off, there could be remnants of the original blue drab numbers, or white larger numbers.
You could try a small area with a flat razor blade knife to see if they are still there ?

I am scraping, very carefully ,my 42 GPW hood, and the numbers are there, and reappearing slowly, I am very happy ! :D :D

Best Regards,

Ray

twinflyer17
G-Major
G-Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm
Location: Aberdeen, MD

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am

Great looking jeep! Post more pictures when able. In regard to the hood number, several members on here will likely chime in and will be able to provide you a relatively close estimate on what the number should be.
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Mark Jesic
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Posts: 1580
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:56 am
Location: Birmingham, England

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by Mark Jesic » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm

JNo, are you sure thats a CJ engine ? It looks a wartime one to me.

JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

70th Division wrote:
Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:35 pm
Hello,

You have a great looking jeep there !!!
There is a database out there somewhere that has many jeeps listed, with their hood numbers and serial numbers.
Likely someone can chime in with an accurate hood number or one pretty close based on existing known ones, of MB jeeps ,with same date of delivery.

Could the original numbers still be on the hood under the paint ?
If it was not ground down, or sanded off, there could be remnants of the original blue drab numbers, or white larger numbers.
You could try a small area with a flat razor blade knife to see if they are still there ?

I am scraping, very carefully ,my 42 GPW hood, and the numbers are there, and reappearing slowly, I am very happy ! :D :D

Best Regards,

Ray
Hello Ray,
Many thanks for prompt reply
I cannot scrap my MB 43 Hood because the previous owner sandblasted the top face but not other side. (Incredible!) In addition, last week I identified an early ford Hood on my jeep.The small "f" appeared on the hinge. After checking all parts, I have several Ford parts on the vehicle. (Hood, passenger seat, bracket headlight right and left, T84 gear box and drive shaft long).
May be this jeep submitted reparation during the war or post war.
Some pics are coming next time.
Kind regards
John
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43


JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm

twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am
Great looking jeep! Post more pictures when able. In regard to the hood number, several members on here will likely chime in and will be able to provide you a relatively close estimate on what the number should be.
Hello,

I'm very pleased about your answer.
In fact, I thought you Americans or Englishmen could provide exactly the registration number. I have been persuaded you're able to have military archives. I hope to find someone with close estimate number.
Some pics on going.
Many thanks for your help and support.
Kind regards
John
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:09 pm

Mark Jesic wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:59 pm
JNo, are you sure thats a CJ engine ? It looks a wartime one to me.
Hello Marc,
Many thanks for your reply.
It looks a wartime one but unfortunatly not. I have Ford early head but CJ (or M38?) post war block but I'm not able to date the engine. Can anyone help me, please? I suppose 8= august / 25= day / B= year ??? I'm not sure. FYI number on the pomp water is missing.

Kind regards
JNo
Attachments
CJ engine reconditionned.jpg
CJ engine reconditionned.jpg (143.79 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
CJ engine casting number.jpg
CJ engine casting number.jpg (131.43 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
CJ engine casting date.jpg
CJ engine casting date.jpg (115.63 KiB) Viewed 1233 times
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Florence,Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by Ralph » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm

JNo..
An (unofficial) estimate, based on your DOD would be within a close range of 20339937.
Ralph

htc
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 12:15 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by htc » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 am

JNo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

May be this jeep submitted reparation during the war or post war.
Hello,

I do not think it would have the original data plates if it were rebuild by the French in La Maltournée after that war.
The data plates would have been replaced and it would have received a MALT number.

Also chassis and tub would not be matching.

The MALT number would also be found back on a small plate on the inside of the chassis in the back 5maybe you can have a look to make sure it is not there?)
I will post a picture of where this MALT number can be found. The picture is for a Hotchkiss M201 but if the French would have been rebuilt a GPW, MB or M201 they would have added the MALT number on that same place that you can find back in the picture:

Image

Greetings
Hans
Living in Belgium
MB 379881
GPW 253827

twinflyer17
G-Major
G-Major
Posts: 940
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:49 pm
Location: Aberdeen, MD

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by twinflyer17 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am

JNo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm
twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am
Great looking jeep! Post more pictures when able. In regard to the hood number, several members on here will likely chime in and will be able to provide you a relatively close estimate on what the number should be.
Hello,

I'm very pleased about your answer.
In fact, I thought you Americans or Englishmen could provide exactly the registration number. I have been persuaded you're able to have military archives. I hope to find someone with close estimate number.
Some pics on going.
Many thanks for your help and support.
Kind regards
John
Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of public serial number information on these old jeeps for us restorers to reference. Fortunately, though, there are guys like Tom Wolboldt who have built their own databases based on their own research
and have the ability to provide exact, or very close estimates of what the hood numbers are. I believe Tom's focus has primarily been on GPW data, but I think he also has MB data, too. Keep your eyes posted for a response from him, or don't hesitate to reach out to him directly to see if he's willing and able to help you out. Either way, someone on here will be able to give you an estimate close enough to the exact number so that you'll be able to proudly paint it on your hood :wink:
Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:37 pm

htc wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 am
JNo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:37 pm

May be this jeep submitted reparation during the war or post war.
Hello,

I do not think it would have the original data plates if it were rebuild by the French in La Maltournée after that war.
The data plates would have been replaced and it would have received a MALT number.

Also chassis and tub would not be matching.

The MALT number would also be found back on a small plate on the inside of the chassis in the back 5maybe you can have a look to make sure it is not there?)
I will post a picture of where this MALT number can be found. The picture is for a Hotchkiss M201 but if the French would have been rebuilt a GPW, MB or M201 they would have added the MALT number on that same place that you can find back in the picture:

Image

Greetings
Hans
Hi Hans,
Many thanks for your comments. I confirm you I didn't find a small plate on the Inside chassis back. I'm sure. So I can guess it had some reparation during the war or during it stayed in farm.
Best regards. JNo
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:46 pm

twinflyer17 wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am
JNo wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:52 pm
twinflyer17 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:37 am
Great looking jeep! Post more pictures when able. In regard to the hood number, several members on here will likely chime in and will be able to provide you a relatively close estimate on what the number should be.
Hello,

I'm very pleased about your answer.
In fact, I thought you Americans or Englishmen could provide exactly the registration number. I have been persuaded you're able to have military archives. I hope to find someone with close estimate number.
Some pics on going.
Many thanks for your help and support.
Kind regards
John
Unfortunately, there isn't a ton of public serial number information on these old jeeps for us restorers to reference. Fortunately, though, there are guys like Tom Wolboldt who have built their own databases based on their own research
and have the ability to provide exact, or very close estimates of what the hood numbers are. I believe Tom's focus has primarily been on GPW data, but I think he also has MB data, too. Keep your eyes posted for a response from him, or don't hesitate to reach out to him directly to see if he's willing and able to help you out. Either way, someone on here will be able to give you an estimate close enough to the exact number so that you'll be able to proudly paint it on your hood :wink:
Hi Sean. thanks for your answer and your tips. I saw your restoration and I'm very impress. I'm going to chass a response from Tom. Just to tell you , great work and well done!
JNo
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

JNo
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:14 am
Location: France

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by JNo » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:19 pm

Ralph wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:53 pm
JNo..
An (unofficial) estimate, based on your DOD would be within a close range of 20339937.
Hello Ralph,
Thanks for your reply.
How did you find your estimate Hood number? Do you know jeepers with close MB serial numbers?
Greetings. JNo
JNo
Willys MB # 247060 DOD 7-5-43

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel
Posts: 1504
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:17 pm
Location: Florence,Kentucky
Contact:

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by Ralph » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:21 pm

JNo,
I owned an MB 4 months earlier than yours which had the original hood number.By adding to that hood number the difference in the two vehicles' frame numbers-you have a plausible number,if they were part of the same WO contract.
Ralph

Chuck Lutz
Gee Addict
Posts: 24715
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:00 am
Location: Novato, CA

Re: Willys MB 247060

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Your engine is a post war based on the block casting as you suspected...It has a rebuild tag from Red River Arsenal in Texarkana, Texas.
So...at least the engine was in the USA on Dec. 12, 1952.

My guess is the jeep was i the USA in service at that time and received that engine and the assorted parts at the same time....or...

It was sold to a civilian after the war who purchased the engine separately at some point in time and installed it. Maybe at the same time that owner installed the other parts.

Bottom line is...it's not a Maltournee jeep at all, it was shipped to Europe by a previous civilian owner. If the French owner can tell you the history of his ownership you will learn more about this jeep than we can tell you outside of it NOT being a Maltournee (French Army) rebuild and that it was probably re-engine by a civilian in the USA...or maybe a military base shop.
Chuck Lutz

GPW 17963 4/24/42 Chester, PA. USA 20113473 (USA est./Tom W.)
GPW 108552 4/17/43 Louisville, KY. USA 20371278 (DOD est./Tom W.)
Bantam T3 4582 10/29/42 USA 0173499 (est.)

Post Reply

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 68Kiwi and 13 guests