Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by MadCoLars » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:57 am

Bought some replacement countershaft bushings and a new shaft for the T84. Bushings are too loose in the countershaft bore and too tight on the actual shaft. Some photos of the old and new along with the spacer.
IMG_8980.JPG
IMG_8980.JPG (133.67 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
IMG_8981.JPG
IMG_8981.JPG (131.71 KiB) Viewed 4903 times
Just ordered another set of bronze floating bushings from another source along with a shaft that has flats machined into it for improved oiling. My old bushings were press fit in the shaft with a spacer, so not sure how these will fit. If they don't work I'm going to source a machine shop to custom make a set. I will post the results of the bushings once they arrive.

The countershaft assembly does have a very slight reduction in bore diameter towards the center as the replacement bushings would fall in and then stop once the hit the narrower section. Not visible in the pic, but it is included for the markings on the gear.
IMG_8982.JPG
IMG_8982.JPG (249.64 KiB) Viewed 4903 times

CharlieGPW
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by CharlieGPW » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 am

This a photo of the bottom side of the transmission skid plate. It is faint, but there appears to be some kind of stencil in white paint. Any other guys with British Jeeps have this stencil and can share what it says?
IMG_8901.JPG
[/quote]

Good Afternoon,

I finally got round to taking a pic of the stencilling on 81YH05 , Both the skid plate and the diff case have the oil OEP number on them.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:49 am

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for posting your great pictures of the stenciling !

Another British Jeep mystery solved !!!
I can almost see that on MadColars skidplate now.

I looked at my skid plate put could not see anything, as there is a lot of grease and aged patina, plus crawling under
the jeep currently was a little hard.
The oep stenciling on my rear axle assembly was a much smaller script, so I will look closer once I get it elevated.

Best Regards,

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:15 am

Charlie, thanks for the great pictures! I didn't realize there was a stencil on the front diff as well.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:35 pm

Frankly I would be taking the counter gear & shaft to a machinist & having tailor made bushes fitted. Make sure neither end thrust have any chance of turning in the case but are locked/secured to it.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:16 am

John, thanks for the advice. That is my next step after evaluating the second set of bushings I ordered. If there is any question about fit or function I will be going custom.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:07 am

Was a good and bad weekend for working on the Willys.
T84 countershaft and bushings that I ordered arrived and worked great. No fitment issues on the shaft or gear.
IMG_8988.JPG
IMG_8988.JPG (221.23 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
IMG_8989.JPG
IMG_8989.JPG (196.64 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Got the transfer case and transmission assembled.
IMG_8990.JPG
IMG_8990.JPG (247.25 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Using some torque values I found on the web for the flywheel bolts (65 ft/lb) I ended up snapping off one of the dowel bolts :twisted: After more web research I found a more appropriate value of 36-40 ft/lb. I should have trusted my instincts when the initial number seemed way too high. So now I get the pleasure of pulling the oil pan and and the rear main cap to install replacement bolts. I ended up ordering a complete bolt and nut set since I probably stretched all of them too much. Since I was ordering parts I also ordered replacement intake and exhaust manifolds.
IMG_8991.JPG
IMG_8991.JPG (221.71 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Super aggrivated I broke the bolt, but happy with the overall progress. Getting very close to having the old girl up and running again.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon May 07, 2018 5:06 am

My son helped me get the engine and drivetrain bolted together and dropped into the Willys this weekend. Found one of the motor mounts was bad so I need to order replacements today.
IMG_9034.JPG
IMG_9034.JPG (241.49 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
IMG_9036.JPG
IMG_9036.JPG (208.54 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
I had purchased some bell housing dowel bolts as the ones that were installed appeared to be standard bolts. Photo of the new bolts, one cleaned up, and the one previously used.
IMG_9033.JPG
IMG_9033.JPG (208.24 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
Photo of the voltage regulator with new wrinkle paint.
IMG_9032.JPG
IMG_9032.JPG (205.54 KiB) Viewed 4694 times
Last edited by MadCoLars on Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon May 07, 2018 5:21 am

Hello,

Beautiful !!!!
I can almost hear it running now !!!!

You are making great progress on this important jeep !!
Keep the pictures coming along with your progress updates :D :D :D
Best Regards,

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon May 07, 2018 8:52 am

Thanks Ray! Seems like this is taking forever to get done, but having the engine installed is a major milestone. I'm trying for sort out fuel line and wire routing on the passenger side. Did some research on G503 and have a better sense of how it should go.

I have seen some different routes for the wire from the ignition box to the firewall. Do you have a photo of how yours is routed? Also, do you have a clip on the firewall brace on the passenger side (see photo below)? In looking back at the old photos there wasn't anything in this clip. It may have had the old fuel line routed here which is different than the routing of the replacement lines I purchased.
IMG_9036 - Copy.JPG
IMG_9036 - Copy.JPG (230.36 KiB) Viewed 4688 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu May 10, 2018 6:46 am

Hello,

I may not be much help here, as my fender is gone, as well as much of the stuff under the hood.

But .... I did absolutely have a clip just like yours, mounted on that gusset brace. I can see the paint outline where it was.
I have the earlier style 1942 squared off gusset on my tub.
Not sure what was in it yet, but clips were on both gussets.
Definitely not a fuel line clip !
The drivers side clip takes a wire assembly, direct from the main wire junction block, but my passenger side area
has everything missing.

Your second fuel line from the filter to the fuel pump goes straight down and clips to the lower inner rear of your passenger fender.

You will see a drill hole in your lower fender inner panel for the clip to attach, which is where the fuel line attaches, then it runs towards the block and around to the front of the block, then to the fuel pump.
There look for more clips to attach it as you go.

Keep up your great work.

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Thu May 10, 2018 9:41 am

Thanks for the response Ray. I think the clip on the firewall brace was indeed for the fuel line. After some feeling around I found a spot that was welded shut where the original fender mounted gas line clip should have been. Going to re-drill this hole to mount the new line. Will leave the old clip on the brace for historical purposes.

Got the engine stay cable installed. My replacement is much smaller than the original and the ball end is smaller as well. It still worked, just not as beefy as the original. I will try to find an original at some point to replace this one.
IMG_9040.JPG
IMG_9040.JPG (221.49 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
Disassembled the clutch linkage and found only one spring (which is just floating around inside the tube) and one cotter pin. Not sure if someone messed with this since the British rebuild, but certainly not the way it was designed. Had to scrape off grease and dirt to even see the other cotter pin holes. Have a rebuild kit on the way for this.
IMG_9043.JPG
IMG_9043.JPG (201.27 KiB) Viewed 4627 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 am

Hello,
That is great, once you re-drill the hole, you can get that fuel line mounted and completed.

Hopefully a British Jeep, Hello Charlie :D :D , owner can again come to the rescue about what was mounted on the passenger gusset clip :D :D :D

There certainly was something there, as I had one on mine, just as you do.
maybe some wiring for the radio suppression, or maybe some British lighting wires ?
It will be interesting to find out, I will check some of my other jeeps to see if they have anything clipped there.

Best Regards,

Ray

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Thu May 24, 2018 7:21 am

Been making some progress on the Willys. Down to a list of final items to finish. Used a die grinder to make modifications to the aftermarket exhaust manifold so it would fit better and opened up the exhaust port castings so they matched the gasket. Had to remove as much as 3/16" in some spots. I will post a photo of the modified ports. The plan is to try and fire it up on Friday, May 25th and have it running for Memorial Day weekend! Getting excited to have this vintage vehicle running and driving again.

CharlieGPW
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by CharlieGPW » Sat May 26, 2018 11:04 pm

Morning,

Coming along nicely, do let me know what you need photos of. I'm popping over to see the Jeep tomorrow so an take some pics.

KR
Charlie

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”