Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by 70th Division » Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:32 pm

Hello,

You are making great progress on your British Jeep !!
Definitely keep it all British and marked as such !!
Look for possible unit insignias on the bottom left and right of the original windshield, they had quite an interesting collection of them, and very creative designs.

Your jeep was bought directly from the factory under a British Government purchase order, and was never a US Military owned jeep,
it was British all the way.
I still think that the British ordered their jeeps with US made Dunlop military jeep tires as part of their purchase request.

Keep us posted, and i hope you get it driving soon !!

Best Regards,

Ray

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:07 am

Madcolars, its quite strange really, over here in England, you rarely see a jeep marked up as British, they are nearly all U.S.A marked(yes 101st Airborne). I think a lot of us like the idea of a jeep being fully American, or Canadian in my case. :D

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:55 am

Hey Mark
Cannot quite agree with you, that you don't see British marked up jeeps. Down at the Mapledurham event/show in August I would say the split was pretty much 50/50 Brit v us. However I'd agree that Less were Brit marked at Victory show.
regards Nick

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:38 am

Hello Mark and Nick,and Madcolars,

With that said, you can imagine how rare a British Jeep is in America !!

Madcolars has one, and I have one as well. I am not aware of others, hopefully there are more out there !

The other known excellent condition British Jeep, was here in USA, that was still very original has been repatriated back to the UK !

How these jeeps got here is a mystery, but I am guessing that the dealer who brought a small batch or two over, must have purchased them from
a sale in the Hamburg, Germany area, or wherever the British sold them to the public in Germany.
My jeep was rebuilt in Germany, and was a jeep in the BAOR, and madcoloars was also a BAOR jeep according the British Archives and their index files.
To my guess, these two both served in northern Germany, and likely arrived there when the British Army captured that entire region during the War .

I have never seen a British jeep restored at any show here in Florida, but I did see a nice Army Land-rover with a display last year.

Hopefully, that will change for the better once these two British Jeeps get up and running again.
No doubt Madcolars will be done first !!

Best Regards,

Ray
USA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:00 am

Hello,

Since this excellent post deals with British Jeeps, I am adding my Key Card from the Archives here.
Sorry for the poor quality of picture, but it was too large the way it was, once I figure a way to get a better pic, I will correct this blurry one.
If anyone needs info a any of these jeeps, I will type it up here, so it can be utilized !!

You will notice a couple Royal Navy Jeeps are listed as well.

photo(110).JPG
photo(110).JPG (129.74 KiB) Viewed 5191 times

Best Regards,

Ray

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:28 am

Nick, it looks like it varies in different parts of the U.K. I was at a show in Evesham earlier in the year and there were about 40 jeeps there. There were a few Hotchkiss" and the rest were all American marked except for two Canadian jeeps ( yes one was mine ). You say its 50/50 at some shows so i will stand corrected. Ray, i look forward to seeing pictures of your jeep when it is finished, good luck with it. :oops:

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:20 am

Mark
You've just given the explanation as to why attendance varies :roll: . A show at Evesham is closer to America and Canada :lol: :wink: :lol:
regards Nick

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:38 am

That explains it all Nick. :lol: :lol: :lol:

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:31 am

Got a couple of long days done in the shop and making good progress. Will post pictures tomorrow. Going to see if I can find some British correct colored paint, may have to get some custom mixed here in the US unless someone knows of a source. I continue to find more and more Ford GPW parts on this rig. Makes me think it is more GPW than MB. I'm trying to keep a list of everything I find and take photos.

All three of my kids have been helping with parts prep, painting and wrenching. We are all excited to see it coming back to life! The kids are learning how to work on vehicle mechanics and also putting their personal effort into this rebuild. They will know they had a part in the build when it's their turn to drive it.

There is a military vehicle preservation association (MVPA) local chapter in Illinois and Minnesota I plan to reach out to. Unfortunately there isn't a chapter in Iowa where I live. Will be fun to attend some events in 2018.

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by Mark Jesic » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:32 am

Madcolars,its great to hear that your kids share your interest, you have bought them up well. I wish mine shared my enthusiasm :cry: There is always the grandchildren though. :)

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:57 am

Progressing on the assembly, but slowed by a few challenges. Installed inner axle seals backwards, even though I knew better, and had to get another set from Ron. Getting the new fuel tank to fit in the old sump and having the driver seat fit is my current hold-up. I have a few things to check and some ideas to try and get it to fit.

During the brake rebuild I found some shoes installed reversed and small (rear) wheel cylinder installed on the passenger front. Managed to save all the hard lines for now, will check everything for leaks when I get to bleeding them.

Rebuilt the steering connecting rod (drag link) after degreasing, blasting and painting. Had issues when installing it with getting the end plugs screwed in far enough to installed the cotter pin. After some struggling and thinking I pulled one of the plugs and compared it to the original. I was surprised to see how much difference in depth there is in the screwdriver slots between the new and old. Cleaned up and installed the old ones with no issues.

It was -9 degrees F this morning, so I'm taking my time in the house sitting by the fireplace today. The engine bay is mostly complete as are the new brakes, wheel bearings, brake/clutch pedal, and under dash wiring. I made some new mounts for the new fuel line under the body as my floor braces are degraded to the point where the old mounting points are trash. Also did some welding repair to the passenger seat. One of the mounts was broken due to the pivot being bound up. Cut a new piece and welded it together after freeing up the pivot. Once the fuel tank and main line is installed I will be moving on to the motor assembly. Not going to make driving it in 2017, but as cold as it is, I can wait.
Attachments
IMG_8490.JPG
New fuel tank with anti-squeak felt straps
IMG_8490.JPG (144.18 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8481.JPG
Broken passenger seat mount
IMG_8481.JPG (120.59 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8482.JPG
Repaired passenger seat mount
IMG_8482.JPG (126.39 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8465.JPG
Ford steering link
IMG_8465.JPG (202.77 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8472.JPG
Jeep on stands
IMG_8472.JPG (207.97 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8479.JPG
Rear axle, 3 Ford carrier bolts
IMG_8479.JPG (194.76 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8476.JPG
Both rear axles are Ford
IMG_8476.JPG (217.3 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8475.JPG
One brake drum is not original
IMG_8475.JPG (239.57 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8464.JPG
Ford master cylinder brace
IMG_8464.JPG (238.71 KiB) Viewed 5060 times
IMG_8463.JPG
Ford master cylinder splash shield
IMG_8463.JPG (244.1 KiB) Viewed 5060 times

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:00 am

Photo of the new (right) and old (left) steering link adjusters. Slot depth in the new one was too shallow to allow installation of the cotter pin.
Attachments
IMG_8477.JPG
Steering link adjusters - Had to use the old ones
IMG_8477.JPG (242.85 KiB) Viewed 5060 times

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 am

GREAT PROGRESS !!!!

Looking like you are on your way :D

I was wondering, did the British jeeps have the same WW2 shade of paint as US Jeeps from the factory ?

The post war British rebuilds, they then painted them a medium forest green.

Your jeep appears to have the olive drab paint on it, not the later post war British forest green.
Also can you post a picture of the underside of your hood, as that looks like a nice shade of olive drab ?

My frame is painted in a British Olive Drab, that looks nice, but the body is the forest green.

I like the WW2 olive drab the best for my jeep :D

Soon ..... once I finish my jeep barn and shop I will get on my jeeps !!!!!! Soon :D :D :D :D :D

Best Regards,

Ray

jeepfinger
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jeepfinger » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:06 pm

70th Division wrote:
Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:51 am
The post war British rebuilds, they then painted them a medium forest green.
Ray,
I'm no expert :roll: but I think the colour is called Bronze Green, but I could be wrong.

Dave
Dave Boocock
GPW 41158 June 19 1942
Bantam T3 9555 1/11/1943 USA 0258448
BSA WDM20 Sept 1940 C4343114

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:11 pm

Hello Dave,

You are by far more expert than me :D :D :D !!!!

I am just going by what is on my British jeep, and it looks like a medium forest green, but it has been weathered as well.

The other real nice OD shade that is on the frame that I have cleaned off, may that be the bronze Green ?

It is a very nice shade of od, but different that US olive drab.

I have been wondering if Britain, with all that was going on during the War, actually got a British od paint specification from
the Willys and Ford factory,
along with US made Dunlop 600x16 Military S-3 marked jeep tires, ( Dunlop being a British Company with tire factories in the USA )
or if there was no possible way to order British Jeeps except with US OD ?

It would be interesting to find out, out of curiosity if anyone knows.

Best regards for the New Year to You and All ,

Ray

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”