Iowa Willys MB Project

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Re: Iowa Willys MB Project

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:08 am

I mentioned in an earlier post I would show some pictures of the new manifolds and the modifications I made. The intake manifold is a nice reproduction unit. The exhaust manifold I got was not. The higher quality reproduction exhaust manifold was not in stock at that time. Much rougher casting and the ports were smaller than the block openings and the gasket openings. I used a carbide bit in a die grinder to remove some of the excess casting to open the exhaust ports up in the manifold. You can see some of the work in the photos below.
IMG_9082.JPG
IMG_9082.JPG (128.18 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
IMG_9083.JPG
IMG_9083.JPG (134.76 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
The other issue was the height difference between the two manifolds. The exhaust manifold flange was thinner than the intake manifold flange. I experimented with washers cut in half to make up the difference. I wonder if the higher quality reproduction unit would have matched better.
IMG_9078.JPG
IMG_9078.JPG (171.35 KiB) Viewed 5114 times
IMG_9079.JPG
IMG_9079.JPG (147.83 KiB) Viewed 5114 times

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:18 pm

Bring it over and I will machine them to match for you.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Fri May 03, 2019 11:13 am

Well, my driving the old Willys was short lived. During a very brief drive the motor locked up on me. The old girl must not be ready to hit the roads again!! Pulled the motor out, again, and tore it down. Found the rear main bearing to be the culprit.
Bad Bearing.JPG
Bad Bearing.JPG (183.59 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
I had checked clearances when assembling, perhaps I missed something with this bearing. Anyway, dropped the block, crank and rods off at the engine machine shop to get everything checked, modified, and assembled to better than before. More money and more waiting, but all you can do is keep moving forward. I will use my time waiting to go through the wiring on the Willys and see I can't get all the lights working.

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Fri May 03, 2019 1:48 pm

What your picture is showing us is indicative of a very well known problem.
The neoprene rear oil seal being too tight on the crankshaft generating heat enough to melt the rear main material.
Not sure where you got that one, but apparently Ron has good ones now.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 pm

John, I recall hearing about this issue. Guess I should have paid more attention to it. The prior seal wasn’t from Ron, but I do have one of his new ones now. Will pass that info on to the machine shop next week. I’ll do some research on this topic this weekend.

Does anyone put some form of sealant on the rear packing rubber when they are installed?

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:15 am

Motor back from the machine shop after polishing the crank, boring the main journals, and installing new bearings and seals. Assembled the rest of the engine and got the Willys put back together over the weekend and got to enjoy a test drive on Fathers Day with the kids. Working on this MB has been a long journey with highs and lows. Extremely happy to have this piece of history on the road again. Just have a few odds and ends to tinker with, but it seems to run and drive well at this point. Going to drive as-is (will replace the aluminum rims soon) and enjoy it for a couple of years. After that the body will likely come off for repairs.
IMG_1091.JPG
IMG_1091.JPG (245.22 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
Engine going back in after the latest round of machine shop work.
IMG_1095.JPG
IMG_1095.JPG (162.31 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG (220.3 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG (230.06 KiB) Viewed 4902 times
Test drive with the kids on Fathers Day!

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:08 pm

Hello Mate
I'm so pleased to see your jeeps 'up n runnin' and that all your hard work and effort are paying off. The smiles on your kids faces make up for all the sinned knuckles eh? :wink: Good luck for the future.
regards Nick

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:29 am

A couple photos from last summer in a parade with my wife and others with my Brother and his kids cruising around town.
Attachments
IMG_E3068.JPG
My wife and I in a parade, photo in City Park
IMG_3572.JPG
Driving through a covered bridge in Madison County
IMG_3569.JPG
Photo of my brother driving the Jeep by the County Courthouse
Last edited by MadCoLars on Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MadCoLars
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MadCoLars » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:33 am

Memorial Day ceremony this past weekend. Drove the Jeep in the parade as an American Legion member. Photo is from the ceremony at the cemetery. Another photo of the Civil War memorial in town.
Attachments
IMG_5928.JPG
Memorial Day ceremony
IMG_5924.JPG
Civil War memorial in Winterset

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:49 pm

Hello,

Great to see an update from you on your great Brit Jeep !!!

Those pictures are wonderful and it looks like the jeep made for a great adventure !!!!

It is interesting to see the great area you live, it looks like a lot of history that is well respected there !!

Keep us updated ,

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”