1943 GPW 108175

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: 1943 GPW 108175

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:24 am

It's been awhile since my last post, so figured I'd share some random pictures of my GPW 8)

Since the Reading WWII Weekend was cancelled this year, like everything else :cry: , I didn't get my normal June high mileage weekend in. That said, I think I've only put about 100 miles on the old girl since the new year. Every time I do take it out it runs great, though!

Also, I did disassemble my spare GPW tranny for rebuild. I have a list of the parts needed for the rebuild, but still need to convince myself to place the order with RFJP...

And lastly, like a lot of other people, my wife and I got a dog during quarantine :) He's a bit bigger now, but has already enjoyed a couple of jeep rides and is showing signs of being a jeep/garage dog!

Sean

GPW 108175 viewtopic.php?t=267732
DOD 4/14/43 Louisville, KY USA20371070

MVPA
AOPA

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:49 am

Sean,
A really fine build, well done...the pup looks humbled by his priority seating...in a shoet time it'll be his 2nd home...
Ralph

1942 Ford GPW 352nd
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 pm

Sean,
Thanks for sharing the photos! They help motivate and reassure us that if we stay the path, the reward is great! I too am disappointed that the WW2 weekend show in Reading, PA and the other shows are cancelled in the North East. But, seeing that I would've spent a fair amount of money traveling to these show, I will invest that money into parts for my jeep! :D

Tried sandblasting parts on multiple occasions, however with the >90 deg F heat and humidity, moisture forms between the air and sand resulting in a clogged nozzle and plenty of frustration! Expect temperatures to return to normal this time of the year and hoping to report more progress on my jeep.

Great addition to your jeep and family! Although he looks disappointed that he is not going for a ride at that moment...

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:23 am

Ralph wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:49 am
Sean,
A really fine build, well done...the pup looks humbled by his priority seating...in a shoet time it'll be his 2nd home...
Thanks, Ralph!
1942 Ford GPW 352nd wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:09 pm
Sean,
Thanks for sharing the photos! They help motivate and reassure us that if we stay the path, the reward is great! I too am disappointed that the WW2 weekend show in Reading, PA and the other shows are cancelled in the North East. But, seeing that I would've spent a fair amount of money traveling to these show, I will invest that money into parts for my jeep! :D

Tried sandblasting parts on multiple occasions, however with the >90 deg F heat and humidity, moisture forms between the air and sand resulting in a clogged nozzle and plenty of frustration! Expect temperatures to return to normal this time of the year and hoping to report more progress on my jeep.

Great addition to your jeep and family! Although he looks disappointed that he is not going for a ride at that moment...
Thanks, Todd! If there is any benefit to the cancellations of this year's events, is the money savings to make buying jeep parts more justifiable :D I experienced the same issues with moisture in my blasting nozzle when I tried to blast in 30 degree weather. I'm sure it's like paint, must be done with perfect atmospheric conditions in order for the results to be perfect! We're having a hot spell down here, too...hoping this passes in the next week or two for both of our sake! Perfect boating weather, though :wink:
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 am

Sean, it was great to see you guys at Reading, PA this year along with your GPW. It's too bad as I will have to wait till next year to get a ride in 108175! :cry: :lol:

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:27 am

Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:07 am
Sean, it was great to see you guys at Reading, PA this year along with your GPW. It's too bad as I will have to wait till next year to get a ride in 108175! :cry: :lol:
Todd, it was great seeing you at Reading, too! Sorry we couldn't make a jeep ride happen, but definitely plan on it for next year. I also expect to see your beautiful '42 there next year as well (no pressure :wink:)!
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:59 am

Made my first jeep upgrade in several years! It's a simple but very noticeable one...

I eliminated the "carpet padding" around the gill and installed authentic horsehair style padding instead:

It makes a huge difference! I've had these for a least a full year now, maybe longer? I actually got them from another G member who makes these in his spare time. I also picked up an original GPW starter hand crank, which is the final item I've been hunting for. Of course the original mounting stud on the back of my tub is broken and I just noticed it now, so it seems that I'll be pulling the welder out to tack a new stud in. Maybe I'll get to that in one of the coming weekends.

I also attended the Reading, PA WWII Weekend again this year. It was refreshing to get back out with the jeep again after the crazy year prior. Instead of my normal ~400 mile trip in the jeep to make the event, I instead opted to finally trailer it this year. Somehow I convinced my wife that we should buy a diesel VW SUV two years ago as it's a "fuel efficient" full sized vehicle that can double as a towing vehicle for me as well :wink: Seriously, though, I couldn't have been happier using it to tow. I pulled the jeep for ~200 miles that weekend on mostly back roads, around 5k in total weight, and I got 20 mpg and literally never noticed the trailer behind me. It was refreshing to not have to worry about the wear and tear on the jeep or the possibility of being stranded miles from home. While the jeep has never left me sit in the 2k miles I've put on it, it is still 78 years old lol :?

It's unfortunately been a crazy busy summer, so I haven't spent too much time enjoying the jeep post the Reading weekend in June, but there have been several relaxing cruises through the northern MD farm county with the top and windshield down. It's refreshing to get whacked in the face with bugs sometimes :lol:

Sean

MVPA
AOPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 am

Hello Sean,

Great Jeep update !!
The show must have been fun, especially getting the jeep out and about again !
Your jeep looks well restored, keep us posted on your future expeditions 😁😁

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:25 pm

Hey Sean,
I hope all is well and it is great to see that you are continuing to enjoy your jeep! Your jeep photos help me realize the "prize at hand" of completing my restoration! :D It is funny as I too had upgraded my felt grill/radiator seals just this week! They truly are an excellent upgrade! I am working on the finishing touches and plan to install my grill.

Upon looking at the photo of your engine bay, I had noticed that you too have the bolts facing up on the headlamp support bracket. However, when I try to pivot the headlamp assembly so that they lamps face the engine bay (to assist with lighting the engine bay if needed), the bracket contacts the bolt nuts preventing them from fully rotating up to light the engine bay. Do you have this same issue?

I have seen others with the bolt head facing up and I believe the reduced height of the bolt head would allow for full rotation of the head lamp bracket to be horizontal to the engine bay. Have you or others seen any WW2 period photos to verify correct installation of these bolts? If so, could you please share?

Best regards,

Todd

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Mon Sep 20, 2021 4:25 am

70th Division wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 am
Great Jeep update !!
Thanks, Ray!
Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:25 pm
Upon looking at the photo of your engine bay, I had noticed that you too have the bolts facing up on the headlamp support bracket. However, when I try to pivot the headlamp assembly so that they lamps face the engine bay (to assist with lighting the engine bay if needed), the bracket contacts the bolt nuts preventing them from fully rotating up to light the engine bay. Do you have this same issue?
And thanks, Todd! I do agree that the radiator seals are an excellent upgrade. Sometime all it takes is something simple like that to up the authenticity and make the overall vehicle look better. And the prize at hand should be getting nearer and nearer for you, too. I'm excited to see your next post and the progress you're continuing to make! And regarding the headlight brackets bolts, I can't recall exactly where I read that the nuts should face up, but between discussion here on the G and original period pictures, as well as how the bolts were installed when I purchased my GPW in 2013 (see the picture below - this is the best picture I could find of my headlight brackets pre-resto, but the nuts were up and I do remember them being coated in several layers of paint, as well as the 'F' marks being flawless on the bolt heads, leaving me to believe they were never exposed to the elements), I decided to install mine nuts up. Now, I find that the wiring coming from the headlight buckets ultimately pulls my lights down when I flip them up to light the engine bay, so I'm not convinced that flipping the bolts would make a difference as I would still need a second person to hold the bracket, or would need a third hand/arm to keep it in place as I fiddled with engine itself :lol:

Sean

MVPA
AOPA

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:23 am

Well, another year another Reading, Pa WWII Weekend! This is the only show I take the jeep to each year and it's definitely worth it. I used to drive the jeep round trip from MD to PA for this show, which was around 400 miles of total driving over three days. I've since started trailering to save the wear and tear on the jeep and it definitely eases the stress and worry of the long weekend. Although nowadays, with diesel over $6.00/gal, plus the trailer rental, it hurts the wallet instead of the jeep! :lol: :cry:

Last Sunday after the show, my wife also asked if I wanted to go to Home Depot for potting soil. Since we don't have a truck, I figured it was another good excuse to utilize the jeep. So, loaded the old jeep up with soil and delivered the soil bags right to her work station :wink: The only downside of the short trip was having someone "teach" me jeep facts in the HD parking lot... :x

Sean

MVPA
AOPA

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:42 am

twinflyer17 wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:23 am
Well, another year another Reading, Pa WWII Weekend! This is the only show I take the jeep to each year and it's definitely worth it. I used to drive the jeep round trip from MD to PA for this show, which was around 400 miles of total driving over three days. I've since started trailering to save the wear and tear on the jeep and it definitely eases the stress and worry of the long weekend. Although nowadays, with diesel over $6.00/gal, plus the trailer rental, it hurts the wallet instead of the jeep! :lol: :cry:

Last Sunday after the show, my wife also asked if I wanted to go to Home Depot for potting soil. Since we don't have a truck, I figured it was another good excuse to utilize the jeep. So, loaded the old jeep up with soil and delivered the soil bags right to her work station :wink: The only downside of the short trip was having someone "teach" me jeep facts in the HD parking lot... :x

Hello Sean,

I am glad to see your update !!
Your Jeep looks beautiful and I am sure it is a great pleasure to take it to these events.

I really like the picture wit the mountains in back, and the blue sky :D :D :D !!

It is always good to show your wife how useful the Jeep is in taking care of things she needs :D :D :D

Keep up your great posts, as we all enjoy seeing the restored Jeep out in the wild again, being used and enjoyed !
Your post and restoration works are a great inspiration for all G members to keep going on their projects !!

Best Regards,
Ray

1942 Ford GPW 352nd

Post by 1942 Ford GPW 352nd » Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:14 am

Hey Sean,
Amazing how another year has come & gone for the WW2 weekend show and seeing you guys and the GPW once again! It was a great time and finally got a chance to get a ride in your GPW! She is a beauty! Love the idea of the VW working "hard" at trailering the GPW and taking her wherever she needs to go!

Great opportunity to show your wife how valuable the jeep is by it's ability to haul top soil and whatever else you can pickup at HD. :lol:

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:53 am

70th Division wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:42 am
Hello Sean,

I am glad to see your update !!
Your Jeep looks beautiful and I am sure it is a great pleasure to take it to these events.
Thanks so much, Ray! It always feels good to be appreciated by others in the hobby 8)
Wed Jun 22, 2022 6:14 am
Hey Sean,
Amazing how another year has come & gone for the WW2 weekend show and seeing you guys and the GPW once again! It was a great time and finally got a chance to get a ride in your GPW! She is a beauty! Love the idea of the VW working "hard" at trailering the GPW and taking her wherever she needs to go!

Great opportunity to show your wife how valuable the jeep is by it's ability to haul top soil and whatever else you can pickup at HD. :lol:
And thanks, Todd! It is crazy that another year has already come and gone. This year was a lot of fun and it's always nice to see you and catch up in person. Hopefully next year I'll get to see your jeep in person :) It is funny having the "enemy" towing the jeep around, too. It seems like it should be the opposite. Especially to and from a WWII event! :lol:
Sean

MVPA
AOPA

twinflyer17
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by twinflyer17 » Fri Apr 14, 2023 6:42 am

For some reason I decided to look at the date and realized that my GPW turned 80 today 8) I hope that I make it to 80 and look as good if I do! This year also marks 10 years of jeep ownership. Crazy how time flies and scary to think how quick the next 10 years will go :lol: We recently sold our house and relocated back into the city again, so I no longer have the jeep living under the same roof as me, nor in the same state anymore, meaning I unfortunately can't celebrate its birthday today with a long drive :cry: I have been admiring pictures of it, though, and will be getting it out of storage in a couple of weeks in preparation for the yearly Reading, PA WWII Weekend in early June. I'm highly looking forward to dusting it off and showing it off again! With the nice weather we've been having here, I've especially been craving some jeep time again, so the June show will be refreshing 8) I hope everyone else has finally started to enjoy their jeeps again this season, too!

Sean

MVPA
AOPA

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”