First Jeep 1942 Ford gpw

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: First Jeep 1942 Ford gpw

Post by 70th Division » Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:39 am

Hello,

You have an incredible jeep right there !!!
Original markings and hood numbers too .

Beautiful !

I can tell you that it was made at the Louisville, Kentucky Ford Plant.
It has a 1/4 T stamped on the original data plate.
That was used in Louisville.

Please post more pictures !!
You can use
old motor oil to revive the original paint and it will help preserve it as well.
At least that is what I did on my August 1942 Louisville GPW, as I did a preservation type restoration. I also made repairs to the floor where holes were hacked into it.
But the sides and hood, etc cleaned up nice, and I blended new paint on repairs with the old oil as well.
I had to preserve and repair the floors, as they were rusty, dirty, etc. I sand blasted the floors, after patch repair, and primed and painted. Many layers of primer and paint. I also used a metallic filler on all the pitting revealed by blasting the floors.
It came out perfect !
I would repair what needs to be repaired, and preserve what can be preserved.

Here are some pics of my jeep.
Repaired, and preserved as well.
Resized_20210530_143243.jpeg
Resized_20210508_122000.jpeg
It still has work to do, but the paint has been cleaned up.
I found the original blue hood numbers by scraping some paint off of them they had been worn down a little and painted over.
I put the same numbers over the originals as they were so thin and had been buffed and damaged many years ago.
A balance between preservation and restoration. I also added a front bumper to replace a pipe that was welded on as a bumper.

We will be looking forward to your Jeep updates!!!!

Keep ' em Rolling !!!!

Best Regards,
Ray

mrmoto
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by mrmoto » Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:50 pm

Hi Ray. Your 42 GPW looks great. Preserved and renovated just how they should be if possible!
Mine hopefully will start getting looked at this year. It ran well when delivered to me but hooked up to a dummy tank with electric fuel pump.
There is a lot to do to it but within my abilities I think except for welding. Unfortunately I think it was used on a farm and they cut the rear panel and corners, and welded on a farm type front number. I will post pics when I can. Still it shows a lot of history with its original data tags and 1945 rebuild data tag.
It does have a second coat of paint in places.
Like I said I will try to take more pics.
I do not want to take it all apart so first thing will be get it running driving and stopping!!
Jeeps are a lot of money now over here in the U.K.
regards. Marcus

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:13 am

Hello Marcus,

More pictures will be great !!
It is nice that your jeep and engine were rebuilt in 1945 !

An important thing :
When you change the oil, be CERTAIN to use NON - Detergent oil for the engine.
You will have to look for it, but it is what to use, be sure the oil bottle says non-detergent , Sae-30.
If you use regular modern oil, it will clean out your engine and cause damage. It will start to smoke as well.
A new Jeep owning neighbor here changed his oil before I knew him, and now his engine needs a rebuild.

My GPW, came off a farm and was sitting for many years, but ran.
I located the non detergent oil, actually Valvoline, at a local car parts store, and changed the oil. All is well with her 😁😁
My engine was rebuilt in 1945 at Fort Devens, Massachusetts.
Also be sure to use the correct gear oils for your front and rear axles, and correct oil for you transmission and transfer case.
This is work you can do your self, just be sure to do it right with the correct oils !

Also the battery ground can be relocated to the correct location
to the frame cross member.
Order a new set of correct battery cables.
Joe's Motor Pool has many parts you will need, and they really are the best available.
Get new hoses, oil lines, etc and install them as you go. It will make great maintenance improvements tobget her running again,, before you tackle the larger things.

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”