Meet GPW 268350

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
MarfaGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Re: Meet GPW 268350

Post by MarfaGPW » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:06 pm

Hi Nick

Thanks for the comments! I'm not sure what you are asking about the fuel filter. Here's a photo below the carb. Is that the fuel filter or pump in the lower left corner? You can follow the fuel line going back. I've also posted a photo of the bulkhead. What's missing? The paint color is odd. The two holes (center left) with the red beneath the green suggests that the engine compartment was painted red and then a part was installed there and then it was painted green again. I have removed nothing.

No keys. No title. Cash and carry. Here's another sot of the dash. Where does the key go? That empty hole?

Thanks for the starting tips. I love a good challenge. I'll make a video of the first starting attempt to show how she goes.

Finally what the heck is this box on the passenger side?

1945 GPW 268350 5/23/1945 Marfa Texas 20735153

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Hey Rob
Thats the fuel pump on the lower left of the block .Im interested to see what may have been on the bulkhead right hand side of the air filter. Looking at the picture of your pump seems to show the fuel line going back towards the fuel tank. The two holes your asking about in the bulkhead are where the oil can holder was mounted. The red colour you refer to between the holes is a red oxide primer. Ford bodies fitted at the dallas plant (where your gpw came from) seemed to have some parts mounted over the red oxide before the two coats of olive drab was applied. Some other items fitted in this manner are the hip pad plates and the radio outlet filter. Your right, the hole in the dash was indeed where the ignition switch wasfitted .It was originally a lever type ignition NOT a keyed type (original ford switches are getting quite scarse now ) and tend to demand a higher price whenever they come onto the market. One rare little item (offen missing) I can see in your bulkhead picture is that clip holding the electrical wires running down the body mounting bracket. Try not to lose that. Regarding starting!! Remember thirteen spins before she fires up :) if more then i,ve won :wink: I,ve no recorded proof (you,ll just have to take my word on that) :lol: Im not sure what that box is beneath the dash could it be a heater? Anyway good luck.
Regards Nick
Ps Dont forget to register your matching number on Franks list
pps Another rare item you have is the ford disc on your spare wheel carrier

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:16 pm

Hey Rob
I suppose thinking about it, i should have stated the obvious, make sure youve got water and decent oil in the engine before you try to start it mate :wink:
regards Nick

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:19 pm

Hey Rob
You may well have the original hood on your jeep :) Carefull removel of some of the red paint just may reveal the original reg # for your gpw.
regards Nick

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:17 pm

Good advice Nick!

Rob try and take a closer photo of the passenger side firewall.

MarfaGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MarfaGPW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:36 am

Will do photo of other firewall.

Thanks for all the suggestions Nick. I will change the oil and add coolant for sure. Might not start it up right away. Need to go through basic engine checkup procedures first and then get a new battery.

I've used a product called Peel Away Smart Strip from Dumond Chemicals to remove 100 years of old lead-based paint in a house I am restoring. It's water-based and biodegradable. I might try that on the hood. That sun-beaten red primer won't stand a chance and I can take off individual layers by varying the time and temperature.

MarfaGPW
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by MarfaGPW » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 am

OK, here are two photos of the passenger side firewall. Not sure what they show.

Here's a photo of the passenger seat with a kitchen chair screwed to it. The original frame has the F script in the back. There is a box between the seat and the outside of the tub. It has a conduit coming out and going through the floor. There is a wire to nowhere under the tub. What is this?

Four numbers are clearly visible through the red paint on the side of the hood: 2746 in black paint. There is some yellow paint on the top of the hood. Hard to read. I think those straps were added to help carry the weight of a deer. I'm not sure those are original hinges!

Rob

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 pm

Hey Rob
When you purchase your battery I suggest you make sure that its capacity equalls/passes the requirements. Lots of info here on 503 or ask the question. I dont have the correct info to hand at the moment. Also make sure the connecting cables are thick enough, not to create resistence :roll: again info available on here. Or indeed Ron Fitzpatrick will supply you with the correct items. Thanks for the pictures of the bulkhead. They show clearly the two bolts(check captivated nuts in the glove box) where a fuel filter could have been mounted. The pictures seem to indicate a variation in paint layers? which seems to suggest that ,a filter was indeed fitted at the begining of your jeeps existance. This is all helping those 503 guys who are interested in trying to establish history,as changes took place regarding the route of fuel lines,, fuel filters either on the bulkhead or a filter within the fuel tank itself. Just as Bill M was asking you early on about reflector mfr. Its all going to try and establish a much clearer picture on dates of changes to production at the varyious Ford plants(in your case the Dallas plant). The box you ask about was /is housing a radio filter. Thats not to say your jeep was set up for a radio They were fitted to all mid/late dated produced vehicles. I have no suggestion regarding the numbers you can see,except to say I dont beleive they were put on at the factory. Could be a marine number,Im sure someone will chip in with info. The hinges and reinforcing are certainly homemade/texas style :wink: If you look at the hinge which mounts the hood to the bulkhead ,in the middle of the hinge youll see a nice little 'f' mark smiling back at you. Your picture does indeed show clearly a late production hood (see how the windscreen supporting block bolts are offset on the left side) that was for clearence when the screen was/to be fitted with vacuam wipers. So as i suggested earlier its a very good chance as the hoods the original. Any chance the screen ,top bows,front bumper are laying around the place the two jeeps came from? Maybe worth asking/checking out?
Anyway looking forward to hearing you getting her running :) :roll: :wink: regards Nick

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:48 pm

Hey Rob
Still waiting to hear that youve started her up mate :wink:
regards Nick

REG
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by REG » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:19 pm

MarfaGPW wrote:OK, here are two photos of the passenger side firewall. Not sure what they show.

Rob
Hi, Rob, welcome to the"G"

Until late in the war there would have been a fuel filter/strainer mounted on the firewall to the left of that large cylindrical shaped object (which is you oil bath type air filter)

After the war, when Hotchkiss started making Willys Jeeps under licence for the French Army (through to the 1960s!) they re-introduced the filter.
When cleaning up a friend's Hotchkiss we found a beautifully F script on the filter under the cosmoline!!

Nice find, btw

(PS just spotted that Nick already answered your query - sorry!)
REG

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:32 pm

Hey Rob
Did you get that jeep started yet :)
regards Nick

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:25 am

Hey Rob
Still waiting to hear if you got that jeep running yet?
regards Nick

VAC46
G-Private
G-Private

Post by VAC46 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:21 am

Hi Rob!
Congratulations!!!! I could'nt believe my eyes when I saw your DOD: 23-5-45 !!!!! My GPW was delivered the same day!!!! My one is GPW 258784 with hood number 20738173. I'm from Vienna, Austria and bought the GPW 1994 in Enns, Upper Austria. The US-Troops stayed till 1955 in Austria and left a lot of equipment.... :D
I restored it till 2002. I will check the system with posting pics....
Have fun and all the bist with the "twin"
Michael

nick peters
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by nick peters » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 am

Hey Rob
Any updates yet?
regards Nick

Tom Wolboldt
banned

Post by Tom Wolboldt » Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi Rob,

I can not believe I may have missed this whole thread. I have your GPW's original hood in my files. The black 2746 seen on the hood is some other number.

While Micheal's GPW 258784 and your GPW 268350 have the same DoDs they were assembled in different assembly plants.

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”