GPW24987

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

GPW24987

Post by majmacs » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:21 pm

My dad bought this Jeep when we lived in monterrey back in the early 1970s.
At the time, he saved it from a V8 conversion and a number of other mods, but unfortunately he tossed the supposedly unrepairable tub and bought a repro 3A tub, then had a welder transfer a bunch of GPW features over to it. Unable to find an L head, he swapped the V8 for an F head.
He rebuilt the T84 after the V8 had mangled it.
I have very fond memories of riding in this jeep as a kid and the Jeep has had some "notorious" history while my father was in the RCAF.
I've got an ugly early WW2 GPW tub and the engine from GPW 27850 and am slowly trying to put her back together. Unfortunately, my dad chromed several parts ( hey! It was the 70s!) The blue sticker on the bumper (M38 unfortunately...) is from the Naval Post Grad School in Monterrey and the green sticker on the drivers side window is from the the RCAF fighter base in Cold Lake, Alberta ( both stickers around 35 years old)

Found some cool stuff in the glove compartment like maps of Yosemite from the 70s...lots of good memories

Jeep was sitting for several years but got her started a few weekends ago with a new condensor and some fresh gas.
Frame is in excellent condition as he had it sandblasted and painted with urethane back in 72.

I've been rebuilding accessories, fenders, starting motors, generator, distributors and lots of smaller bits, but now its time to start on the tub. Rear floor is my first step ( being built from actual measurements where possible and Jeepdraw( found severl discepensies so far, but they may be due to the GPW/MB differences
)
I am kind of accelerating my rebuild as I am in the RCAF myself and likely posted out to the west coast next summer, so need to get as much done as possibly before then.

Last edited by majmacs on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Boyso
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: GPW24987

Post by Boyso » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Great to see a Willys not so far from me! Looks like you're off to a good start, keep going!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:37 pm

Boyso wrote:Great to see a Willys not so far from me! Looks like you're off to a good start, keep going!
Yup have long way to go, but have slowly been working on smaller bits over the last while.
Here is engine GPW 27850. I've rebuilt the carb, oil pump, gen, starter, distributor, fuel pump and found a NOS GPW water pump.

-Needs sleeving ( its .060 now) and new valve guides and one small crack sorted in the deck) crank is rough but appears to be 10 and 20 over on the mains/rods from the stampings.
Got a bit more sheet metal work done on the rear wheel houses on the weekend. Dimensions from Jeep draw with some minor tweaks from actual measurements.
final comparison to ensure they were square and symetrical

Now concentrating on the rear floor step repair pieces. I hoping to reuse the rounded part and graft in the straight sections.
Last edited by majmacs on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boyso
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Boyso » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:44 pm

Wow, looks like you lost no time !

I'm still too-new to the hobby to give any advice, but if you want to embed your photos directly in the post, put the Photobucket link in between these tags :D

Code: Select all

[IMG][/IMG]
Have you been able to uncover the hoodnumbers?
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:07 pm

Boyso wrote:Wow, looks like you lost no time !

I'm still too-new to the hobby to give any advice, but if you want to embed your photos directly in the post, put the Photobucket link in between these tags :D

Code: Select all

[IMG][/IMG]
Have you been able to uncover the hoodnumbers?

Hmmm, Haven't been able to embed, so I'll try that on my next post.
Unfortunately the hood was not original and had previously been very rusty on the top side. The underside was completely covered with a heavy tar like stuff which I'm told was standard USMC practice.
Actually the sandblaster I used for bigger parts laughed at how ugly the hood looked from all the pitting, so while i should try to find a better one, I am kind of motivated to fix it just because.....
I've had to split it down the middle to straighten the bow in the hood and hammer out some small dents. Needs several holes welded shut and some areas with pitting replaced. More to follow on that...

Patrick
Last edited by majmacs on Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:27 pm

A few weekends ago I pulled the rear pintle "assembly" and was hoping I could save it.... as it looks like it had a rough life and was neatly welded to a 1/2" thick steel plate which also included a ball hitch.

After some delicate surgery, a little welding and some sandblasting, I think it will be acceptable for a motorpool level jeep which is what I am after.

I really like the CAT dealer down the street from where I live. The Grade 8 hardware profile is very similar to the WW2 vintage bolts ( something I read here on the G a few months ago); they came individually wrapped and were cheaper than the local Home depot.

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:47 pm

For those who know or are collecting frame numbers...

My father swears he has the original glove box nomenclature plate somewhere, but I have been unable to locate it. This is a very early repro that he stamped to replace the original which was apparently in very rough shape. he said it was stamped exactly as the original???

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:00 pm

Very interesting and very good welding work. Thanks for posting.

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:38 pm

thidisbogus wrote:Very interesting and very good welding work. Thanks for posting.
Thanks Rodney,
Your thread has been inspiring for me.

We had almost 2 feet of snow over the last two days, so in between shovelling, I took a stab at fixing my passenger seat and windshield.
The passenger seat was bought from Brent Mullins in Texas but one of the crossbeams was rotted through.
After blasting and priming it was in pretty ugly shape. Had to bend up a piece of thick wall 1" tube to fit and after a few tries finally got the shape correct.

The windshield skin was strange...someone had removed the original and brazed a piece of 14g in place and then smothed the edges. It was very ugly to remove. Good thing Brass is no longer a strategic material...I must have removed 1/2 lb of it....
I had bought a replacement skin from "he who shall not be named" and the fit was pretty good as it was US manufacture and all one piece.
Had to mock up the fit to the tub to ensure everything lined up. eventually had to weld up one set of the clasp holes as it was off by a 1/4". I'll redrill when everything is welded together.
Once I permanently afix the skin, I'll start trying to repair the inner....not looking forward to that.....

Patrick

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Patrick,

Thanks for posting the updates. I have a lot of updates to post onine and will soon. Thanks for the encouraging words about my thread by the way. It is always a blessing to know you are in some way helping/encouraging/inspiring others by what you are doing/posting.

Your windshield looks really good, as does your seat frame. You can hardly tell the differece at all between the crossmembers. If you hadn't said anything you would not be able to tell.

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Had a little more time to repair my rear step piece. It had been welded several times and had rust through ins a few places> Additionally something heavy was dropped on the rear floor which appears to have further distorted it. I decided to make my own repair pieces and to try to salvage the rounded part.

bent up some 18G for the straight part, then realized after I cut out the round part for salvage that the riser step was in fact 16G, so had to fab up again.

After a bunch of measuring and trimming to fit, I spliced in the new pieces.

once I was happy, I plug welded the riser to the rear floor I had already fabricated, then decided to mock it up with a salvaged wheel well side part and one of the new wheel house tops I fabbed up.
starting to come together.

majmacs
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by majmacs » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 pm

Someone had asked me to post some pics of the fit of the windshield skin I obtained from he who shall not be named.
It appears to be 18G and all in one piece with only some minor trimming and I will plug weld once that is done.
The grey is a zinc rich primer I sprayed on in prep for welding.
I'll post pics once I get it welded up. A very kind gentleman in the UK has sent me pics on exactly where the spot welds should go.

Patrick

thidisbogus
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by thidisbogus » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 pm

You do fantastic work Patrick
Last edited by thidisbogus on Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

REG
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by REG » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:20 pm

majmacs wrote:I am kind of accelerating my rebuild as I am in the RCAF myself and likely posted out to the west coast next summer, so need to get as much done as possibly before then.
A fitter? I am guessing.

Some excellent work, but I recon that there are possibly some holes in the Air Force with some MB shaped holes in the wing!

Always great to see a family friend being brought back ...

Welcome to the G :D
REG

"Million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten."

Rod Rushton
G-Captain
G-Captain

Post by Rod Rushton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:44 am

Well done Patrick!
The replacement skins here are in several pieces I understand - but I have never seen one as yet.
Can you PM me with the address of "He who shall not be named" - to restore the screen I had grit-blasted and was ruined, would be worth shipping one over.

Today was the first time out this year for my GPW - about a 45 miles drive to Crownhill Fort in Plymouth, one of the Coastal Defences from the early 1800's, for their Military Spectacular - the highlight of which was the firing of one of the Forts 18 pounder muzzle loading cannon - very noisy and what a blast accompanied by masses of powder smoke! Apparently they use 1 1/2 pounds of black powder....That got the pigeons moving at some rate!. Fortunately they left out the Cannon Ball.
Rod Rushton - Winner 2013 MVT Wilkinson Sword Trophy
Exeter Devon UK
FORD GPW 202055 DoD 5 - 22 - 44 Serial# 20534360
MBT # 25553 DoD 4 - 43
Piper Cub 1944 L4H 480015 G-AKIB

1942 CHEVROLET G506 CARGO. #2NM 213219
1943 AUSTIN LIGHT UTILITY M6448770

Return to “Original Unrestored WWII Jeeps”