'43 Willys Jeep

If you have an unrestored WWII jeep, we would like to see pictures, and hear your comments. NO EBAY or COMMERCIAL SALES.
Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: '43 Willys Jeep

Post by Beers » Sun Nov 30, 2014 8:27 pm

Great work Ez8! Thanks for sharing the photos, and glad to see you back on it -
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:09 pm

It's been awhile since I've updated, but I've been making pretty steady progress in my build. Last weekend with the heat wave we had I got the drive train into the jeep and painted the block, etc. It's beginning to look a lot more like a jeep.

I've got to say that the engine rebuild was easy as pie. The machine shop I used was spot on with their work and the thing went together like the TM's and build guides said it would. The only advice I'd offer anyone who is tackling it for the first time is don't forget to put your flywheel bolts in before you put in the rear bearing cap.

Also, get a good quality rope seal: they are easier to work with. The Victor Reinz one I got as part of my gasket set was basically nylon rope dipped in tar. Impossible to trim correctly.
The Victor Reinz seal - this was after I had had enough of trying to cut the fraying ends with a razor and yanked it out.

I was able to find a NOS one from someone and used that. I followed the advice of a couple of Australian gentlemen installing a rope seal in a Holden V-8 and it went just as they said. TAKE YOUR TIME.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43
Build Thread: viewtopic.php?f=96&t=209632

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:11 pm

I know it's been awhile since I gave you the gospel according to ez8, but things have been wild here in my neck of the woods.
Last year I bought a 1963 Dodge M37 that was mint. I spent a few thousand dollars getting that running and enjoying it so I didn't have much time or money for the jeep. UNTIL NOW!

Last weekend I took the tub and fenders to a sandblaster to have them worked over. I was very nervous about this because in my initial soundings of the Jeep's tub I found rich deposits of body filler which I feared were hiding veins of rusty holes. However, this was not the case. There is evidence of rust, but this tub is entirely workable. It seems whoever put the body filler on there was trying to cover up the weld seams -an attempt to reduce aerodynamic drag, no doubt.

I put together a little image library here:
https://imgur.com/a/RFQ48mS

I will definitely need to get on Jeep Draw to find out which holes I need to fill in and which I need to keep, and which I need to remake!
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Beers
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Beers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:38 pm

That tub is in great shape Ez8, very workable! Good for you

Looking forward to seeing your updates. :D
1943 MB 213301 DOD 2-22-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:29 am

Hello again everyone. It's been a busy summer and fall, but now that we're settling into winter I have a little time to update my build thread.

In the intervening time I've taught myself to use a MIG welder and have achieved some good results with it. I will admit that it was a little overwhelming at first, but the more I used it the more comfortable I got and the better things turned out. I started by making a little cart for my welder and that gave me enough confidence to start working on the jeep.

For anyone who feels intimidated by learning to weld: don't be. It's not as difficult as it's made out to be and you can get good results by just having the confidence to keep trying. Practice, practice, practice. Through welding things back together on the jeep body I've found out that I really enjoy welding and it has brought me a deep satisfaction from doing it myself. It's not something I would have done otherwise so I am happy that I have been exposed to it through my jeep.

Moving on, here are some pictures of my work.

https://imgur.com/a/RfNIuKD

Keep 'em rolling!
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:40 am

Hello EZ8,

Thanks for posting !
Excellent welding patch work and repairs !

With your skills, you may be able to tackle repairing your original rear panel :D

Keep up your good work,

Ray

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:48 am

Fantastic work!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:36 am

Brothers and Sisters, friends of the Restoration: Are you ready to testify? I bring to you today a testimonial.

It's been awhile since my last update, but I have not been idle. Body work continues, and I'm ready to put the body back on as soon as I get some paint and the electrical components. Here's a batch of pictures from my latest work.

For the most part I'm welding in new metal to fill the rusty holes, but on the passenger side there was a rusty Goldilocks hole that was "just right" not to be patch with metal, but ok to fill with filler. I use "MULTI-ALU" which is infused with aluminum through modern science. Reportedly, it won't distort in the heat like Bondo will.

In the picture above I still hadn't fit the hat channels because I was trying to figure out a way to measure and mark where they needed to be. I then had the genius idea of putting the body on the frame, lining everything up in situ, tacking it in place and finishing the welds off the frame. This is the result of those labors and I'm very pleased with the result and what a clever, handsome, and humble ( :lol: ) guy I am.

This is a mystery hole that I had to fill on the driver's side of the transmission hump. It was to the left of the starter switch hole and is visible in the picture above. When I got the jeep someone had filled this hole with lumpy turds of plumber's epoxy that I had to chip off with a hammer and chisel. I pieced together some scrap metal to fill the hole. This is after the initial weld, but before filling the seams with some more bead. I skimmed over any remaining seams with MULTI-ALU and it's like it never happened. I won't tell anyone if you won't.

A test fit of the other body components before beginning work on them. It's hard to tell in this picture, but the passenger side fender had a rotted out support connecting the frame to the fender so I but it out and attempted to graft in an omix-ada replacement support. However, the size difference between the host support and the omix-ada donor was very apparent to me after tacking it in place that I decided to completely remove the original support and graft the omix-ada replacement back together. Measure twice, cut once, and then re-weld once, I suppose.

That's it for now. I'll try to get some pictures of the current activities for all and sundry. Thanks for reading and keeping up with me so far. We're all in this together.
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:46 am

Hello EZ8,

Your jeep is looking great !!!
Thanks for posting the progress update.
That aluminum based filler stuff is absolutely the best thing out there, period !!
I use a brand called Metal to Metal, the stuff is incredible.
It really finishes off the welded and ground down repairs, like there never was a repair there.
It does not absorb water, or chunk off like bondo does.

I would never use bondo on anything, the aluminum based filler is all we need.
It is so much better than bondo ever could be, and worth the price,
at about $50 a can, with a tube of hardener, here in Florida.
I make small blobs, add hardener according to instructions, and
apply it quickly, but smoothly. I use a small rectangular razor blade to apply it, which really can apply it nicely. ( I also use rubber gloves to keep the hands clean, as well as a respirator as it does smell very nasty )
It does harden fairly quick, so make small amounts of it at a time.

Keep us updated, excellent work !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 am

Thanks for the kind words, 70th Division.

I try not use the metal filler as a crutch, but the stuff is so easy to apply and sand down that sometimes I get a little carried away. The MULTI-ALU I've been using is about $15 a quart here in Indiana, but its chemistry might be different to the product you're using.

I'm still waffling on the rear panel repair. I got from wanting to rip it all out to wanting to cut and patch. I still haven't made up my mind.

Finally, what's the best way to install the wiring harness? Off the frame or on the frame? Or, does it matter?
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

horrocks
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by horrocks » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 am

Ez8 wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:48 am
Thanks for the kind words, 70th Division.

I try not use the metal filler as a crutch, but the stuff is so easy to apply and sand down that sometimes I get a little carried away. The MULTI-ALU I've been using is about $15 a quart here in Indiana, but its chemistry might be different to the product you're using.

I'm still waffling on the rear panel repair. I got from wanting to rip it all out to wanting to cut and patch. I still haven't made up my mind.

Finally, what's the best way to install the wiring harness? Off the frame or on the frame? Or, does it matter?
Off, tub standing up on the rear panel.
Toby

Willys MB 3/13/42 127415
Willys MB 1/9/45 404620

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:25 pm

The weather here my corner of Indiana was really nice this weekend so it was prime time for working out in the shop and getting some progress made.

I wanted to tackle the rear panel because it's the last bit that is holding me up from getting the body back on the frame. All the other bits I can work on while it's in place. Some of you may recall my thread in the technical section about whether to replace my rear panel or not. I lamented over removing so much original steel and eventually settled on trying to repair the existing rear panel.

At work there was a gentleman who would repair almost anything as a hobby. Vacuum tube stereos, coffee machines, waffle irons. He even repaired my wife's hair dryer. He was an electrical engineer and was fascinated with the way things were built both on and off the job. One weekend he completely disassembled his Mazda Miata's instrument panel to fix something and had it back together before Monday. I asked him how he knew so much about all these different things and he told me, 「人間が作れば、人間が直せる。」Which wasn't a weird thing for him to say since he was Japanese. But, what he was saying was "If a human made it, a human can fix it." Ever since he said that I've used the same mantra when approaching things in my workshop.

Here's the rear panel. Lots of little holes to fill, some damage to the trailer socket portal.

Anyway, here's a hole on the driver's side of the rear panel. There was (foreshadowing!) another on the passenger's side as well.

My attempt to fill this hole came down to 1. Cut and patch 2. Paste over with multi-alu filler. Option 2 wouldn't give me the result I wanted so I decided to cut and patch. However, because of the bracket for the body to frame bolt that is behind this hole, cut and patch was more difficult. I tried to weld a thin strip of metal into the hole and weld it in place. I was thinking that if I filled it with enough garbage I could eventually just fill the gap with bead and grind it down smooth. I tell folks at work who don't know that I weld that I do all my best welding with an angle grinder.

However, I didn't like the way it turned out when I welded it all together and I had the Joe's Motor Pool rear panel just sitting there...and well, time makes fools of us all.

And that's where I am as of tonight. Cutting out the big chunks was easy, but doing the clean up to remove all the little spot welded strips is going to take me a few nights this week.

I did notice on the driver's side inner toolbox wall there were no spot welds holding the rear panel to the tool box. I guess we'll have to go back and rescind Betty and Ethel's Production "E". :lol:
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Ez8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Ez8 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:15 am

And we're back. After doing a lot of heavy surgery on the rear end of this jeep, I am proud to report the patient is in full recovery.
I was tempted to simply epoxy over the toolbox areas as they were very heavily pitted with rust, but after getting in there and debating it out with myself, I cut them out and replaced them with fresh metal. The result is better than if I had used epoxy or fiberglass.

Anyway, here's some pictures.

Cutting out the old rotten metal

Replaced with new panels from Midwest Military. Dropped in no problems. Very high quality part.

I sprayed on some weld through primer on the exposed area, but ended up removing it before the install of the rear panel as I was having problem with weld penetration on some other parts. However, I'm starting think it was because of the settings I was using and not the paint itself. More experimentation is necessary.

After the tool boxes were installed and primed I was able to get the replacement panel from Joe's Motor Pool rigged up. It went in with minimal fitment adjustments required.

Welded in

Primed!

In the coming weeks I'll be putting in the main eletrical harness and gas line and getting the body mounted back to the frame. After that it should be a fairly downhill process to bolt things back on. Famous last words, I know. :lol:
MB# 215159 D.O.D 2-25-43

Boyso
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Boyso » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:11 am

Fantastic work as always! Keep it up!
44 GPW 231738 10/23/1944
MVPA #36162

Mark Jesic
G-Brigadier General